Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Water dripping

2011 Big Sky 3580RL. Eating dinner the other night outside the trailer and noticed water had just started dripping on the ground under the right side front propane tank. Opened the propane door and could see nothing. Reached under the trailer and the water was coming down from the under side of the trailer, running down the curved aluminum body trim. Checked in side and the kitchen gray water tank indicated full. Drained the tank and the ground where the water was dripping was dry the next morning. The next day I opened the right side basement door and there was a small puddle of water on the front right side of the floor. No indication where the water had come from. The bedroom sink drain pipe is on the roof of the basement along with the hot and cold water supply lines to the sink but no signs of a leak any where. Is it possible that some how a full grey water tank from the kitchen some how leaked from a pipe from the sink to the tank when the tank was full and some how got to the basement floor?

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

On our first trip after getting our first Montana we had a large grey water leak when we first started to move. We were going to move the camper to the dump station. It simply started pouring out from under the belly pan. This was on our previous model (2001 3295RK) we were told that there is a fitting above the tank that sometimes leaks when it gets overfilled. I personally don’t believe this should be normal. Since the galley tank seems to fill up sort of fast, I started leaving the galley tank open. I didn’t notice any more leakage. Even on our newer one now, I leave the galley tank open all the time. Some people don’t agree with that idea but so far I haven’t had any problems that I know of as a result. To me its much more convenient to just leave it open. I also installed a valve at the end of the sewer line to avoid any sudden surprises when we take off the cap. It helps a lot and gives a little additional storage for the wastewater.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have document our water leaks in several post here.

All of our water leaks resulted form the manufacturer not gluing PVC pipe joints, tightening water lines, or not caulking areas inside the trailer that are required to be caulked. We still have a slight water leak from the shower gray tank when it gets full. I just dump a little water out of it and that stops until we can get to a dump station.

If you are still in warranty I would recommend documenting these water leak problems extensively with pictures as well as copies of the dealer paperwork generated when they fix it. Don’t let the dealer refuse to give you copies of his paper work. You will need it in the future.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
On several occasions I have found water,a small amount, on the basement floor. Took down convenience center twice before running black water flush and finding leak. Tightened fitting and ended problem. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mine is doing the same thing, I think it is the fitting at the top of the tank like Bill said, you have to drop the belly pan and check it out. Leave the tank valve open when parked and hooked up to sewer, it won't do it then.
I have that on my list to repair.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I had a leak in the galley tank when it was full. The cause was a crack in the tank at the top corner just under the lip on the tank from which it is suspended. On many Montys this tank has no support underneath it and is hung from a lip running along each side of the tank allowing the tank to flex each time water runs into it. I was able to repair it without dropping the tank using a repair kit from Plastimend. I added two braces to better support the tank. Check the archives re posts on bracing the tank. Dropping the underbelly is the worst part of the job. I finally cut mine in half and just lowered the front portion.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote