Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
For what it's worth.......

After reading and participating in many discussions regarding weight, weight ratings, tow vehicles and such, I got to thinking, I've never read anything here about any first hand knowledge of anyone being stopped on suspicion of being over-weight. So having some connections and being curious, today I talked to three different Commercial Carrier Enforcement officers from three different jurisdictions. I asked what would prompt them to pull over a recreational rig. I got generally the same answer from all. First, they are not concerned with rv-ers unless something obviously looks wrong. One example given was a Ford Ranger was seen pulling a 5ver obviously too large for it. The most humorous answer I got was "If you're shining squirrels, you'll be getting a visit from me!". He went on to explain it would not be just to write a ticket or to weigh the rig. "The driver would obviously need an education.". All said unless you have an MPSC number or commercial signage on your truck, you are unlikely to be stopped by them. He did say however, that deputies and officers are human and for that reason, you might run into someone on a bad day (just ask OZZ). They are concerned only with commercial carriers and keeping them in compliance and that load laws are designed for that purpose. One noted that recreational double towing would get a second look from him, but as long as the driver wasn't "being stupid", he would leave it at that. He also told me something I was unaware of. If the driver of a recreational double has an "R" endorsement in Michigan, maximum length of the rig goes from 65' to 73'. So, at least in Genesee County here in Michigan and likely other localities in Michigan, rv-er's like ourselves are not likely to be bothered. As for being overweight and having an accident, all said that fault is not necessarily assessed to the rv-er. That is not necessarily so if the other driver decides to get an ambulance chasing lawyer. But that's a whole new can of worms. This post is not intended to start arguments, I just wanted to get some good information out to some awesome people.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interesting, Thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was told that the Ohio State patrol would only stop a Rv for safety reasons. I was caught in a safety check in a Ohio Tpk Rest area once and they checked my horn, lights, turn signals license and registration and sent me on our way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
In all the years I was in uniform the only reasons I ever stopped an RV was due to excessive speed (for example 20 or 30 mph over), weaving all over the road, no license plates or temporary sticker, or having mirrors that could not allow them to see around their unit. In other words, what caught my attention was dangerous operators or possible stolen RV going down the road. I never even thought about weighing or doing any type of safety inspection on a RV vehicle. I can't speak for every Illinois State Trooper but I know most of the ones I worked with were generally the same when it came to RV vehicles.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I asked a VA trooper once about this many years back and got the same kind of answer. If you aren't a commercial carrier, they don't look twice. If you're driving stupid, you'll get stopped.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The CCE officers here in Nebraska are now State Patrol officers and they now have the right to stop anyone they see violating the DOT laws. Got a friend who is one of them and he says he'd only pull over an RV if he saw some type of visual problem OR if they were speeding. I laughed at his speeding comment since if he is on I-80 the speed limit is 75 mph except for construction zones and in or around the cities. If we're going that fast we'd better be watching the tires no matter what brand we have on the unit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

I was told that the Ohio State patrol would only stop a Rv for safety reasons. I was caught in a safety check in a Ohio Tpk Rest area once and they checked my horn, lights, turn signals license and registration and sent me on our way.

Ohio State patrol has a separate division to enforce DOT and commercial vehicle laws. To the regular Ohio state patrol the RV is just like any other vehicle and can be stopped for the same reasons any vehicle can. On the safety check mentioned above a MH was being held up for no lights on the toad a safety related issue and we have seen many rv's on the side I would guess for speeding. The Rv does not fall under the Commercial regulations so why would there be any need to weigh them.. Unless the officer thought there was a safety issue. They might do that at a safety check location..
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My next door neighbor is a retired CHP. His wife a dispatcher. He has been extremely candid with me regard patrol officers. While the officers doing truck inspections may ignore RV's, patrol officers in Bakersfield and in far Northern Ca look very closely. I live near I 5 and see RV's pulled over often. If they look heavy between hitch and TV they get pulled over. Crossing chains on travel trailers is a good reason. Last simply being from Oregon! Long suspected the last one, but it's true. They are looking for Ca residents with Oregon plates. If you ever have been imediately south of Shasta Lake. Between Bridge Bay and Mt Gate Exit is a speed trap. You come down that grade doing anything over 55, ( 55 towing) your stopped. Officers sit on overpass with Radar and usually 7-12 officers and choppers get speeders. That's when inspections occur. The weight officers are standing by. When you ask? Every morning between 8-12! Note: Ca has no yearly RV inspections.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We fulltimed for almost 10 years. Never a issue. Lots of stories on the net, but most are my cousin knows a guy who's sister knew a guy that had a brother that got stopped.

Don't due something stupid, you will be fine.

An example is when we went to Colorado a couple years ago, had my 35' diesel pusher, my CRV on the tow bar and my 6x10 trailer hooked to the CRV with my Polaris RZR on it. 71' over all. Not a single look from anyone, except maybe the cop that said, you will not believe what I saw yesterday while at morning coffee. Missouri, across Kansas and then up to 9400' in Colorado. Not a single issue. Now with the Montana when I double I am down to 66'6".

jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331

"Don't due something stupid, you will be fine."

Words to live by, towing or not!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Opinion on whether a woman (by herself) pulling a 5er on an interstate is more apt to be pulled over? Even if she is driving the speed limit and the truck & rig look all okay?

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I wouldn't think most state troopers would give her a second look. JMHO
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I got pulled over because the trooper said my truck looked over weight. So I told my wife she had to get out. That's when the fight started....
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I would think a woman wouldn't draw any attention other than " Oh a woman is pulling that. You don't see that very often."
Jay D
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I disagree, a women pulling a fiver, smoking a cigarette and chatting on cell phone, is no different than a man doing the same thing !
Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I got pulled over because the trooper said my truck looked over weight. So I told my wife she had to get out. That's when the fight started....
LOL Now that there's funny, I don't care who ya are!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

LOL....good one!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #18
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Artemus, you threw in a bunch of attention getting points in this equation. The theme of this whole thing is drivers not attracting any attention are usually not given a second look. I think anyone male or female drawing attention to them selves are asking for trouble. Its called profiling.
Jay D
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The wife does most of the driving when we are on the road and we have never been stopped her or I.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #20
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

Artemus, you threw in a bunch of attention getting points in this equation. The theme of this whole thing is drivers not attracting any attention are usually not given a second look. I think anyone male or female drawing attention to them selves are asking for trouble. Its called profiling.
Jay D
I love that phrase! Lol. Had not heard it in years ! Lol.