Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Soliciting Advice on Installing a Splendide WD2100Xc in 2019 3120

Hi All,

I just purchased the Splendide WD2100XC combo Washer Dryer.

I plan to install in it in my 2019 Montana 3120RL and am seeking advice / lessons learned from someone who has installed one in the prepped front closet of the 3120.

Some topics are:

1. Advice on how to get it in the rig, into the bed room and staged for install?

2. Did you install the spill pan? I bought it. It has a drain outlet at the left rear corner. Any one install a drain through the closet floor to the outside? Advice on where and how to cut for a drain. Is it worth doing?

3. I'd love to get measurements from someone who's successfully cut the dreaded 4 inch dryer vent hole in the 3120 / 21 front closet. Sure would provide extra peace of mind.

4. Any issues, problems encountered or modifications required for the install.

Thanks much in advance for any input.

Jim
2019 Montana 3120RL
Silverado 3500 Duramax

jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Not difficult. Removed the rail at the steps. Did install drain pan. A buddy and I lifted the unit into the closet with straps underneath while wife guided. Re the vent hole, don't trust the decal marking for it on the wall, ours was way off. Use a stud finder or drill small holes 12, 3, 6, 9 oclock and center. Cut from the inside till the bit hits the outside, finish the cut from outside in. Check your water/drain line first. Front leg lockdowns from Splendide worked great. Make the vent hose as short and straight as possible.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Had our dealer install it with a drip pan.
So it was pretty easy to stage it
drain hose for drip pan was routed through the floor and drain is in the propane compartment.

The key is to not hit a stud.

I would also install water shut off valves in the basement since the water valves are hard to get to once installed.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dealer install.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Really difficult install in a HC381TH. There were foul words spoken. We didn't install drain pan and no issues so far. But I wish I had for piece of mind. As mentioned don't trust the location of sticker on the vent install. I used a sheet metal periscope fitting to get the vent turned twice and with very thin area behind the unit. A flex hose would not have worked in our unit.

If I had it to do over again in this type of floor plan, I would have dealer install it and sell tickets to the show LOL.........
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Thanks much for your feedback.

I downloaded the dimensions of the unit and have pictures and measurements I took earlier of the front closet, so believe it will fit without needing to modify the closet. If I have a dry day next week, I'll open it up, locate where the vent should to be installed, mark it and check the spot with the stud finder.

I'll wait for the unit to be delivered so I can double check before cutting .. just in case!
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
I installed a Splendide in my 2012 295RK. This was the vent less model. I put the pan under and the lockdowns. #1. it is 150 pounds and can not be done alone. #2. Had to modify the drain in the pan. so it would fit. #3. make sure the hoses are tight on the back of the unit. My guy did not tighten them, had to pull the unit out to do that. #4 Use the lock downs. They work. Mine unit has been in for over 2 years, wife is happy. Dry cycle feels like an earthquake. Good luck
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We had our Dealer install our Splendide combo in our 2010 Montana Mountaineer 326RLT in the W/D cabinet in the bedroom in the front of the RV. It took 2 guys to carry it into the bedroom with straps. But once in the bedroom they had to lay it on the bed and re-group. The 2 lifted it to the front of the cabinet and then 1 guy picked it up and hoisted it into the cabinet as there was not room for 2 to stand there and lift. Not sure how many hernias he got.

Our cabinet is not as deep on the left side as it is on the right as the cabinet is aimed slightly towards the center of the room. There was no room for the 4 inch dryer hose to fit between the back of the W/D and the wall behind it. They had to modify the back of the cabinet so the dryer vent hose could be routed into the nose cap, then over to the right side with another hole allowing the hose to re-enter the cabinet to get to the outside vent.

Make yourself a good access hole from the closet into the W/D cabinet so you can access the back of the W/D when it is partially pulled out to get to the hoses and vent hose on the back of the washer. One common reason to access this area is to disconnect the vent hose from the dryer to squirt water into that opening to wash a vent blockage back into the W/D. Our W/D cabinet is above a drawer about 17 inches above the floor. So I just made a collapsable table that sits in front of the W/D cabinet so the washer can be pulled all the way out to access the water valves and electrical outlet. Our washer electric cable became unplugged last year and I had to pull the washer all the way out to reach the outlet. Putting that outlet on the closet side would have been too simple.

I believe after drilling the round hole thru the RV from the inside out, once the pilot hole got thru the fiberglass, they put masking tape over the area to be dreilled from the outside in so as not to chip or scratch the fiberglass.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I did to get the washer in the closet was to build a 2X4 platform the height of the closet bottom, set the washer on it and slide it in place. I didn’t install a pan but I should have. To find where to drill the 4 inch hole take a small drill, 1/8 or smaller and drill a series of small holes inside to find the wall studs. You don’t won’t to cut into a stud.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
What I did to get the washer in the closet was to build a 2X4 platform the height of the closet bottom, set the washer on it and slide it in place. I didn’t install a pan but I should have. To find where to drill the 4 inch hole take a small drill, 1/8 or smaller and drill a series of small holes inside to find the wall studs. You don’t won’t to cut into a stud.
Lynwood
That's really good advice on the small holes to check for stud!!!! Wish I had done that on my install and will when I add the vent for convection oven!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
We had our Dealer install our Splendide combo in our 2010 Montana Mountaineer 326RLT in the W/D cabinet in the bedroom in the front of the RV. It took 2 guys to carry it into the bedroom with straps. But once in the bedroom they had to lay it on the bed and re-group. The 2 lifted it to the front of the cabinet and then 1 guy picked it up and hoisted it into the cabinet as there was not room for 2 to stand there and lift. Not sure how many hernias he got.

Our cabinet is not as deep on the left side as it is on the right as the cabinet is aimed slightly towards the center of the room. There was no room for the 4 inch dryer hose to fit between the back of the W/D and the wall behind it. They had to modify the back of the cabinet so the dryer vent hose could be routed into the nose cap, then over to the right side with another hole allowing the hose to re-enter the cabinet to get to the outside vent.

Make yourself a good access hole from the closet into the W/D cabinet so you can access the back of the W/D when it is partially pulled out to get to the hoses and vent hose on the back of the washer. One common reason to access this area is to disconnect the vent hose from the dryer to squirt water into that opening to wash a vent blockage back into the W/D. Our W/D cabinet is above a drawer about 17 inches above the floor. So I just made a collapsable table that sits in front of the W/D cabinet so the washer can be pulled all the way out to access the water valves and electrical outlet. Our washer electric cable became unplugged last year and I had to pull the washer all the way out to reach the outlet. Putting that outlet on the closet side would have been too simple.

I believe after drilling the round hole thru the RV from the inside out, once the pilot hole got thru the fiberglass, they put masking tape over the area to be dreilled from the outside in so as not to chip or scratch the fiberglass.
I wonder if the periscope style rectangular solid metal ducting would have fixed your issue without having to run the hose out and back in?? You don't have to use a round hose and the periscope type fittings only need about 2" behind dryer........worked for us.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #12
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
With the W/D positioned near the right side, the W/D cabinet doors could be closed but there was no room for the vent hose on the right side to exit outside. Slidding the W/D to the left about 6 inches allowed room on the right for the vent hose but the back of the W/D was against the back wall and the doors wouldn't shut. And they didn't want to route the hose into the front cap and put the hose vent in the side of the cap. I think they did the only thing they could do. This is a 2010 RV. They must have made these washers a little smaller back then.

With the W/D positioned near the right wall, there was only about one inch to the back wall on the left back of the washer. Don't think a 2 inch rectangle vent would have fit and if it did, it would have had to exit the right wall at the back of the W/D and that was too close to where the cap wrapped around outside. They didn't want to drill out there. And in that position there was barely 4 inches between the right back of the W/D and the back wall. The vent connects to the back of the W/D at the left back.

And even if they could make all of that work, they had to connect the hose while the dryer was sitting on the outter edge of the cabinet with one of the guys holding it forward at an angle while the other guy connected the hoses - water, drain and vent. Then as the guy holding it started to push it in, the other guy reached in the access hole in the closet and pushed the vent hose back into the nose and positioned the water hoses and the drain hose. If they tried to position it near the right side there was no place to put the excess vent hose as they slid the W/D into the cabinet.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3120rl, splendide, wd2100xc