Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Geocaching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Garmin GPS or Cell Phone GPS??

I have a Garmin 76CSx Hand Held also My iphone has a GPS app. What do you prefer?
Im thinking of selling the Garmin because I never use half the stuff on it. Except the tide table once in a while.

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, I can't help on the smart phone app., except to comment on the many logs I have read about the smart phones being not as good as the GPS units.
Check the Forum on Groundspeak and see what they say about it.
General rule for me is to Use something edesigned for the task, but again, I don't know anything about the app's.
Good luck on it my friend.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I feel the GPS works off its internally loaded software and data bank.
I feel the IPHONE works off its internally loaded software but pulls data from the internet. This means it will not work if you do not have an internet connection( either WIFI or Cell).
So if you go off grid or out in the open areas where there is no CELL coverage then you may not have accurate GPS data from your IPHONE.
Just my feelings.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I agree with Ozz, using a device designed for the task is usually better than one that performs all kinds of tricks. Last weekend we were trying to find a restaurant in a city that we are not familiar with. My son was guiding us via his slick Droid device. Worked fine until he got a call from the president of his company (a call which he had to take even though it he was on vacation). Thirty minutes later the call ended. Fortunately I had my Garmin handy otherwise GPS navigation would have stopped for the entire length of the call.

Having said (written) all that, I don't consider the 76CSx to be road worthy GPS. The phone does it better (voice directions, turn here notifications, etc.)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree with Don and John. Use something designed for the job, and not something that has to have an internet connection or needs a cell tower.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The Garmin 76Csx has long been discontinued and never had "auto routing" and although they were/are compatible with maps like "City Navigator and the US Topo maps the inability to auto route makes it less than desirable to find your way around in a city.

The Garmin GPS 60Csx (also discontinued)on the other hand does auto route even though it is a hand held unit as well.

If you are looking for a GPS that will give you verbal direction to a waypoint then I would recommend almost any of the Garmin Nuvi GPS' You can buy them with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts and they are becoming more sophisticated and less expensive.

Since you ask should you keep the 76Csx, I would say if you can find someone to buy it, then sell it. If you think you might be looking for co-ordinates out in the desert or mountains where no cell service is available then you will need a GPS to do the job. My Iphone4 has a gps app on it and I would never use that to find a precise set of co-ordinates, that is where I rely on my handheld gps.

I may be wrong because I have never tried the gps in my phone but I believe it uses cell tower information to triangulate it's position and does not have a true GPS receiver built in.

Hey if you just use the gps for the tide tables, there is most likely an app for that as well, so you don't need the gps at all....
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Just two days ago wife and me were in Modesto,Ca and Knew how to get to the store we wanted to go to so we left our Garmin Nuvi GPS home. After leaving the store we decided to go to a resturant for lunch and the wife used the GPS in her new ATT phone to find the restraunt. The phone kept telling us a direction then would tell us to change the direction to another way. After about three or four changes and a half hour later and never finding the location I said the hell with it and went home. Give me the Garmin Nuvi GPS, it always gets me to my location.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you are looking for a good GPS for geocaching, I love my Garmin Oregon 550, it has a camera in it as well. Really nice GPS. I would (and am going to get) the topo's for it. Many times I have climbed the mountain, just to find the cache on the other side, half-way up...
Should have checked it first on Google Earth...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The new ones with the topo available are really cool. Even the Rand McNalley 710 can be set to do that, but doesn't carry well once the hike starts.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Thanks everyone, Think I will keep the Garmin : )
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote