Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #41
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
#1 is for use in winter temperatures where #2 would gel and damage the engine. Some companies do not switch to #1 but "winterize" their #2. Use #1 will lower your miles per gallon and reduce power.

HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #42
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use diesel 2 most of the year up here in the Northwest, around Jan-Mar the temps can drop to 20 degrees F or below and stay in the teens during the day and 0 or below at night. When this happens I switch over to diesel 1 to keep everything from freezing "gel" in the fuel tank. Diesel 1 will lower mpg but I would rather be able to start the truck rather than not at all with frozen diesel fuel in the tanks.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #43
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This all makes sense now. Thank you. When I lived in Upstate NY, I had an outside fuel tank for my furnace and I had to put kerosene in it (5 gal to a tank or so) to keep it from congealing.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
gassed up my Honda civic today at 189.9 per gal at a Marathon Station.They did not have diesel there but across the hiway was a speedway and a B.P station with diesel at 279.9..that is still a .90 cents spread..I seem to remember a time when Diesel was CHEAPER than gas.. What happened????Never thought I would see the day when I could say that my V-10 is less expensive to run than a diesel..The world has gone crazy////where will it end...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #45
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Just filled my tank here in central Florida. I paid 241.9/gal. Get closer to home and less than 5 miles up the road, it is 289.9/gal. What a major difference. I hope it keeps going down..........
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 AM   #46
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Wind

Just filled my tank here in central Florida. I paid 241.9/gal. Get closer to home and less than 5 miles up the road, it is 289.9/gal. What a major difference. I hope it keeps going down..........

Same here on the west coast. 2.41.9 at the Flying J at exit 10 of I-4 and 280's over here in Clearwater. Guess we are in the wrong part of the state.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #47
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
On the way to Helen, Ga. last weekend, If ound diesel for $2.59. The going price here at home ranges from $2.69 to $2.89. It was stuck for the longest time on $3.09.

I will be interested to see what prices are like in South Carolina next week as it is typically cheaper there.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #48
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Diesel is down to 2.379 at the flying J in Phoenix. Almost makes me want to go fill up just for the fun of it.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The price may be declining BUT the difference between Gas and Diesel is still 50 to 70 cents.That is not right folks.Why should we feel good about Gas declining to 2.00 per and diesel at 2.49 to 2.69...On our trip this summer gas was @ 156.9 per gallon with Diesel 10 to 15 cents higher...how soon we forget. I get a little red in the neck about these fuel prices because we do not have a unlimited income for our retirement travel and high fuel prices..gas or diesel cut into our travel....NOT to mention everything else that increases with the high cost of Oil.. I need to take a nap...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #50
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Diesel in North Texas has been running 2.55 for a couple of weeks now. Prices are 10-15 cents lower in Oklahoma for some reason.
Seems like they dropped fifty cents and stuck. Hope they continue to go down more.
I had my Dodge dealer run a computer program change on my 3500 and my mileage went up 4 mpg. Everything helps.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #51
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Rich, you are one hundred percent correct about not feeling good about diesel or gasoline prices despite the recent drops. We are still being gouged no matter what type of positive spin people might put on it. On two teachers’ salaries, the increased prices do make a difference for us.

I just hope the prices continue to fall to a point where I can feel good about taking a weekend drive in the Georgia mountains once again!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree J.D. and Rich. I always make the comment, when someone mentions how happy they are when gas prices fall 10 cents or so, that I will think about being happy when gas prices are back around $1.50 or so. I always get agreement from them when I ask them if they remember what they felt like when gas hit $2.00/gal and everyone threw a fit over that. Now they're happy about $2.30??? It's not that I want to be a killjoy, but I agree with you guys that we need to keep this in perspective.

J.D., I'm a RETIRED teacher and my wife is a waitress/manager of a small family resturant. I feel your pain (at the pump).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #53
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I am not pretending to be any sort of soothsayer but the fall of diesel price is only a temporary thing. Federal emission regulations combined with increased domestic usage along with reduced imports of diesel from European countries will continue to apply pressure to the diesel inventories in the United States in the upcoming next couple of years. Car manufacturers abroad are producing more fuel efficient vehicles that are powered by diesel instead of gasoline. Take for instance the VW Jetta, it gets 43 MPG on diesel and there are others in this class.

As you can see by my signature I drive a diesel and don't look forward to future diesel prices. Hello pocketbook....this is a wakeup call!!!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #54
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I am a bit surprised that people driving and pulling $80,000+ tv's and coaches are this concerned over prices.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #55
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Virgil,

Diesel prices going from $1.50 to $3.19 (more than double) has an impact on those with fixed incomes. As consumers we are not able to pass the additional costs on to someone else. Discretionary funds that we could use for other things are now going into our fuel tanks. So, the price of fuel or any other commodity that more than doubles in cost has an adverse effect. We either have to drive less or spend less in other areas to make up for the difference. I wish fuel was the only thing that has seen a huge jump in price, but medical costs (prescription, doctor and hospital co-pays as well as premiums) have seen double digit increases for the last several years. We are also beginning to see other costs increase as the price of fuel is impacting every thing we consume. So, bottomline until fuel costs moderate we'll have to camp a little closer to home.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe MOC should start a diesel co~op. We could lock in prices with a long term contract. For members only. No... I'm not going to be in charge... just my idea.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #57
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I am a bit surprised that people driving and pulling $80,000+ tv's and coaches are this concerned over prices.

Virgil, a lot of us budgeted for retirement and fulltiming in our RV at the rate of fuel a few years ago. We also built in inflation costs at 5% per year. As you know, diesel sure jumped more than 5% and our retirement income did not. Doing the math, need I say more?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #58
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I am not sure what percentage of your retirement is allocated to fuel. I will be retiring one day within a few years. I am using a guideline of 7-9% and slightly higher than that for medical costs. When I get there, I will adjust my standard of living to be within my means. That would give me 2 options. Drive less or sell it. I am not a slave to it.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #59
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am going to stick with my original plan on how to offset the cost of rising fuel. I still need to loose more weight, so I am using my food budget for fuel. Should keep the truck on truckin and the gut on shrinkin. (Hopefully!)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did pretty much what adelmoll did You could not have anticipated the increases we are seeing today.When you retire you will note two things..your income will decrease and it will be fixed and any COL increase you may receive will NOT keep up with increasing cost. I will get A 4.1% COL increase in Jan..not even close to all the increases in Energy, Taxes, Insurance, Health Insurance, Medicare. We will have 80K worth of TV and Rv because we saved 10 years to get it.What we see after 10 years of saving to live a dream is a some of that dream slipping away.. Many of us are struggling with the increased cost of living our retirement dream and some of us may have to give some of it or all of it up.We hope that those who will retire down the road will be able to live their dream.