Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Montana_5403

M.O.C. #5403
Fiberglass Crack

I Have a 2002 Montana 5th wheel. I found a crack in the fiberglass wall this spring. The crack is under the rear corner of the bedroom slide. There is also a small crack at the front corner. I contacted Keystone, hoping they would assist with this since I don't feel that this should happen on a 5 year old unit. They requested that I take it to a service center for inspection and have the service center contact them and provide photos. I did this and approximately 15 minutes after I dropped it off I received a call advising that Keystone would not help out in any way. I later was given a quote or over $1,000 for repair. There is no indication of any moisture behind the crack as the service center suspected. The fiberglass is separating from the wood underneath. I also discussed concerns about frame issues with the service center. Has anyone else had problems like this or have any suggestions. Hopefully the attached photo is visible.

Montana_5403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I just talked with Carman up there at the service center and she told me they will give $325.00 towards repair or bring it to Goshen and get it free. 866-425-4369 I think I'd fix it myself before I give them $1000.00 I think they have a kit to fix this.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Montana_5403

M.O.C. #5403
This link will show the photo.

http://lh5.google.com/image/leo.mang...JPG?imgmax=512
Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Fiberglass repair is extemely expensive. I don't think $1000 for both cracks is too bad.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My suggestion is to take it to the service center if they are willing to repair it. You know you will get it done the way that they want it repaired if you take it to them. I am not sure they have a kit, but I do know that they weld supports in the LP tank compartments. They will put a expansion joint in the fiberglass where it is cracked. At least that is the way they fixed mine at the Cougar factory in Pendleton, OR.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Your profile shows you are in Plymouth, IN which is just south of Goshen. Take the rig to the KEYSTONE Service Center in Goshen if they will fix it for FREE. I seriously doubt your dealer ever contacted Keystone. It would take more than 15 minutes to get such an answer. Got a feeling your dealer is trying to rip you off for a grand and he probably knows Keystone will fix it free. You drop the rig off at the dealer. The dealer has it taken in and Keystone fixes it at no charge, the dealer turns around and charges you a grand. Dealer makes a quick 1000 bucks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Montana_5403

M.O.C. #5403
I'm going to take it to Keystone next week and show it to them, hopefully they will be able to help me.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
we called ahead and the service dept. set up an appointment to inspect our 2000 Monty- they fixed our crack 2 days later and we stayed in our coach using their hookups- they also did other repairs, some of which we were unaware of- we are happy MOC campers- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We were at Keystone at the service center (Camp Keystone) last May 06 and witness the repair of 5 or 6 Montana's with the flex frame problem and the repairs were done very professional and no charge. They have 5 hook-ups with electric and water and a dump station. You should arrive early as possible they normally schedule 5 for each Monday. You should call for a appointment as soon as possible they are very busy. It will be several weeks before you can get the appointment. Darrel and George will come at 6:00 am to get things going. GBY....

The procedures may have changed but thats the way it happened last May 06.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't just drop in. That is not a good thing to do. Call the service center, explain your problem they MAY be able to get you in, Call the number provided, have some patience, talk to Darrell or George..The more time you have available the better your chances are of getting in in a shorter period of time. They have a nice set up out back (camp keystone)and there is plenty to do in the area..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Great group of folks there at the service center. I had some frame flex repairs done to my unit a month ago and was treated very well. Treat them with respect and be honest with them and they will take great care of you. While we were there last month there was another couple there that had nothing but negative things to say about everything. They were still sitting there when I left on Tuesday still thinking Keystone owes them everything.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
Montana_5403

M.O.C. #5403
Here is an update on our problem. I contacted Keystone and spoke to Mike Mcgraw. He indicated that they had never received photos from the repair center and did not request any. He also stated that "Denny" had denied any repairs to our unit because it was past warranty and therefore he did not need to look at our unit or any photos. Mike stated that a customer could not speak to Denny. Only dealers were allowed to speak to him. Apparently things have changed at Keystone. I had initially sent an email to Keystone, but never received a response. I was very respectful when I spoke with Mr. Mcgraw, but I felt that their stance was that they would not negotiate with me since the warranty was expired. I still feel that a fiberglass wall should last longer than 5 years as this unit has very low miles. I guess this will be my last Keystone product. I will attempt to repair this unit myself, but my concern is that the crack will reappear since the real problem is frame flex. I guess I should repair it and sell it and buy a product manufactured by someone other than Keystone.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not know who Mike Mc Graw is.The fiber glass crack and "frame flex are two different issues. The "frame flex problem has been addressed by keystone with great success on campers of most any year,,There may be a failure to communication or lack of understanding going on here.

try calling The service center at 866-425-4369 ext 3946..you should get Darrell or George. Explain your problem as the "frame flex " problem. This is one phone 2 folks and they do not sit in front of the phone all day so it may take awhile to get hold of them. the Warranty is the warranty ..we may not like it or agree with it (I don't).. but..that is the way it is..any brand..any manufacturer. Good luck..
Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I know that richfaa agrees with me, so I cannot resist saying again:
"The warranty is the warranty" but it should be applied to all equally--no special favors and no one denied what others have received.

Fairness and equal treatment is the issue. Not to condemn nor to defend Keystone, just an observation.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO most of the problem is in Communication. Sometimes we do not communicate properly and sometime. the folks on the other end do not listen properly. It is a matter of finding the proper place to report your issue, the proper person then both parties have to be able to effectively communicate. Example is how long it took me to find the proper person in keystone who knew what the weight difference was between Gel goat and HI gloss gel coat. The question to ask was not how much does the Hi gloss gel coat weigh..but what is the difference in weight between the two. I had to communicate the question properly..then find the person who knew the answer..I have been accused of "special treatment" because I seem to be able to get things done,,it is not that at all..It is patience, perseverance and effective communication. Your observations are correct and we do agree.I just think we share in the blame for the unequal treatment.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Rich. Most of it is in communication. There are those who communicate in a manner that will automatically put the person they are talking to on the defensive. I've been treated very well by everyone at Keystone. I don't know if it's because I've been there in person and talked to personnel in Customer Service or whether it was my dealer that paved the way for me. They've bent over backwards to satisfy my concerns with my rig out of warranty over 3 years. In my opinion a good dealer can really be a big help. When I talked to Customer Service in person, they told my that my dealer was one of only a handful who really worked directly with Keystone to satisfy their customers.

Whether or not I would purchase another Keystone product is not up for discussion right now because I'm so satisfied with the one I have that I don't want to get rid of it!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Montana_5403

M.O.C. #5403
I agree and feel that communication is one of the issues that I have with Keystone. As I mentioned I sent an email to them initially and never received a response. I eventually called them and was advised that they did not need to see my unit or want to know what my problem is, since the warranty had expired and they weren't going to help me. Communication doesn't work very well if the other party doesn't want to listen. I don't have any previous experiences with Keystone customer service as this is the first major problem I've had. I can understand their stance and was going to deal with this myself until I saw that Keystone was handling these repairs beyond the warranty. The issue that I have is regarding unequal treatment.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #18
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Keystone issued a service letter regarding the bedroom crack issue several years ago. My copy is a couple hours from here so I can't give you the actual information. However the repair is really pretty straight forward. Keystone refused to cover any repair costs on my 2001 unit, out of warranty, third owner, etc. However, they did send me a copy of the repair letter and a 10" piece of "T" molding needed for the repair. I am not a fiberglass expert and my first attempt to repair the crack looked pretty good until I put weight on the pin and the crack opened up again. My second attempt has been holding for almost a year and looks respectable.
In my case I found the laminated side wall was still glued to the metal frame between the crack and the newly cut strain relief point. On the second repair I made sure the laminate was completely free from the frame, ran several layers of fiberglass, sanded smooth, primed and painted. It is hard to match the faded white paint exact but, overall the repair is hard to see without close inspection. I checked with a local body shop and they gave me a $500 to 800 estimate (without seeing the trailer). MY repair cost me less than $50 for materials and about 30 hours labor. I would have cut the labor to 10 hours if I had done it right the first time.

BTW, you can pick up a piece of the "t" molding at most RV supply stores. You may have to buy several ft but it is not very expensive.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #19
lcruzen

M.O.C. #3835
I'd like to put in my 2 cents here. I'm the original owner of a 01 Montana 5th wheel and had the bedroom slide crack appear recently. I called "Team Montana" and explained the problem and ask for some assistance since others have had the problem repaired when out of warranty. They told me to take it to the dealer and have them send photo's of the crack and they would make a determination. I did so and immediatly received a reply "Request denied. To far out of warranty". The message came from Denny Marsh at "Team Montana". I sent him an e-mail asking him to reconsider pointing out that reading this and other forums that they have indeed fixed this problem for people when the unit was well out of warranty, that I shouldn't be experiencing this kind of problem anyway when the unit is only 6 years old and finally, that a good friend of mine is the second owner of an 01 Jayco and recently developed the same crack and Jayco fixed his at no cost to him without the least bit of hassle. Denny Marsh immediatly responded with "request denied". I even provided him with links to the forums where all this was being discussed. I then made a request to him for the materials to fix it myself and again denied by Mr. Marsh. I have now purchased all the materials myself and with some friends direction made the repairs myself. After doing so and now know how little effort it would have taken to please a customer I'm furious with Team Montana, Denny Marsh, and Keystone. I will never consider purchasing anything ever again from this company. In about 3-5 years my wife and I will retire and purchase what I hope is our final fulltime RV and rest assured it won't be any Keystone products.
lcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote