Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
How do they not know?

A colleague traded in an older Monty on a new Bighorn. After the deal was finished, I was talking with new owners. Asked if they were MOCers. They had never heard of us. I then told them about the Heartland o/c and they said they wood look into it. Am I wrong to think that something should improved in this area? Maybe a MOC membership app in each new unit, or MOC being notified so we could greet them. Just something to think about. HOOK

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's a great question and it's not unique to Montana. Several other manufacturers have clubs for owners. Recently I did a tour for folks who came from a park in Apache Junction where they own their lots so they mostly aren't newbies. At the end to the tour the talk got around to work camping and what we did. When I mentioned the MOC most of them didn't know it existed including the Montana owners and several of the class A folk discovered that other owners of the same rigs were members of a forum they knew nothing about.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Larry ... granted I mostly use my RV for recreation as compared to several on the MOC that call their Montana "home". When we're out and about at the lakes and such ... I always mention the MOC to Keystone product owners. I kinda talk of the "good to know" things that come from our posts and the great many subjects that are covered. Sadly ... the response is about a 50 - 50 split. Some want to know the web address to try it out ... others kind of look thru you and head on over to their bass boat with their latest new lure. Everyone's compass swings in different directions.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The salesman I bought our Montana through told me about the MOC forum. I'll bet there aren't many of them that know about it though.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They do or did list the MOC forum on the Montana brochure. Don't know if they still do??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
It's hard to figure why some people just aren't interested in joining us. We have some friends with a Montana and I have told him numerous time how helpful the forum can be and he just isn't interested.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

They do or did list the MOC forum on the Montana brochure. Don't know if they still do??
Yup Rich, it's in there. I noticed it last fall at the rally. It's on the back page at the very bottom in the center:

Visit the Montana Owner's Club web site
Independently created and maintained
by Montana fifth wheel owners.
www.montanaowners.com
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many folks believe that forums are of no value and many folks believe that they cost money to join.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
MOC is probably one of the more civilized forums. I read a few of the others and there are always members who are just plain nasty and ignorant. A lot of people just don't want to put up with this BS.
When you first join a forum is a little intimidating until you get the hang of it and get some positive feedback. MOC is pretty good at that.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
For an estimation at 12000+ on the MOC numbers and lets say 85,000+ Montanas manufactored that makes it near 1 in 7 having joined the MOC. If you could find the numbers on how many Montanas are used a few weeks each year verses more frequently as most here on the MOC use their RVs, then I bet this ratio could be cut down to maybe half at say 1 to 3 or 4. Even then at 1/3rd or 1/4th of active Montana RVers having joined the MOC it means that we most often meet those that are not joiners. Putting my crystal ball aside, some folks just miss the boat.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Number calculation doesn't work, you are assuming one owner, I would think that most have a new owner within a few years. I have met 4 members, after maybe 100 contacts. Also member numbers do not indicate user numbers. There are a very large number that are missing out on a good thing. I think a large number of dealers don't want customers to read these forums. We have a tendency to focus on the bad, not on all the good things associated with Montana's
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Yes, you are correct the numbers don't work for others, but they suit me just fine while I'm just setting around the campfire, it was just guesswork at best as referenced by the "crystal ball" statement. What ever the number might be the percentage of owners using the MOC reminds me of our country/citizens in general, most are uninformed while some make an effort to learn so they can make more informed choices. I like how this forum works, it appears to not be underwritten by the manufactor, and it narrows in on the "all things Montana" focus.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I always just casually mention it to people that it is a great source of info on their rigs but like was said before they do not seem to give a rats butt, most I think are just Vacationers that take it out for couple weeks a year
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
One other thought could be generational. I'm 62, and probably part of the first generation of baby boomers that uses computers extensively.

Times will change as the younger population gets older, and more computer savvy people join the group.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I for 1 sure find this a nest of information and there does not seem to be any negative people on here as on some sites. I even learned of the secret hidey holes in my Montana and I found a 1 oz .999 silver coin from the last owner in it.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The MOC web site is still listed on the backpage of the brochure, sort of like an after thought.
I do, however, use it as a tool when selling a Monty, new or used.
Even when camping, I find most Montana owners that I meet, do not know. I suppose since I enjoy it so much, maybe I expect too much from others. Still seems to me, that anyone who owns one would be well advised to participate. IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hey Shovelhead86 that's MY MONEY! I was wondering where I left that, I want it back please
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
And thinking about things we learn from other MOC members, Steve Emmel showed me our hidey place while we were looking at our new Montana at the Tampa RV Show in January.