Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Trip Report

Just arrived back home in North Idaho last week after a 4,000 mile round trip to Elkhart, Indiana to pick up our new 2019 Montana 3791RD. Here's how things went:

Arrived at the dealer early in the morning and did our PDI. We found a few minor issues which were taken care of by the dealer. Only problems we found were some hanging wires in one of the rear compartments which were tied and secured. Some rust and dirt on the suspension, which was removed and repainted. The glass cover on the stereo unit was scratched and promptly replaced. The entry door was too hard to close without excessive force, so it was adjusted properly. The ceiling in the bathroom was stained (not from leaky roof), and promptly replaced.

During the PDI I asked a couple of questions that came up on this forum in the past. Regarding the residential refer, I asked about the ice maker shutoff valves. As most of us already knew, one is under the kitchen sink. The second one is located at the very bottom of the pantry at the back (at least on the 3790RD/3791RD models). I also asked about how to totally shut down the refer without turning off the breaker. As some have mentioned, you can turn off the refer itself by the refer buttons but the light stays on if you leave the doors open while in storage. I asked where it is plugged in and was told the outlet is behind the refer. That's not the end of the story. To my surprise, while they were working on the PDI issues and without me asking, they pulled the refer out and transferred the outlet into the panty where the ice maker shutoff is located. Now all I have to do is unplug the refer from the bottom of the pantry when it's time to winterize. A good example of a dealer going above and beyond.

Another question I asked during the PDI was if I could borrow a ladder so I could install the observation camera that I brought with me. Again, without asking and during the repairs they installed the camera and tested it much to my surprise. Not much work but truly a nice gesture on their part.

We spent two days and two nights at the dealer checking things out.

NEW B&W COMPANION HITCH FOR FORD FACTORY SYSTEM
Before leaving home I changed my Reese Elite 18K hitch for a new B&W Companion hitch. For those Ford owners with the higher bed rails (2017 and 2018 models), the best setting is the middle setting on the hitch. At the dealer I was on a level concrete pad and with this setting both the truck and trailer were level with almost 9 inches clearance.

After staying at the dealer for two nights we moved over to the Elkhart Campground for one night. We then hit the road stopping by Custer Gulch campground in South Dakota for three nights and a couple of Walmarts for overnight rests.

SRW vs DRW
No, I am not trying to open a can of worms. Just saying ...... Like many on this forum I was convinced that the SRW, which I had earlier this year, would be fine for this trailer. After all I previously had a 39 ft. Alpine that I towed with my 2015 Ford F350 SRW just fine. The engine is the same as the new Fords. I stuck to my position for most of last year until I did the math and yes, towing the new trailer would be no problem but I would have to always be conscious of how I loaded it, including carrying water. My SRW door sticker weight allowance was only 3,140 lbs. The empty pin weight on the 3791RD is 2,835 lbs., not including the 155 lb. hitch, 70 lb. bed cover, two batteries, two full propane tanks, passengers and dog, tools, full tank of diesel, and whatever I put in the trailer. The difference between 3,140 allowance and 2,835 pin weight is only 305 lbs. I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2017 F350 dually before heading to Indiana. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. As many have concluded, it's purely personal but for me it's just one less thing I have to be concerned about. The ride with the dually is comfortable and stable (as best it can be with the stiff suspension). I couldn't believe how horrible the major highways are in the Midwest, including the Indiana toll road. Total disrepair and beyond acceptable.

The Monty is now resting at our other 10 acre view property on a full service pad where we can spend weekends getting away from the busy town we live in.

P.S. After posting I saw a discussion about satellite issues, so I am adding what I learned while in Elkhart. I talked directly with the factory rep that covers mostly from the Midwest to the west coast about this issue. Regarding the splitter switches that they install at the factory, they are basically generic. Reason being that the major satellite companies like Direct TV and Dish have proprietary switches and the factory cannot predetermine what to install. Also, the other main reason that most people have issues is the lengths of cables in the trailer combined with the carry out antenna cables will exceed the recommended total length to receive a proper signal. I proved that myself in Custer because I was lucky enough to be facing south on the side of the trailer where the convenience center is. I used a three foot cable from the satellite connection to the antenna and it worked great. When I used a 25 foot cable it didn't. So I guess the options are to rewire the inside cables; use very short outside cables if possible or go through the window.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good work. Carry capacity is usually what does you in and many do not understand what Carry capacity is.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Can you share the dealer's name?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Great writ up. I will contribute one thing, the coax they use and fittings installation is also inferior. I ran a dedicated coax from the LR TV to the convenience center and I use a 50’ coax to the DISH Tailgater. No issues at all.

Mark
Old 06-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You are one of the few who do the math. If you actually weigh your trailer then you might find out that the hitch weight is even more than you realized. My pin weight is 3480 pounds. With the DRW you can just load the wagon and not look back. You can over load the trailer but you want overload the truck. Glad you went SAFETY FIRST.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad things are going well for you. The only solution I've bound to the satellite issue is to move away from a tailgater type antenna and into a powered one. I use two Winegard G2+'s and one of my runs is 50' before you get to the convenience center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Can you share the dealer's name?
Tiara RV Sales.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Great writ up. I will contribute one thing, the coax they use and fittings installation is also inferior. I ran a dedicated coax from the LR TV to the convenience center and I use a 50’ coax to the DISH Tailgater. No issues at all.

Mark
The rep I talked to in Elkhart claims the coax it RG6. Not sure if that’s a new change or not. May I ask how you ran the dedicated coax?
Old 06-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Glad things are going well for you. The only solution I've bound to the satellite issue is to move away from a tailgater type antenna and into a powered one. I use two Winegard G2+'s and one of my runs is 50' before you get to the convenience center.
Mine is a Pathway X2. I recently bought a Dish Network 1000.2 permanent mount dish assembly that I intend to install on the side of a building at my other property. Same as the one at home. That will solve all issues while not traveling.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
You are one of the few who do the math. If you actually weigh your trailer then you might find out that the hitch weight is even more than you realized. My pin weight is 3480 pounds. With the DRW you can just load the wagon and not look back. You can over load the trailer but you want overload the truck. Glad you went SAFETY FIRST.
The pin weight I mentioned is the unloaded weight in the factory specs. The 305 lbs. sticker weight capacity after my unloaded pin weight wouldn't even cover the driver, DW and dog in my former SRW.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Congrats on the new truck and 5er
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Nice report!

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like a great dealer!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Glad you enjoyed your new camper and truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
They may use rg6, but on my 2013 they still used crimp on connectors. I would be impressed if keystone used quad shield rg6 and compression connectors for the runs.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
They may use rg6, but on my 2013 they still used crimp on connectors. I would be impressed if keystone used quad shield rg6 and compression connectors for the runs.
I use quad shield for my outside coax to the service center. I doubt that Keystone will ever use quad. Even the satellite guys didn’t use quad shield for my home installation.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They use RG6 but is of low quality just drilled through the side wall in the rear of the entertainment center and installed a outside connector so the sat connectors run directly to the reciver. It looks like it is OEM. The internal cable system is not the best.Did the same in the front bedroom drilled up through the top of the propane compartment which is the floor in front bedroom.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote