Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Kitchen GFI won't reset

My kitchen GFI switch keeps tripping and will not reset. Not sure what could be causing it to trip. Went and replaced switch but still having same issue so know it wasn't the switch. Any ideas????

Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Moisture somewhere. Is there an outside outlet on the same circuit? Could be it has become wet from rain (are you anywhere near Ike?) or even just washing the trailer.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Or it might just be a short. I would start by taking apart all the outlets on that circuit. With a GFI, it will trip if the white and ground make contact. You might find something, or you might have to start checking with a meter.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Moisture somewhere. Is there an outside outlet on the same circuit? Could be it has become wet from rain (are you anywhere near Ike?) or even just washing the trailer.
As John suggested check the two outside outlets. I had the same problem yesterday. I thought it was the refrigerator outlet but found it was the outside double. The seal opened up and let water in it with all the rain in Goshen. I preyed the bottom lose and water poured out and every thing worked.
Check the easy things first.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Check the wiring under the slide. Check to see if has been pinched by retracting the slide. That's what happened to mine. Had to repair and secure with tie wraps to make it stand away from the frame when pulling in the slide.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, I have this happen occasionally and use the DW's hair dryer on the refer plug on the outside and the outlet plug on the curb side, especially after a hard rain or wash job.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I've checked both the outside outlet and the refridg outlet and both are dry. I haven't pulled all the outlets yet to check them but that seems like it will be my next mission. I'm currently attending a Military Active Retired Travel club regional rally in Loveland CO and a comment came up about the converter. Is there a reset on the converter?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I forgot to add, after taking off the outside outlet and resealing it - the GFI will stay on for a couple of minutes before tripping. Before that, it would trip immediately. I drove through a rain storm last Friday and didnt' stay in the rig Friday night. This started Saturday afternoon when we pulled into the CG. Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rick and Jana,

I do not think there is any involvement of the converter on this issue. Most likely as has been indicated by others..... a short or some wet components. I like Phil and Cathy's idea of using the hair dryer. Speeds things up nicely. Also check for loose wires in ALL the boxes on the same circuit. And it could be that the GFCI itself has gone bad and may need replacement.

Good luck and let us know how you resolve the problem.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Rick you may have a bit of moisture in one of the rear outlets, if your wiring is anything like ours (340RLQ) the rear outlets and the one in the big slide are all on the kitchen GFI. There may be a loose wire (ground) on one of those outlets or moisture in one of them. It is a royal pain pulling each outlet and the ceiling fan to check the wiring but that may be the only way to locate the ground fault. OR, it may just be the GFI, as they have been known to fail and are usually the cheapest available... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
If this started when you arrived in a new campground, I would check the outlet at their power pole.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I found this fix in Trailer Life:

Tricky Troubleshooting

Many times, the 120-volt AC GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) receptacle found in newer RVs will trip for unexplained reasons.

Though hard to find, one of the most common causes is moisture buildup within exterior-mounted electrical receptacles. A second contributor to circuit malfunctions can be excessive moisture in the rig's bathroom - a condition that can adversely affect the GFCI outlet in this area.

Caution: Disconnect AC electrical power from the RV prior to performing this maintenance.

The solution to both problems is to spray the receptacles with an ignition-wire-drying spray. There are several such moisture inhibitors on the market, available at auto-supply stores. When using, be sure to direct the spray so that all of the receptacles' interior parts are coated.

Authored by: Vincent G. Koroll, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, Even though the receptacles "looked" dry, there must have been some moisture deeper down. I like the idea of spraying with a moisture inhibitor. I must get some as that is a problem I do not need. One time I even ran an extension cord from inside of trailer (non-GFI circuit) thru the kit window to power the refer. I did not want to use the propane feature as I do not totally trust that system, plus why pay for gas when the elec is free.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have a 2005 3400 and I had the same problem. I posted as you did and based on the answers I started checking. Mine only tripped after a rain. I found that the wires to the inside receptacle on the main slide had been poked many times with wayward staples. That is close enough to the outside receptacle so I guess moisture was getting in. I sealed and taped the wires and haven't had a problem since and we have had a VERY wet summer.

YMMD
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks for all the info. I'm still trying to isolate the issue. I've already run the fridg on an extension cord to the elect box to save from using the propane. I'm currently checking and replacing circuits as we speak. As we are at a military rally, so we're trying to do this in between events but you know how it is with all these retired military folks, all kinds of help here. We're not suffering - just have to adjust a little. Will keep working on it little by little. Rick
Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There is a splice box at the rear end of the slide mounted to the trailer. Check if for water. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I don't know what model you have but on my 3400 I found the problem like yours to be in the 2 junction boxes attached to the frame under the kitchen slide both full of water after driving in rain same problem you have opened them up dried them out with a hair dryer and resealed with silicone and no more problems yet but I do keep an eye on the boxes. hope this helps for you I did replace the GFI first thinking it was a bad one guessed wrong on that one so now I have a spare
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Guess what?

My GFI receptacle in the bathroom, Don't work!

Just went out the trailer today to do some things.

I installed a working one & it works perfect. Put the original back & no go........

My dealer is giving me a new one under warranty. I don't even have to take the trailer in.

Cheers for my dealer!!

Also looking at the receptacle, it reads: Made In China!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Hey folks, thanks for all the responses. I did find the short and it was in the junction box below the main slide on the curb side. I opened it and water pored out. When looking at the connection - there was water sitting in the wire nut and it was corroaded. Now that its all been cleaned up, I have sealed up the box and all is working now. I'm glad there is a resource out there for helping others. Thanks