Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When I ordered mine on the phone they looked up my account and sent the one that goes with my phone. There are different connections for the various phones. If Doug's is only 11 months old he should still be able to get one. He was told the kit wasn't made anymore which is totally bogus. When I had a Nokia phone, I bought a cable from Nokia.
Happy trails.......................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #22
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We went with T-mobile maybe beacause we are cheap. We get 1,000 anytime minutes w/unlimited nights and weedends for 39.95/month and then added another 20 bucks for unlimited internet which has worked very well for us. The coverage is not quite as good as verizon but it has been very good. Very few places so far that i can't get coverage.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

We are on NEXTEL because so many friends and relatives have it and we use the walkie talkie feature a lot. Coverage is not as good as Verizon but no one plan covers everywhere. We also buy a hundred minutes or so every year for OnStar. We have yet to find a place in the continental US where it didn't work. It is a great backup and extremely convenient. Its only problem is it is voice activated so you can't access menues that require keypunches. That's just fine with me as I hate those menues.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #23
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the suggestion Sue. I did call the manufacture of my phone this morning and was able to order the cable from them. It was twice the price that Verizon quoted me though.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
When we FT, we are going to stay with Alltel. They are the largest "Regional" wireless carrier in the US. We have had their National plan for years. Our phones have worked in Nashville, Orlando, Milwaukee, WI, Las Vegas/Lake Meade, Central Manitoba (on roam), Mobile, AL, Asheville, NC, Washington DC, Myrtle Beach, SC... as well as our home base in N. Mich ~ just to name a few. Our daughter and son in law also are on our plan. He is on a work crew running in LA and FL on a 8 day on/4 day off schedule. He drives from his N. Mich. home and uses Alltel's system all the way down and back with no problem.

They also have office kits and high speed internet in some cities. Their customer service is what has us sold on them. So we'll start out with them and see if there are any problems we haven't encountered yet.

The only possible problem I can imagine is that their stores are not all over the US, like Verizon, for instance.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:25 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dsprik..Being in Northern Ohio Helen also has Alltel national plan for her cell service..I have cingular.We found that Alltel did not work very well , sometimes not at all in the Southwestern states, Oka, Tex, New Mexico, Arz also Calif.She also found that although she did have coverage in other places there were big roaming charges..On the other hand my Cingular national plan worked everywhere. She is changing to cingular also.Think that the fact that alltel is a regional service may hinder the service on a national level..It works great around here,Am using altell DSL now... You my want to do some more checking if you are going to be traveling around the country. Check out Cingular, verizon, nextel, T mobil. We alway make it a point when we are out and around to ask folks with cell phone what service they have and what their coverage is..Good reports on the above..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich. Alltel may not be the way to go. There are a few roaming areas, unless you go with their Total Freedom plan which covers everywhere with no roaming. But it's more expensive than what Cingular or Verizon would probably be. We'll do some research.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cingular Nation 450. 450 anytime minutes, 5000 nights and weekends. No roaming, no long distance. We've had truly excellent coverage with only a very few places we couldn't get a signal. Sometimes we can and competing services cannot. Sometimes they can and we cannot. This summer in Montana we had good signal in an rv park where several of our moc friends also visited. Two couples had both cingular and verizon. Neither could get a useable signal with either of those. They had flip phones. Ours is a cheapo Nokia, not a flip phone. So maybe the phone makes a difference in how well a signal is received??? Oh, yeah, we also have mobile-to-mobile, meaning when we talk to someone else on a cell on Cingular we are not charged any minutes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #28
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Not sure this helps because I have mine for work and not for having fun like you fulltimers!! We have a Verizon plan that seems to work in all major cities, I do use a Blackberry for work and there are some places that you don't get data coverage but cell coverage seems to be very reliable. I've used it almost anywhere east of Colorado, not much experience west of here.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #29
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Alltel Nation with 450 anytime min. 1000 min. nights & 1000 min. weekends. We also have a cheepo Nokia, we had a flip phone first and it wouldn't work in the area we live in. They said that the cheepo would work better.

Nice to see Steve is on line.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #30
Montana_4911
Established Member

M.O.C. #4911
Hello Gang,

What about service in Canada ?

Will Verison work good there ?

Thanks,
Montana_4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Canada is all roaming, no exceptions, as far as I have been told (Alltel). My son and his wife live 120 miles NW of Winipeg, MB and I would be extremely interested to find out if anyone is able to get some sort of plan calling from the US to Ca with a cell... Judy, what did you guys do on your trip to AK this year, while you were in Canada?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #32
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We use the Cingular Nationwide program like Steve. Our experiences are similiar to Steve's we have a signal where others don't and sometimes our signal is not as good as the others. Right now, it takes fits here in Southwestern Florida. In the evening we have a great signal, during the day it is really weak. We have had Cingular for a long time and are really happy with it.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #33
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
We are having a problem. We have Verizon as our wireless carrier and have used our cell phone to access the internet with our laptop and a USB cable. A couple of months ago the fan in our laptop started to make a lot of noise. In an effort to try and fix it, myself and youngest son managed to KILL it. After purchasing a new laptop, I installed the drivers for our phone and tried to connect to Verizon. After trying for several hours, I called Verizon and was informed that they no longer offer "Quick2net" and it was being blocked. After reading the many posts regarding it, I feel someone was "blowing smoke". The information I had before was the phone number was #777, User qnc and passwork qnc. What might I be doing wrong? I did not use it a lot, but was really helpful when I needed it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dennis and Carol, that is an interesting situation you have related here. Especially since I have not been able to get on the internet with my Verizon phone for several weeks. The computer said that it does not recognize my phone as a modem. "There are no drivers installed". Maybe this is the explanation although I wonder how they could drop all their Quick to Net customers without offering an alternative connection. I've done everything to get connected and finally gave up.

Cell phone in Canada? They sell some nice phone cards in the grocery stores and other places. And you get to stand outside and swat mosquitoes while you're talking. If you can get a connection on Verizon, it's costs more money and whenever you get a little north, you don't have a signal.

We had a good Verizon signal in the larger cities of Alaska, except Valdez where Cingular was the only connection we had.

Steve, our daughter uses a Nokia phone and seems to have a signal when we don't, with either of our flip phones.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Motorola cell phones. Over the years, I have used Nokia, LG, Kyocera, Audiovox... as well as Motorola (all with extendable antennas). Motorola RF antenna system is HANDS DOWN superior. Not even JMHO, it's a FACT... don't have a clue why the other mfrs can't copy this... or at least come close. My wife and I have always noticed a huge difference here in N. Mich when one of us had a Motolora and the other had a different brand. We just moved to a cell tower "challenged" area and we both had to switch to Moto phones (V710 for me, V262 for Cheryl) as NOTHING else had a signal. This is not just a one time thing, this has been with several models of the different brands of phones over several years... ALWAYS the same result.

*Reposted*
Old 11-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #36
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
After my earlier post, I tried to just dial #777 which was the number we used to connect to Verizon's "quick2net" internet access. I received a message that the number was no longer available. Is there some other number that you use to connect. Thanks for all your help.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #37
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have U.S. Cellular with a nationwide service plan - no roaming charges, no long distance - I forget how many minutes we have per month, but we never use the full amount, and there are very few places so far that we haven't had a signal - $49.95 per month. My only gripe so far is that you can't use their service for internet, but they say it's only a matter of time before they have the capability.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #38
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
dsprik, we leave in the Texas panhandle and have Western Wireless. After the first of the year this company is going to merge with Altel, so you will probably get better service in the areas mentioned to be a problem since western wireless is inthe areas and has excellent service.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
2golfers, I had heard about this. Alltel is expanding at light speed right now. I believe they are getting ready to buy up some more small regional companies. My only concern is that I hope their customer service could suffer. Right now it's excellent.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #40
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We have US Cellular as well. Ours is 88 bucks for two phones and we share 800 peak minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends starting @ 7pm. Have had great luck with them and get great service wherever we have been so far. They have been putting up a lot of towers in Iowa lately and it is showing.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote