Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Tank valve screw up?

Ok here goes I just had the black tank valve replaced. In doing so the tech had to remove the shower gray tank valve along with the black tank valve. Once done he checked the black valve to be sure that opened and closed but did not check the shower gray tank. I am now in CA and find the gray tank will not open. So the question is what can I do to fix this myself? Could the valve just be over tightened? Or do I need to open the thing up and see if something is stuck in the valve.

Also a heads up. He cut an access hole in the material that covers the bottom of the rig and in doing so he sliced one of the hydraulic lines to my 6 point system. This just cost me $1,100.00 to get fixed. Well not fixed yet they are still working on it as they had to order a part. They now have a way to splice these hoses.

waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
If the cable handle is hard to pull, than he may of just put the valve in a bind by overnighting the four bolts. If the cable moves easily but the vale doesn't open than its a cable problem. I'm not a fan of cutting the coroplast, but since he did it should be easy to get in there and loosen the bolts a little. Good luck.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
waynemoore-- You mean to tell me the tech cut the hydraulic line and YOU have to pay for the repair? Ain't no way that would be the case if they did that to my rig. They would be replacing that line with a whole new line. I don't trust patch jobs on a high pressure hydraulic line period.
Heading toward your home base in a week to see the Winter Blast. You going to be home by then or still on the road?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
waynemoore-- You mean to tell me the tech cut the hydraulic line and YOU have to pay for the repair? Ain't no way that would be the case if they did that to my rig. They would be replacing that line with a whole new line. I don't trust patch jobs on a high pressure hydraulic line period.
Heading toward your home base in a week to see the Winter Blast. You going to be home by then or still on the road?
As for the valve problem, I'd say your tech put the valve in wrong, tightened the bolts to much on the valve OR put a twist or kink in the cable. Another charge that would be going back to the tech or dealer!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Rondo, oh yes he is going to make this right that you can be sure of. I will go to small claims court if I have to.

But here is the problem, I am 285 miles from home and I will be here in So Ca till the end of the Tax Season 4/15 or so.Then on 4/18 off on a 15 day cruse to get my sanity back after spending 2 1/2 months dealing with clients and the IRS. So getting it repaired here is about all I can do. And if the hydraulic people say that it can be patched then I will go with that because if it leaks they will run a new line. That said I will talk to them on Monday and see if they can just run a new line. Because this was not a mechanical failure my service warranty with good Sam will not cover this. I am not happy about that but can understand.

As for the valve I will climb under there today and see if loosing the bolts will free it as I can't take a shower till I get it fixed. If all else failes I will have the tech deal with it when he comes to fix the hose.

This mess is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Ideally the damaged hose should be replaced completely, however it certainly can be repaired and is done in many applications in the hydraulic world.
Here is a picture of such repair fittings that I carry with me all the time in my fifth wheel.
The installation of these does not require a technician and can be easily accomplished by anyone handy with a couple of wrenches. I think the items pictured cost me around $35.00 Canadian. A must to carry in our array of things we might need to fix the many problems with our units.
I would not hesitate to use them and am certain they will outlast the poor quality hydraulic lines used in these units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060080.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1144  
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Good grief! $1,100.00 to splice a hose? I don't know what this hose cost but would think that $300 should cover the longest one and about 1 hour should cover installation. Someone is trying to rip you a new one.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Irliguy, thanks for the information can you give me the source for these parts? Yes $1,100.00 is high but I am in southern Ca and they are doing this on site. But I will get a detailed invoice and see what can be done about the price.

On to the valve problem, I crawled under the rig and loosened up the gray tank valve and checked the cable. But the dam thing still won't move so I will get the tech to fix it.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You can go to a lot of the O'Reilly Auto Supply stores and they make up new hydraulic hoses for a whole lot less than the $1100 or whatever. They will make them up to any size you want and what ever pressure you have. I've done several lines made for my compact tractor front loader and they work better than the OEM ones.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #10
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Unbelievable.... the valves are separate and I find it strange the tech had to do anything to the grey water valve, I've changed both on a few units and its a very simple task, the instructions on the replacement valves are very clear DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN BOLTS... Likely reason he did this is he didn't drop the liner I suspect. In doing so and cutting the hydraulic line it is pretty clear the tech was an idiot.
In any event hydraulic lines are very simple to repair with fitting such as those shown above and they can be bought for a few bucks < $25 and easily installed with a couple wrench's. Given you have the access in the bottom cover now it should take all of about 10 minutes to do the repair. If someone is charging you >$1000 they are taking you to the cleaners and performing unnecessary work. This is all speaking from years of experience in the industrial world.......
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes the valves are separate but in order to get the black tank valve out you have to at least loosen the gray tank valve. Because the piping is in a u shape with both valves attached to that. I watched the tech and also a video on YouTube that explanation that problem with the Montanas. Also both valves are 3 inch which in unusual or so I hear.

So the saga continues and I am just waiting till 8 AM to call and see just what is going on. And why or when they are going to fix the valve?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Had no issue at all changing one valve and did not loosen or remove other on my 2015 montana
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Well my rig is back to normal, hydraulic leaked fixed, gray tank fixed and able to drain. The hydraulic splice is in with no leaks. The problem with gray tank was one of the flang gaskets was binding the slide so it would not move. New bottom cover and insulation in place. I will never let anyone cut into it ever again. As for the bill that is yet to be determined but they do charge $135.00 per hour. Plus travel time plus parts and materials you know the drill.

I just wish I was able to fix this myself and 5 years ago I could. Its a good thing I have a good business and can afford this. That said I will be talking to the guy who cut the hydraulic line and messed up the valve repair. I will go to court to get my money back.

Thanks for all the advice and help. You people are great.

Wayne
Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I know one thing for sure, If you own an RV you had better know how to fix almost anything yourself or you better have very deep pockets.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Irliguy, thanks for the information can you give me the source for these parts? Yes $1,100.00 is high but I am in southern Ca and they are doing this on site. But I will get a detailed invoice and see what can be done about the price.
waynemoore:
I picked up these fittings at a hydraulic supply house, they stock fittings for all hydraulic hoses and supply that market locally.
Any hydraulic supply or even repair shop should be able to get them for you.
Glad to hear these problems are behind you.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlpguy View Post
waynemoore:
I picked up these fittings at a hydraulic supply house, they stock fittings for all hydraulic hoses and supply that market locally.
Yes the repair kit he brought look just exactly like your parts. My next stop is a hydraulic shop by a set of those actually two sets so the next time this happens I'll be prepared. Of course if I have these parts it will not happen again.

Also I will never let anyone cut into the bottom of my rig.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlpguy View Post
waynemoore:
What size are those repair fittings?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote