Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The monster of Penascola Beach!

We are currently in a beautiful RV Resort in Penascola Beach, Florida. The rear window of the Big Sky overlooks Santa Rosa Sound. Last night as we headed to bed there was a sound outside the back of our Rig that sounded like the roar of the gas jet on a hot air balloon or perhaps the roar of a fire breathing dragon. It lasted a couple seconds and ended. With all of the Naval aviation activity near hear or close proximity to the water, we thought that perhaps the source of the roar.

The roar repeated three or four times. Time to get dressed and go out to investigate. Down the side of the rig I go. I ease around the back. Can't see much, it's dark. I take one step and get slapped square in the chest with some cold liquid. As I retreat, my mind is wandering. Is there a spurt in the Big Sky? Can't be, there are no water lines in the rear. Did I discover some previously unknown monster from the deep? Doubtful, but who knows?

So now with flashlight in hand I tip toe to the source of the roar. Poking my head around the corner I found that the monster of Pensacola Beach was a rotating lawn sprinkler that had popped up out of the grass. So now with peace of mind it's time to shed the wet clothes, towel off and return to bed.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Where exactly are you on pensacola beach? I thought the only RV park was Fort Pickens State Park?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
It's called the Pensacola Beach RV Resort. I'm hearing that it opened sometime last summer. After you cross the toll bridge follow the road around to the left. It's located just beyond the huge ferris wheel on the left. Watch your wallet if you decide to stay here. With tax it's $472/week and that's the winter rate. It jumps to almost a thousand a week in summer. We have a friend that got us a deal that made this stay affordable for us.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thanks guys,
Down the road in Navarre on 98 there is a new resort on the sound that is offering $425 a month.
Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Guess there is nothing cheap when you get close to warmer water. Over 400 a month sure is better than over 400 a week.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Florida can be high priced, but that view out the back window is worth every penny.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I guess it's a sign of the times. I keep looking for the "like" button for your "worth every penny" comment.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Thanks guys,
Down the road in Navarre on 98 there is a new resort on the sound that is offering $425 a month.
Mike
Mike,
What is the name of the resort in Navarre? We are home in Maine this winter but don't plan on it next winter. Heading South! Expecting the BLIZZARD tomorrow......

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Here you go;
http://strosarvresortnavarre.com/
They filled up quick with the $425 monthly rate. The only Montana I've seen in the park is the manager's.
Mike
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Here you go;
http://strosarvresortnavarre.com/
They filled up quick with the $425 monthly rate. The only Montana I've seen in the park is the manager's.
Mike
Mike,
Thanks! I'll check out the website.
Marge
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Your Monster story brought back memories of when I worked Civil Service and transfered from Saginaw, MI to Tampa, FL. We had a German Shepherd so when looking for a house we got one with a fully fenced back yard. Rex was a snake hunter and would have a fit when he found a rattler in the yard. The back fence was very tall, and was part of some sort of complex behind the house, but we had no idea what it was. One night after midnight Rex was barking like there was no tomorrow, and I assumed he found a rattler, so got my shovel (head remover) and flashlight and off I went to quiet him down. While searching the back yard for the assumed snake my nose and eyes were glued to the beam of the flashlight, not noticing anything else around me. All of a sudden something slapped me up the side of my head and scared the pants off me, and its a wonder I didn't have a heart attack. As I looked up, I heard a weird shrill honk and looked into the big eye of an elephant. The fenced in area behind our house was a winter home for a circus, which had come home for the winter. It took a while, but eventually he and Rex became friends, however I never forgot the start he gave me, so kept my friendship sorta reserved. Happy Trails, Steve
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Steve, Your story is far better than mine. Loved it.