Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
gross dry weight

this maybe a stupid question, but i have to ask anyway. i was wondering does the gross dry weight include all water (fresh, black, and grey) tanks full or empty? someone told me the gross dry weight is all the tanks full.

timbuktu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
There are no stupid questions. The gross dry weight is with no water, LP or battery(ies) on board. The weight of these items must be subtracted from the Carrying Capacity of the RV. Hope this helps.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
FYI, there is a set of definitions about weights in the towing section of the owners manual. If you don't have one, there is a printable one available the MOC. You can find it in the topics listed. I agree with dreamers post.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We probably should define some terms. "Gross Dry Weight" as shown in the brochure is also "UVW - unloaded vehicle weight". That's the weight of the unit as it leaves the factory. It does NOT include battery, propane tanks, nor any fluids at all. Also, as described to me by a Keystone exec, this number is with "standard options". I'm not sure what that means but I think it's whatever all of them have. Any additional options you order will add to that weight. When you get the rig, inside one of the cabinet doors will be a tag showing the weights. The UVW on that tag is not necessarily what yours weighs. It will differ from the brochure. This, I think, is the weight the rig has with "standard options". I suspect the brochure weight is without any options but don't know that for sure.

There also will be a GVWR, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the max authorized for this unit to weigh with all options, fluids, gear, etc. If you exceed this weight then you risk the warranty and possible damage. The brochure doesn't show this on all years. GVWR = UVW + CC (Carrying Capacity). You can figure GVWR from the brochure. GVWR will not change as that's the max allowed weight.

Your unit will weigh, ready for a trip, somewhere between UVW and GVWR. If you are weekending/vacationing, you can probably estimate actual loaded weight to be UVW plus 1500 lbs, plus or minus 500 pounds. Wide range but it depends on how much you carry in the tanks and how heavily you load it. The battery and two full propane tanks will add about 170 to 200 lbs.

If you are fulltiming it likely will be heavier than that.

Hope this helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
for the 2005 3400rl, according to the brochure, the UVW is 11,380 lbs and the carrying capacity is 2390 lbs. those together equal 13,770 lbs. my truck, 05 2500 CTD, i believe is rated to pull around 14,000 lbs. but the 3500 CTD is rated for around 16,000 lbs and the only difference between the trucks is the one ton has overload springs. so i guess this is a two part question: 1. if i put overload springs or airbags on my truck, shouldn't i be able to pull as much as the 3500? and 2. the 3400 doesn't seem to be able to carry much weight. i am going to be full timing for the next 3 years +...it just doesn't seem that i will be able to keep a lot of my stuff in the 5er. realistically, 2300 lbs (carrying capacity) doesn't seem like a lot. i do realize it's a fifth wheel, but it's a pretty dang big 5er. has anyone had problems full timing and having too much stuff as far as the max carrying capacity? i'm not a pack rat, but i guess i'll just have to live light.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
2000 lbs. may be more than you think. But you do have to learn to be "light" in what you travel with on board. I think a few weeks on the road will begin to help you determine what you really need. If you are storing stuff somewhere, you may circle back by the storage place and reshuffle the deck so to speak.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
timbuktu78,
to answer your first question. No. Airbags and overload springs will not change the specs of the truck. Chevy/Ford/Dodge give those ratings based on what they truck can do with the power train, suspension, ect... There is nothing you can put on aftermarket that will increase the tow ratings. Your second question is more of a personal choice on what you feel in important to you as far as having with you in the coach. I will say I have the 3400RL and use it mainly as a lake cabin for 6 months a year. This thing is LOADED with everything a normal lake place would have. The only things I do not have installed yet is the washer/dryer and second a/c. I am right now just at 13,200lbs on the coach. You can change the weight of your coach to be able to add more stuff by only carrying 1/4 full fresh water tank, or make sure you galley/grey tanks are empty when you leave. By getting rid of "liquid" weight you will have more room to bring "material" weight onboard. As Stiles said, you may have to do some trial and error to find what you really need and what you can live without.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Find a Travel plaza with truck scales or maybe you have a place locally that you can get a true weight of your truck and 5vr.I just did mine about two weeks ago at a flying J it cost $7.50 money well spent with all the confuion of all the different weight numbers in and on these trailers. I got home and took out some things I really did not need.Less junk to ride around with,just adds weight.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
the thing is about the different ratings on heavy duty trucks is that recently i've been told the only difference in a dodge CTD 2500 and 3500 is that the one ton has overload springs. the engine, tranny, frame, etc are identical. i guess my previous question would be best answered by the local dodge dealership. also, i've also been told by another rv'er who is also the local university physcis prof is that the weight limits on the fifth wheel were set at a specific weight, but there's also a safety margin there. don't know how good the advice is, but he said that safety margin should be big enough that i can exceed those limits by several hundred pounds and still be safe. however, i do agree that the safest weight is what is recommended by the factory. again, i guess the best thing to do is to ask the dealership were i bought my 3400 at. thanks again y'all for all of your input. i really do value and appreciate your advice.