Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
How many MOC'ers have macerators and what kind?

We're debating portable vs. wired in. We can install a garden hose connection to the home waste piping. Visitors with macerators could hook up. Thoughts? What have others done? Which unit for the camper?

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
We have a Flojet 18555 portable. We use it mostly when needing to dump when parked without a sewer hookup. It works well and did add a 12V plug in the connivence center. I carry a 70 gal black tank in the truck, so we pump into that and take the truck to the dump station.

Scott
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
We use the same pump a flo jet18555 I also carry a tote so if needed I can pump into it and take to a dump station. I to added a 12v plug so it is a easy set up. I did have to change the impeller 1 time I had not used it for a bit and the impeller stuck I didn't free it up first so it was my fault. Now just a little wd 40 and it's good to go. Hope this helps a little.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sewer Solution for us
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...solution/16617
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We use a Sewer Solution and it works very well.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We've had a Flowjet portable for over five years. Don't carry it with us, but use it at home with a hose to dump straight into our septic system. Since there's no free dump places within twenty miles, and we use the Monty as an extra guest apartment, it's paid for itself at least three times over.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
We have a clean dump (I think that is the name, we've had it since 2009). Ours is wired in.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
We put in a RV dump at home back in 1987. Dumps were hard to find back then.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Sewer solutions here. No worry about needing an electrical hookup. We put a hose splitter at the hydrant and use one of those one of those shriveling up hoses as we need to dump. We connect the outdoor shower to the black tank flush and let the water flow until the tank empties clear water.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We are visiting our daughter and parked in her driveway. Electric and water were no problem but no easy dump place. Bought a FloJet and hooked it up yesterday. Worked like a charm. I was surprised at how fast it worked! This will also give us an easy way to dump at home. Don't know how often we will use it but it will pay for itself in no time at all. Happy Trails, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
We bought a FloJet portable. Our situation is just like WaltBennet's at home and HamRad's when we visit our daughter. Thanks to this forum for sharing all your experiences.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
After reading the reviews on the "Sewer Solution" I find that it gets great reviews from both Camping World and from Amazon customers.
Sounds like a great way to get rid of the stinky slinky.

Amazon has the same unit for $75.95 vs CW at $94.00+ tax. Guess who I ordered from.I hope this unit works as well the reviews state. Time will tell.

Kountry Taveler
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am planning to purchase the Flojet 18555 unit and dump into the sewer cleanout at the house. For those of you who already do this, did you install adapters to create the proper hose fitting at the cleanout? This is what I plan to do to keep things sealed. A good quality 3/4" is also in the plan to run the 30 or so feet from the trailer sewer outlet to the cleanout at the stickhouse. Does this sound like what I should be doing?

Since I have a wide driveway and the rig is parked at the outside edge farthest from the stickhouse, I'll also need to get a "runner" to protect the hose from being driven over. But this means the trailer is 100% usable as "extra quarters" (full hookups, including sewer). Next on the plan is to have 50 amp shore powered installed for when we get our 2nd A/C. For now, it's parallel Honda EU2000s, since the garage only provides 20 amp at best and I can't run the A/C in that case.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I am planning to purchase the Flojet 18555 unit and dump into the sewer cleanout at the house. For those of you who already do this, did you install adapters to create the proper hose fitting at the cleanout? This is what I plan to do to keep things sealed.

Art we do not have any adapters at our home installation. We do not plan to leave the Flojet hooked up all the time. We will just hook and unhook it as needed. You sound as if you plan to leave your Flojet attached all the time. In which case an adapter would make sense.

A good quality 3/4" is also in the plan to run the 30 or so feet from the trailer sewer outlet to the cleanout at the stickhouse. Does this sound like what I should be doing?

We are currently at our daughter's place near Chicago and did purchase a 75 foot 3/4 inch hose. I couldn't find a 50 footer. Camping World has some adapters for just what you are planning to do. Your plan sounds feasible.

Since I have a wide driveway and the rig is parked at the outside edge farthest from the stickhouse, I'll also need to get a "runner" to protect the hose from being driven over. But this means the trailer is 100% usable as "extra quarters" (full hookups, including sewer). Next on the plan is to have 50 amp shore powered installed for when we get our 2nd A/C. For now, it's parallel Honda EU2000s, since the garage only provides 20 amp at best and I can't run the A/C in that case.

We did install a 50 amp connection to where we park the rig while at home. But we did this primarily for any 50 amp visitors we might have stopping by. At our daughters place we have only a 20 amp connection and find that we can run our one and only A/C without any problems. We do have to remember to watch our power load very carefully so as not to blow the circuit. So far so good. We've only blown it once. DW forgot and turned on hair dryer while A/C was on.

You should have no problems with what you have planned. Good luck. Dennis
Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks Dennis (HamRad), you must shove the hose down pretty far down the cleanout to prevent messy blacksplash. That's what I would most be concerned about especially since I don't know how much pressure the effluent is shot out of the Flojet. Thanks for all the comments; I am comfortable with my plan.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have both the Sewer Solution and a macerated pump. We have found that the SS will pump about a 100 feet. Over that, we use the macerator. We added a 12 volt quick disconnect near the sewer dump.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Thanks Dennis (HamRad), you must shove the hose down pretty far down the cleanout to prevent messy blacksplash. That's what I would most be concerned about especially since I don't know how much pressure the effluent is shot out of the Flojet. Thanks for all the comments; I am comfortable with my plan.
Art the effluent comes out of the hose about like a regular hose. Obviously there are many variables so your concern is well advised.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Our plan is to add a branch to the house's main sewage line that spans the basement, as if we were adding another toilet, then run the new line to the exterior with a P-trap (inside) and a reversed garden hose fitting, clearly marked, outside. Connect the exterior sewage line when needed to pump the black tank. We'll have to winterize the exterior connection along with our exterior water connections. Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Wesedge

M.O.C. #15732
Saw this thread was almost a month old but had to reply. We just purchased a flojet macerator. Worked great! We ordered through amazon prime and it was much cheaper than other sites. We are pumping about 120' with no problems on level ground
Wesedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Being dry campers, we have a Flojet macerator that we use if we're in a location that doesn't have a dump station close by. When that happens, I put the Blueboy in the back of the truck and fill with the macerator. When we winter in Quartzsite we are close to the dump station and I fill the Blueboy directly from the trailer sewer outlet with a hose and then pull the Blueboy to the dump station.
It comes down to whatever works at the time.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote