Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Redwood Parks - NW California

Tomorrow we leave San Francisco and head for Napa where we will spend the next 5 days then we will head toward the Redwood Parks in NW California.

Any suggestions on campgrounds would be appreciated (as always)

Thanks in advance,

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Jo-Anna, last summer we stayed at Redwood Trails in Trinidad, but it was a RPI park. However there was a cg in front of our resort that was open to the public, I'm sorry I don't know the name but what we saw there were a lot of nice cgs along Rte 101. You'll love the redwoods and the amount of elk running around will blow your mind. Beautiful country!
Did a little checking and the cg is named Stone Lagoon Cg and RV Park. It happens to be a Passport park and the prices are Reg rate $27/32 with pa being $13.5/16, pa is only good for one night. This is a pretty area with daily trips to the red woods and dinning along the coastline.
Have a good time there!

on edit: phone number 707-488-2061
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Jo-Anna, If you are heading north along the coast after Redwoods Park, there is a real nice Oregon State park just north of Brookings, Harris Beach State Park. some spots are too small, some will nice. If you make reservations they put you in the back section "C" which has full hookup but no cable. If you can get there and find a spot in section "A" some of these overlook the Ocean through the trees. Yes its got a lot of tall trees there. Section "A" has water and 30 amp and cable but no sewer (dump site is near the entrance. Cost this time of year is about $19 a night. The park is about 1/2 mile past the town of Brookings on the left. All the sites are back ins.

If you are heading to HWY 5 north, you can take HWY 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, I have taken my 2955RL on it several times. There are some real narrow sections, just take your time.

Need any other information on the area around Grants Pass, let me know.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
You didn't stay in San Francisco to see the Olympic Torch!!! Well, guess you wouldn't have seen it anyway. If you go Hwy 101 to Willits and take 20 to Ft. Bragg, Pomo RV Park is great. Lots of trees, however, mostly backins. Take the Skunk Train Ride at Ft. Bragg. Even better sight seeing is the "Trees of Mystery" at Klamath, Ca. Take the tram ride to the top of the mountain. Also, there is a jet boat ride on the Klamath River. Don't know if it is operating this time of year The best place we found to stay at is Camper Corral, Klamath, Calif. 1-800-701-7275. You will not be disappointed at the Trees of Mystery. You can take
I-5 to Redding and go west on 299 to Arcata, then north. Pretty good road.
Or take Hwy 101 up through Eureka. A very scenic drive. I have pulled my 2955RL both ways. Don't be in any hurry.

Happy Trails
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jo-Anna, you didn't say if you have a place to stay in Napa. If you don't, try the Napa county/city fairgrounds. They just redid it and have full hookups now. There is not much in that area.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks Sue,

We have a dry camping spot in the Elks Lodge arranged by the friend we are visiting. It is in her back yard.

Jo-Anna
Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hey, JoAnna, we have just come up Hwy 101 from SF to Astoria, OR. There is a good overnight place right on 101 just before Garberville called Richardson Grove RV Park, in Myers Flat is Big Trees Campground which is right on the Eel River, next would be Patrick's Point State Park, then just north of Crescent City on Hwy 199 is Hiouchi, which is a short side trip off 101 through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. The drive up 101 is spectacular. You'll love it.
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
David and Jo-Anna,

I want to expand on the side trip I suggested to FT Bragg from Willits. It is approx 26 miles over the mountain range. It will take you an hour. Yes, Ft. Bragg and Mendicino is nice, but you would have to back track to Willits and Hwy 101. I made the mistake of taking Hwy 1 north after Ft Bragg. Lovely coast line but it crosses the mountain range back to 101. I have never been on a more switchback/hairpin 1 1/2 lane road in all my travels. I think I only met two other cars, not rigs, come by. Most of the time the rear end of my Mountana was in front of me. You would be cursing me the rest of your trip. Bob is right, stay on 101, like I suggested to Arcata and that will take you passed some Redwood tress, also there is a Elk preserve along the way. And again go to the "Tress of Mystery"
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Richardson Grove, Garberville, is also a passport america park. The cell phone service is non existant because of all the redwood trees and hills around, but they have free wifi. Nice managers and pull throughs available. We enjoyed our stay there.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! You'd think by now they'd have cut down all those "nasty" Redwoods! I mean after all we need cell service!

Imp, I couldn't resist. That is certainly a beautiful area. We stayed in the state park. Burlington CG. It is almost inaccessible to rigs our size. The sites are fairly roomy but the access road is the problem. Again it was those nasty Redwoods!

I have some pics on my PictureTrail site if you're interested.

Enjoy.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
It is fun driving through that area.. had to turn the headlights on to see and hoped we didn't meet an 18 wheeler coming the other way in the narrow spots. The trees sometimes are right at the edge of the road. They are gorgeous however.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 AM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We toured the Redwood Forest on our trip back from Alaska. Make sure you take a hike in the woods to feel the complete majestic size of these trees. Looking at them from the side of the road is not enough. Also make sure you tour Fern Canyon. They filmed some of the movie "Jurassic Park" at this location. We hiked back in this canyon, easy hike, but the scenery is unbelievable.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did the hwy 1 trip from Ca to Canada., not for the weak hearted but beatiful, plan on doing it again, lots of nice parks on the way.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks everyone!

We left Napa this morning and arrived this afternoon at Giant Redwoods RV Park in Myers Flat. Quiet here as the season hasn't started yet. Good WyFi (free). We'll stay here a few days and then head out to Klamath for a week.

Jo-Anna
Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

I did the hwy 1 trip from Ca to Canada., not for the weak hearted but beatiful, plan on doing it again, lots of nice parks on the way.
Do you mean 101?

Jo-Anna
Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Jo-Anna, put on your reading glasses. We just happened to pick up a magazine called "101 THINGS TO DO Del Norte, California Southern Oregon". They have a web site and they have the same 101 things to do up the Oregon Coast in different books. Here is the web site, have fun!!!

WWW.101things.com

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
ColoradoPriorMarines
Established Member

M.O.C. #20169
Reno to Trinidad

We are traveling from Colorado to Trinidad, CA for trip to the Redwood area of California ... what are recommended routes from Reno to Eureka area?
ColoradoPriorMarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
While in Trinidad if you have time try Larrapins restaurant. If they have Cornish Game Hens on the menu get them they great.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
ColoradoPriorMarines
Established Member

M.O.C. #20169
Larrapins Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kidd View Post
While in Trinidad if you have time try Larrapins restaurant. If they have Cornish Game Hens on the menu get them they great.

Thanks - will do!

John & Lisa
2008 F450 | 6.4 PS | full delete | FASS system
2nd Montana - 2018 3811MS
ColoradoPriorMarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #20
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Here's a link for the Redwoods http://avenueofthegiants.net/campgrounds-rv-parks/
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote