Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Where to do repairs

As a full timer, where do you do your repair work or just general maintenance? Almost all the parks I have been in will not even let you wash your unit, let alone pull a wheel. I got lucky and am volunteering at a COE dam. The volunteers have their own campground, so I have started doing some long needed work. But, I will not always be so lucky. So, where will I be able to work on my unit next time?

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's a great question. in our case we work for Fish and Wildlife in the winter and stop for a couple of months at our RV home base in the summer so that's when I try to get those things done. Washing is out, but other things can sometimes be done at BLM land. Others I'm sure have some more imaginative ideas.
'
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I recommend Croftgate Wash and Wax. Mix two ounces with one gallon of water. Use micro fiber clothes. Dip one in mixture and squeeze to no drip. Wash a three foot square area. Wipe dry with another micro fibre cloth . Wash all surfaces, fiberglass, glass, rubber, black trim, will not leave residue. I've been using it a long time and am very satisfied. Learned about it at a rally. No wet ground keeps CG happy.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It is ironic that a lot of campgrounds will not let you wash your own RV or truck, however they have no problem with someone coming in with portable equipment to do the job.
We stay in Yuma several months in the winter, I have done a lot of electrical work on others units, I have had a wheel off my own unit. Their main rule is that you are not allowed to change oil or that sort of thing in your site. They do have an overflow area that I have seen folks performing more major work in.

I guess it is their park and they make the rules which usually benefit the park as a whole.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Not a full timer, but it's been my experience that most places don't mind you working on your rig as long as you aren't using their resources - as in washing your rig. They also don't want you to contaminate the soil with cleaning products used for washing the rig. I've never seen one that wouldn't let you work on or fix something, and if I did, I'd mark them off my list of places to stay.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Been traveling around now for a few months and been at many campgrounds never been hassled for taking my big brush out and "washing" my rig, most of the time I do not even use soap just water in a big bucket and spray bug remover on the cap and it looks great,I just make the first pass getting the dirt off then the second pass I refill the bucket with fresh water and go over it again to "rinse it" then clean the wheels with Simple Green Done deal in about 30 min as far as basic maintenance I have done a brake job and little things like that without a problem either
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Our "home base" CG in Illinois where we stay anywhere from 3 months to 6 months in the summer will let you wash you unit. They will even let you do some maintenance on it. If you were trying to pull an engine out of your truck or something major they may draw the line there, but normal stuff they will go along with. We have been traveling out west almost 3 weeks and have only found one CG that would let me wash my truck, none that would let me wash my Montana. Maybe I am just hitting the wrong ones.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I've never had a problem washing the bugs off the front cap as long as no one is next to me.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote