Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Here is the correct link to the Southwest Chamber from DonandBonnie:

http://www.southwestvalleychamber.org/contact-us.htm

We have send e-mails to both the mayor, council and COC.

This is what we sent:

Dear Mayor and Councilmembers of Goodyear,
We have been informed of a very unfortunate incident in which one of your police officers decided to enforce his own personal laws and issue a ticket to one of our friends as they drove thru your town with his truck and RV. It seems that even though this friend was in full compliance of his home states laws by having one license plate on the front of his truck, your police officer decided that he would not honor that states laws. This friend also confirmed with the Arizona Highway Patrol that your officer was incorrect in issuing the fine. Since your LEO's feel that they will assist you in generating revenue for your town we will make it equally more difficult and will never spend our hard earned money in your town. We will continue to spread the word thru our RV forums which total thousands of folks who both abide by the law and stick together for common causes. Our forum alone has already had 4,100 plus hits on this very subject.
We are presuming that your local businesses will not appreciate the reduced sources of income but then again it does not sound like your town welcomes any outside visitors unless they pay their dues.

Regards,
Les and Sue Young

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Ozz, had you stayed in Goodyear previous Winters or was this your first time?
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Les and Sue, great letter! and I thank you for your support. This will help all Rv travelers, and maybe wake the Police up to enforce the law, but abide by our state laws. I hate to think about any conflicting or little known Canadian laws concerning vehicles if Goodyear can't even keep state laws familiar.

I was shopping there... Ice machine.... we are staying 30 or so miles out of Buckeye, a Phoenix suburb.

I just spent upwards of $1,000 on tires, computer, Dentist, shopping....... not in Goodyear...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Just sent them this: Just thought I'd let you know. The actions of your police officer ticketing a "snow bird" for having only a front license plate when that's what the state of MO requires will insure that the money we used to spend in Goodyear will now go elsewhere. By the way, the story on our forum now has over 4,100 hits and several pages of comments. Being a former LEO from Kansas I know what a bogus deal this was and like the laws of physics require: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Thanks Dick, I appreciate your support, and again, this will help other RV travelers. If... they are all not brain-dead..
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I'm wondering if you have also sent a letter to the Missouri Department of Revenue letting them know of the ticket you received in Arizona and all the resulting communication with Arizona officials?

It seems like Missouri would, or should, be extremely interested in your situation.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They should. When we get back, I am going to the local office and see what I can do to prevent this. (Other than the obvious of switching plates at the borders) I will ask where to send the story to.
A good suggestion.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ozz,

We sent an email to the Chief explaining how he and his officer might enjoy some remedial training in the law. Haven't had a response in over a week!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I'm gettin into this a little late but I have to say that Mike and Dick are correct about observing other state's regulations. Having worked as a patrol supervisor on the road as well as working as the HQ. Sgt.we had reference material to other state m/v regulations readly available (usually on the Sgt's. desk)
for quick reference for situations like this. A quick radio transmission or cell phone call to HQ. from the investigating officer requesting information would get a quick response from the headquarters Sgt. on what the law was in the state in which the vehicle was registered. In this case the plate was mandated by state law to be attached to the front of the vehicle and once informed of this, the officer should have let Ozz go so he could get his snowbird butt out of the camper friendly town of Goodyear.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Ozz,

We sent an email to the Chief explaining how he and his officer might enjoy some remedial training in the law. Haven't had a response in over a week!

Ha! I bet he is dreaming at night on how fun it would be to stop me on a traffic stop... Thanks Michael, hey he is paid to catch the flack...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

I'm gettin into this a little late but I have to say that Mike and Dick are correct about observing other state's regulations. Having worked as a patrol supervisor on the road as well as working as the HQ. Sgt.we had reference material to other state m/v regulations readly available (usually on the Sgt's. desk)
for quick reference for situations like this. A quick radio transmission or cell phone call to HQ. from the investigating officer requesting information would get a quick response from the headquarters Sgt. on what the law was in the state in which the vehicle was registered. In this case the plate was mandated by state law to be attached to the front of the vehicle and once informed of this, the officer should have let Ozz go so he could get his snowbird butt out of the camper friendly town of Goodyear.
Thanks Sky, I can tell you were good at your job. Not because you agree with my plight, but because you look at the situation and use your noggin. Right is right, no matter how strange one state's regs are. and I admit this is unique and unusual, but if you issue a citation, it should be valid. If you don't know, ask.
I told the officer as diplomatically and polite as I could to check with the Sargent on duty.... but as I recall, that is about the time he started yelling at me.. He took a really long time in his patrol car, which made me feel like he was going to let me go. NOT..
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #31
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have sent to letter to the COC of Goodyear also. I have your back also Ozz. Here is what I sent:

To the Governing Officials & Chamber Members,

A friend of recently went through your community and was stopped by one of your Police Officers and issued a citation for the way they were displaying thier plates on their vehicle. They were in complete compliance with their home state laws and regulations and your officer failed in his duties to follow proper protocal in researching or requesting information on the home laws of this individual. My friend paid the fine on the citation since they did not have time to stay in the area to go to the court hearing on this. The Arizona State Patrol has agreed that this citation should never have been issued.

If this is an example as to how your community raises income for your town finances it is a disgrace. The officer also voiced some poor opinions to my friend on Snowbirds who come through the area with their RV's. The forum where this has been shared has already recieved over 4000 hits and the word is rapidly spreading through the RV'ing community to AVOID the Goodyear area and spend our money elsewhere.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Scott and Sue, thank you very much. If I ever have to go to court.. I want you in my corner.
They can't ignore this wide response, if they do, they are the fools they appear to be.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
opinion sent to Goodyear, az
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Will be interesting to see if any of us that have written to them even receive a reply!

Thanks Ozz....I watch a lot of Judge Judy!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #35
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wrote a letter when this first happened and now an email. No reply in any manner. My guess is they think we're on our way home soon and by next year everything will be forgotten. Let's make sure this thread gets started again next fall before we all come down here again.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #36
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Will be interesting to see if any of us that have written to them even receive a reply!

Thanks Ozz....I watch a lot of Judge Judy!!
We LOVE Judge Judy....wish they were all like her...Things would be a heck of a lot better!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Great idea Dick, This is to important to just let it die off!!

Would be nice if there was a section where we could post these items as "Areas to Avoid"!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Just curious Ozz, were you rolling through town bobtail when you got stopped, or were you towing the 5er? Not that it makes any difference, because the officer was way out of line in issuing a citation in either case.

A letter to the judge presiding over the City of Goodyear, AZ jurisdiction, with copies the Missouri State code sections that pertain to the requirements for license plate display for your class of tractor, and proof that your tractor fits these requirements, I think that he would have no alternative but to overturn the ticket and refund the fine that you paid. I would include a request for a formal apology from the J***A** officer as well.

Even if you got it overturned, I still think that MOC campaign to "spend money elsewhere" should continue for a good long while, until the City government & PD gets the message from the CoC and local business owners that they are responsible for a big chunk of lost revenue for the entire town. Maybe a bulk mailing of a letter to all businesses(get a list from the CoC) in town describing the, who is responsible, what is being done, and why, might get some to apply pressure on the PD to get things right and proper when they issue citations to visitors. ....and maybe even get Barney Fife re-assigned to driving a desk instead of a patrol car.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #39
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Overlord, I was not pulling the trailer at the time. When we get home, I do some more work on it, you have a great suggestion. Hey, it can't hurt.
Thanks for the input... hey with a name like Overlord they would sit up and pay attention to you!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #40
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
As a follow up to our letter to the Chief, he replied and basically told us in no uncertain terms that his officer was right no matter what anyone else says including the Arizona and Missouri State Police. He pretty much said they do not have to honor another states regulations or laws.

So they can pretty much guarantee that Sue and myself will not being driving thru or spending our "legally" earned income in Goodyear, AZ.

The next letter goes to the Arizona AG to see how this rogue police force can operate like this.