Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
The Peeling Graphics Gathering

We're presently staying in the Corral RV Park in Dalhart, Texas, waiting for the storm that's coming in from the west to get through Colorado before we continue north on our travels. This is a "no frills" RV park, but very clean and neat and with extremely nice owners. The price is nice, too: full hookups/free cable/free wifi, clean laundry room, for $20 a night. We're glad to have a spot here, too, because all day rigs have been rolling in to stay and wait out the same storm. The park will be full by tonight.

We are currently 1 of 5 Montanas in the park, and all 5 trailers have badly peeling graphics. I haven't met all of the other owners, but the few I talked to had either a 2006 or 2007 model and said that the graphics were an ongoing problem. As many of you know, our second set of graphics is now coming off, much to our disgust.

I wish Keystone had a representative in the area to come see how bad the Montanas look compared to the other rigs in the park, rigs that range from the low, low end to high end of RVs. Only the Montanas have the graphics problems.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The same is true out here in AZ. Many Montana's with faded or peeling graphics. Makes it easy to tell what's coming at you, the others still look pretty good. Of course with the sand storm going on here today some of the peeling graphics may get trimmed a little.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

The same is true out here in AZ. Many Montana's with faded or peeling graphics. Makes it easy to tell what's coming at you, the others still look pretty good. Of course with the sand storm going on here today some of the peeling graphics may get trimmed a little.
If they don't get blown off
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Ours too has really bad and disapering graphics. The disapering of them is from elbow grease and a lot of our time, peeling off graphics and then removing the glue. We will not be replacing graphics as I DO NOT want to go thru proces again....ever. We are thinking of having the rig painted and custom painted graphics going on. Would consider a new rig, but don't like a lot of the changes Keystone has made in new interior choices.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
My main problems are the Mountain scenes on each side and of course on the front. The ones down the middle and back are are pretty decent yet. Few small cracks with them but no peeling. My passenger side mountain scene started cracking/peeling less then a year after we bought it. Got it replaced on warranty and started to do the same thing all over again and is the still the worst looking one. A buddy has a graphics shop and uses nothing but 3-M vinyl. Work he has done in the past putting our business logo on vehicles 5-6 years ago look like the day he put them on. May have him try to somehow copy the mountain scene and put that on.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Bob Freeland

M.O.C. #8659
My decals are also peeling which started about 3 years ago. I am now removing the bad ones with a heat gun and use goo gone gel to remove the glue. Section at a time and lots of elbow grease, but it looks better than the peeling. They are many peeling on one side and the front mountains.
Bob Freeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Ditto! Same as all above.
2008 3400RL
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It won't be long and we'll all be running around with naked fifthwheels. What an advertising campaign that will be
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
wiley75
Established Member

M.O.C. #12851
I bought a new 2012 295RKD Mountaineer in Sept 2012. Dang decals on front are already coming up on the edges. I've used the trailer once so far, and have only pulled it about 300 miles. Ridiculous.

I wonder if warranty will pay the labor to remove the old ones but not install new ones. Anybody know?
wiley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Don't know if this will make you feel better or not but Montana is not the only one. We traded our 2004 Sunnybrook last year and I had removed most of my decals because of peeling. Our previous 1999 Sunnybrook still had good graphics when it was traded in 2004.

While staying at Gulf Shores this winter there was a Sportsman that had all decals removed because of peeling. I think decal manufacturing must be outsource to China.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
wiley75, I don't think Keystone will help you with the labor charges to remove/replace the graphics. We were told by Keystone that the labor would be covered, along with the graphics (on the first replacement deal, when the graphics started peeling less than a year after we bought our trailer). However, that offer disappeared quickly, and we had to pay for most of the labor, which was outrageous. This time around, no labor will be covered. That means in addition to paying the original price for our Montana, we'll now have a couple of thousand more invested into fixing--twice--what is Keystone's problem.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We have a 2006 2955RL with the graphic disease. I havew contacted keystone several times, and they are not interested, despite the numerous problems that have been reported to them. You would think they would want to get this problem addressed, because of the adverse publicity involved due to the shoddy looking graphics.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
wiley75
Established Member

M.O.C. #12851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

wiley75, I don't think Keystone will help you with the labor charges to remove/replace the graphics. We were told by Keystone that the labor would be covered, along with the graphics (on the first replacement deal, when the graphics started peeling less than a year after we bought our trailer). However, that offer disappeared quickly, and we had to pay for most of the labor, which was outrageous. This time around, no labor will be covered. That means in addition to paying the original price for our Montana, we'll now have a couple of thousand more invested into fixing--twice--what is Keystone's problem.

Carolyn, wow! That is absurd. Seems to me that failing decals within the first year of ownership would clearly be covered as a "defect in materials and workmanship" which is what warranty is supposed to cover. It sounds like they are playing hardball, which is BS. Thanks for the info

Carolyn
wiley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I suspect painted on graphics would be immensely expensive but wouldn't that be nice!!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have had 3 sets of nose graphics replaced at the rallies since 08. Our 08 340RLQ Big Sky came with partial paint but the nose has peeled 3 times and the last graphics job on the nose was in Sept of 11 peeled 2.5 inches by Dec of that same year. This spring I took an exacto knife and trimmed the entire front graphic 2 inches and discovered that the entire graphic on the bedroom slide was split in 4 places. I am very discouraged with the lack of quality in the graphics. Not sure what my next step is. Probably just strip the front and let the other graphics advertise the Montana Brand.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Maybe that's why Heartland Bighorns now have the top sales spot...?
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #17
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
our theroy i why advertise for them if they don't care what they look like. Ours wil be naked soon, and if we do paint it will be custom and not advertising.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

No comment..........................
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

No comment..........................
Don, you’ve only been waiting since 2007. Why no comment
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
This graphics deal is one reason we have been looking at SOBs. We like our Montana but it seems to be a lack of concern on Keystone part with this problem on going for to long and the price of these things is not reducing..
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote