Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #21
myheartsinaz15

M.O.C. #21815
We travel with 2 Chihuahuas and our 13 yo daughter, who are in back seat. The dogs wear harnesses, and are attached to seatbelt. I didn't want to spend 5,000 miles with the dogs fighting over my lap.

myheartsinaz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #22
Swanns

M.O.C. #23503
Pet travel

Our cat rides in a solid carrier. Safety reasons. I’d love to have her ride in my lap but have seen those same videos. I was at our vet and strapping her carrier in and our vet actually thanked us. Told us some horror stories so we use feliway wipes to calm her and take frequent breaks so we can take her out. Makes for a longer trip but with crazy traffic and drivers out there we opted for the carrier method.
Swanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Great to see pet owners care enough to keep them safe.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #24
Swanns

M.O.C. #23503
Oops. That’s strapping. Not stapling!!!!!��
Swanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #25
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Sherry View Post
Our Ram has the platform for us, but since wife works in dog rescue we also have the pet seatbelts that attach seatbelt mechanism to their harnessses. A good friend of hers had her dog on her lap and was t-boned. The dog didn’t survive either. The dog (she had just picked up into rescue) that was seatbelted in the backseat did live. Watch a few YouTube videos about what happens to animals in accidents and it really makes you think.
Good luck with whatever you come up with.
That's exactly why we took the time to come up with a safe system, I don't want to see people or pets injured. A little extra time and effort pays off in the end. I have a lot of family that are first responders, enough said.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #26
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I am a retired veterinarian-42 years in small animal practice. Multiple studies have shown that the safest way to transport your pets in a vehicle is inside a crate (e.g., airline approved or collapsible canvas type). We always take our one dog (soon to be two) and one cat with us on our RV trips and what we have done is put a nylon "liner" that I bought on the internet (attaches to the back of the front seats and protects the leather seats in the rear seat of our F350) and we have two crates in the back seat (soon to be three). Just my $.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote