Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Just Recieved New EMS

I just recieved my new Portable EMS unit from Camping World. I picked up the Progressive - EMS-PT50C, Portable 50 Amp unit. Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas I picked up here at MOC.

Question is: How do I secure this thing so no one tries to steal it? I know it has a metal strap on it for securing it, but how would I attach that to anything like a pedistal post or whatever? The strap does seem a bit weak. These things aren't cheap and I sure don't want it to walk off!

Thanks ahead of time, Scott

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Get a good size chain and a padlock. Wrap the chain around the power post and put the pad lock through both ends of the chain and the metal tab on the EMS.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
What he said about the chain X2.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I understand if the electric hook-up is on a tall pole that a chain would work. But many times the parks we have stayed at did not have their electric hook-up box on a pole, it was a short 3 to 5 foot high post or pedestal set-up just like in the picture above in OLDELMER1's signature. A chain around them would not work to well as you would only have to lift the chain up over the pedestal.

Just wondering how you all handle those situations & if you came up with some Amazing idea that MOC'ers are famous for!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I wrapped a chain around the entire thing, stalk and all, secured it with a pad lock, then covered it all with an old tire cover. If asked, I said I do that to keep the rain out. With it covered, you can't tell there is an EMS there, looks like a regular power stalk that happens to be covered.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just put the chain around tight enough that it can't be lifted up over the power box. Basically, if someone wants to steal it they will come prepared with a set of bolt cutters and it won't matter. If you make it hard to get off they'll usually steal someone else's where they can just grab and run.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

I understand if the electric hook-up is on a tall pole that a chain would work. But many times the parks we have stayed at did not have their electric hook-up box on a pole, it was a short 3 to 5 foot high post or pedestal set-up just like in the picture above in OLDELMER1's signature. A chain around them would not work to well as you would only have to lift the chain up over the pedestal.

Just wondering how you all handle those situations & if you came up with some Amazing idea that MOC'ers are famous for!
Scott,

Most power posts have a cover with metal sides for the cover to close on, I try to put the chain below this metal cover.

I guess just try your best, the chain will make someone struggle a little trying to get it off, so maybe they will just leave it alone and move on.

Also, I put black electrical tape over the display, just to keep curious people from wondering over at night to see whats flashing red.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I actually found a large padlock that would fit around the cable on the EMS and still had room for a link of 3/8" Log Chain, so I just wrap the post and add a second lock to secure the end of the chain to it's self. If someone is going to steal it, I'll make them work for it.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
6 years on the road with the PT 50C.Do not secure it in any way just hang it off the power pole. If it is raining or very wet will put a trash bag over it..
We have yet to read of one being taken.I think ours came with a device to secure it but have no idea where it might be.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I simply close the metal cover on the outlet box and put a Master Lock throught the holes on the side. Can't be opened so should be safe. Saves the need for chain.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the ideas. Think I will try using a couple of bicycle chains or cables and wrap it around the rear stabilizers. Just have to be a little innovative I guess.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Have had one for 2 yrs. Locked it the very first CG and since then never have locked it or covered it. Not a problem so far. To much hassle to lock it as every hookup is different. Guess I am just to trusting.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote