Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Lippert Technical Support Rates Five Stars!!

I was having problems with my Lippert Level-Up hydraulic system, which refused to run sometimes then quit completely. I searched the Lippert website for technical support, and found a lot of references on trouble shooting and repairs. Someone suggested calling Lippert's tech support center and I found them to be very helpful. They talked me through some diagnostics, using my multimeter to measure the voltage reaching the hydraulic power unit. We confirmed that the power unit motor was faulty on my 2012 Montana 3150RL. They also mentioned that tapping it lightly with a hammer might make it work again, at least on a temporary basis, and this was not documented on their website. I was very happy with the support, especially since it gave me a temporary 'fix' and confirmed what part needed to be replaced.

The components of the Level-Up system are expensive, and I was glad to not be at the mercy of an RV tech, who might take the shotgun approach of replacing parts till it was fixed. The hydraulic power unit is a $900 part, which I ordered, replaced myself (not too hard), and I avoided an RV service center wait and labor charges. It works again. The new motor sounds strong, and to my now educated ear the old motor sounded weak and the sound oscillated.

My advice is to call them early on any problem with a Lippert component, and there are lots of Lippert components in these campers! They can help you avoid frustration and costly labor charges. If you are a little bit handy and have tools, you can replace faulty components yourself.

goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
PS: If you have never read your service manual on how to manually operate your hydraulic system, you should. Also, make sure you have the tools needed which for me were a power drill, a 1/4" hex drill bit, a 5/32" hex wrench, and a right angle drill bit adapter.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I agree that Lippert has excellent service over the phone. It sounds like the Hydraulic systems are relatively trouble free. I wish I could say the same for the 6 point electric system
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Always came thru for us as well.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Awesome tech support a real pleasure to deal with unlike Keystone support
Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- You should have received a quarter inch hex head long extension in your unit when you got it unless you bought it from an individual. They may have taken it out and kept it. Our unit came with one and I also have a spare-- just in case! LOL It was in with my manual in the plastic bag and if you didn't find it there it may have been in one of the drawers in the kitchen area. It is a flex extension and is to be used on the hydraulic pump IF it should ever fail. There is a stick on label on the pump where the hex extension goes into. Just peel that label off, stick the extension in the hole and attach a drill and hang on for the pump to bring in the sides and level-up legs up in an emergency of no power or whatever. Glad you got it working and you're able to use the unit for what it was made for "enjoying the great outdoors"!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
<snip>
...We confirmed that the power unit motor was faulty on my 2012 Montana 3150RL. They also mentioned that tapping it lightly with a hammer might make it work again, at least on a temporary basis, and this was not documented on their website....

...The hydraulic power unit is a $900 part...
</snip>
I had the same experience on my 2012. The motor was intermittent but usually would work after hitting it up alongside the head with a screw driver handle. When it finally quit, I went through the LCI diagnostic process and identified the pump motor to be the culprit. I call LCI and talked to their tech support. He had me re-do the diagnostics and agreed it was the motor. He had mentioned earlier that the motor is basically a 12V starter motor so you could say I was SURPRISED when he quoted $900 for a replacement. I had planned to do it myself, but at this price point I turned it over to my extended warranty company. That way it only cost me the $100 deductible of the $1,100 bill (parts and labor). That covered over 1/2 of the extended warranty policy cost and I still have 4 years to go (with a leaking galley tank and hard to open shower dump valve yet to be replaced.

The LCI guys are great and more than willing to help. They are a pleasure to deal with.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
LCI also has an app for your phone where you can call up their videos. Very helpful company, too bad more aren't that way.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have read and reviewed tons of Manuals. I have to admit percussive action to start motor has not been in any of them.

Nice to hear they were able to help.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have read and reviewed tons of Manuals. I have to admit percussive action to start motor has not been in any of them.

Nice to hear they were able to help.
Oh I have used percussion adjustments on many things, most of the time it did not work, but at least I felt better!
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemedic View Post
Oh I have used percussion adjustments on many things, most of the time it did not work, but at least I felt better!
Agreed, but it treated as an undocumented workaround.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
It did not come with my Montana, and I did purchase from a dealer. Oh well.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio

Tags
lippert technical support