Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flymutt

I don't know guys...Three days ago I pulled up and both "future neighbors" came out to greet me. It doesn't bother me. I just start my proceedure/check list all over again and try not to hurry.
I agree with JandC, like he said,it was almost dark and he needed to set up as quick as possible.
He didn't have time to socialize,plus he was probably tired from driving.

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Not rude at all. When we were backing into the spot we're in now, we had to back around a trailer. Essentially, we had to back off the street and back in a U turn to get in our spot. We had so many "helpers" that I finally had to get out and tell the crowd to let me wife give me the only directions. Some got mad a walked away, but as you, we've got a routine that works. After being here 5 months, one little old man still won't talk to me. All I can say is, he'll just have to scratch his mad spot and get glad. I was as polite as possible, but I was getting frustrated with all the "help".
I've never had that difficult of a spot, but the same problems from 5 or so of my good tent camping friends and the first pull on the SOB 5th. Had to be diplomatic, even to my M-I-L, but now they know to just wait until I'm in position, the motor is off, and then come talk. Usually we have lots of time to setup before dark, or I might be a bit more forward if we're running out of light. I do like going over after we're setup and take a beer or wine to break the ice. Most people seem to understand.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
When we first started RVing with our fifth wheel 10 years ago, I thought men would come out of the woodwork to "help" my husband back into our spot because we looked young. I would be out there with a walkie talkie and only say anything if he needed to correct or stop. And so many times someone would come and try to take over.

But I've let my hair go grey and they still seem to feel the need to come and "help". I dunno, we must just draw "helpers" to us like moths to a flame. It's slightly annoying, but my husband is an extreme introvert, so he only pays attention to the job at hand and my instructions which are nowadays coming over our Bluetooth headsets.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Yep, happened to me this past October down near San Diego. Pulled in and backed into the spot; dropped the front jacks and raised it to clear the hitch; pulled the lever and removed the Emerg brake cable; dropped the tailgate.... just as I did that, the neighbor came over asking me some questions, taking my feeble brain away from what I was doing...got back into the truck and pulled away.....POW!! Yep, your right, forgot to unplug the power cord from the inside bed of the truck and it flew back almost hitting the wife in the head. Course it ruined the socket but plug and cable were okay. Now just have to drape the cord over the tailgate to the bumper socket. Lesson learned....you get into a routine, stick with it...

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:08 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Going back and reading original post from 2013 was interesting, but nothing has really changed John. Our "routine" changed this year when we changed styles of RV's, but we still have to do things in a certain order and use caution. So far so good. Sorry to hear you were victimized for being too friendly!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
One NEVER bothers someone when they are setting up or hooking up. Not only is it good manners but they might ask you to do something.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Don't know what is the matter with us we never have that problem." we posted this in 2014 and it still stands.Helen and I have been at this for a very long time and we do have a set routine. Why is it no one bothers us....Helen can be mean looking Irish person maybe that is it.

Helen and I have been as of late hobbled her with a fractured knee and me with a flair up of arthritis in the knee and we do not move very well. We have had several messages from fellow MOCers going to the NE rally that not to worry they will get us set up.That is MOCers helping MOCers and very welcome. Thanks guys...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
LOL! I like to watch people when backing in, you never know you could learn from their mistakes. I had a guy ask me today when he was about to back in if I could do it for him, and that was not the first time I had been asked. I simply say I will guide you but you will never learn until you do it your self. Shortly after that, same issue, too funny !
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #29
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
One NEVER bothers someone when they are setting up or hooking up. Not only is it good manners but they might ask you to do something.
That’s a great idea! Someone comes over and interrupts your set up just hand them your stinky slinky!! LOL

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #30
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Just start talking politics or religion real fast, whatever their opinion of things, take the opposite side. They'll get so upset with you, they'll leave on their own.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #31
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I just ignore all the "experts" watching the action! Any that want to comment can just go ahead because I ignore them and usually continue to ignore them after we set up. Finally, I still use a check list after 13 years on the road. I have not seen many others using a checklist to get it correct.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Most experienced RVers know we all have our routine, and are csreful to leave you alone because interrupting that routine can result in mistakes.
Yep, most old timers will leave you alone. I sometimes use a written check list. If somebody doesn't get the hint and keeps talking, I just say, "excuse me, but I need to get this done before I loose my train of thought."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:08 AM   #33
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
+1 on the checklist. My wife and I both have it on our phones. I've seen too many people drive out from under the 5er and drop it on their truck, or even worse. Always use a hitching/unhitching checklist as well as setup and teardown checklists inside and outside. I've seen cabinet doors crushed by slides going in/out, shower doors shattered because they weren't locked down. I even watched one guy drive out of the campground with his bed slide still out! Several other campers were chasing him down to stop him.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #34
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's happened to me several times, usually when breaking camp, more so than when first arriving. It's hard to cut people off, especially when attempting to break camp, more so than when first arriving, unless it's near dark. But arriving is not as demanding as leaving, as long as I've backed into the campsite. Once in the site and have the camper somewhat level left - right, the rest of the set-up can be done in the dark and interruptions are not so overwhelming, which has happened to us on more than one occasion.

It's not so much getting the interruptions and loosing the "pattern" or "flow", as much as it is the wife giving me "the evil eye", saying ... there you go again ... gabbing away when you should be doing something else! That's the REAL disruption!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have to admit to being the guy that would come over and ask folks if they need help setting up when I first started camping. Didn't take long for me to figure out it is better to let people get set up and settled in first then just say hi when you go by on a walk or something later in the day.

Some folks don't want company at all, others are social butterflies.

If someone comes over when we are setting up, I just tell the straight up "let me get setup first and then I will come visit".
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
I know some of you have been doing this a lot longer than us. When we arrive at a site we have established a certain routine. We set up and drop the Monte and do everything in a certain order and we each have our jobs and everything is double checked. We need about 20 minutes of paying attention to detail to make sure we get everything done correctly and safely. Arriving at one of our stops (Troy AL) on the way south we were next to a newer Class-A. As soon as we started our set-up the younger neighbor came out and started a friendly conversation..."where you from"...."where you going"...bla bla bla....I normally would have just stopped but it was almost dark so I wanted to get set up. I kind of threw some answers over my shoulder and he finally got the message and left me alone. I didn't want to be rude but on the other hand I would never consider bothering someone while they were setting up their site or hooking up their rig. I don't know, maybe I was the rude one?

You were not rude at all. My wife will get so mad at me because I love people and I will stop and talk for ever. You should see me at the check at line in the supper market. Anyway, what I do is I will stop and talk to up to 5 minutes then I say hey I need to help get hooked up before dark I share a beer with you in about an hour. Never had anyone get mad. Your doing just fine, I would camp next to you anytime....
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #37
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When setting up and breaking down, I have my "you better stay away face on". It works for all but the absolute clueless.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #38
Jpage

M.O.C. #25990
I see your point and have been there And certainly felt what you have. . But at the end of the day, if the worse thing that happens to me is someone trying to be nice, then it wasn’t a bad day. I use to get upset easy and if any little thing messed with my routine...and slowly I realized not to sweat the small stuff and there’s worse things in life than a overly nice neighbor. May be a Midwest thing. But that’s how we are wired.
Jpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #39
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
It's happened to me several times, usually when breaking camp, more so than when first arriving. It's hard to cut people off, especially when attempting to break camp, more so than when first arriving, unless it's near dark. But arriving is not as demanding as leaving, as long as I've backed into the campsite. Once in the site and have the camper somewhat level left - right, the rest of the set-up can be done in the dark and interruptions are not so overwhelming, which has happened to us on more than one occasion.

It's not so much getting the interruptions and loosing the "pattern" or "flow", as much as it is the wife giving me "the evil eye", saying ... there you go again ... gabbing away when you should be doing something else! That's the REAL disruption!
We may be Brother-In-Laws.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #40
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Several yrs ago I was new to 5ers my before, I was hooking up crew cab and tool box could not see the hitch, backed in, got out to look and needed to move over, I saw my friend close the tailgate, got in and pulled foreword, crunch goes my tailgate. I now do things in a certain order
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote