Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Back tank flush leak

I was back flushing my black tank a couple days ago and I sprung a substantial leak. Water started pouring pretty good out from underneath the cowling where the belly panel connects. Then I noticed water dripping out from the furnace panel/grill. Obviously this alarmed me greatly. I shut off the back flush immediately and the leak stopped.

Today is the first day I have had to unload the basement and take off the shield to the furnace/water pump area. I was quite surprised to see that the water line goes UP behind the shower. Why in the world would the route that like that??? The line was wet, so the leak is up in the wall (ceiling???) quite high.

I pulled the little access panel off inside my pantry. No idea why they made an access there. There is nothing but the back of the shower there - no water lines.

Looking through my sliding door crack into the wall, I was just barely able to see where the line was coming up behind the pantry. With the wrong tools, I was able to cut a new "access panel" hole in the back of my wife's pantry. I see the lines STILL are going up a stud from there.

I do not want to continue to cut holes in my walls to try to find this leak. I will call Keystone Monday, but does anyone have any ideas on this? And why in the world would they route that back flush line up that high in the wall instead of going straight to the black tank - DOWN from the convenience center???

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wow that sounds strange. I am sure Ozz will have an answer shortly.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
There is a vacum breaker in the line so as not to have an opportunity to contaminate the fresh water. Its mounted up high so it will drain better. Found mine behind the pantry sorta lower left side.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Add to--- just lower and a little left of the panel you removed when you saw the back of the shower.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ole Dude. That now makes sense. It is probably leaking right at that breaker. That also resolves my (and my neighbor's) idea of just cutting the line and T'ing it back in by the tank. That would essentially bypass my safety mechanism and this would be a no-no. I will just have to go on a hunting expedition. You have given me very good coordinates to make my next (and last?) cut.

Cheryl is REALLY thrilled about me cutting up her walls like this...
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Same thing happened to my '06 2955RL. The vacuum breaker (anti siphon valve) was bad. Dealer sent me a new one. Mine was bad from the git go.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
While trying to locate the crack in my black tank I got a very good look at the location of everything forward of the wheels in the under belly. My flush routes about the same as yours then heads back down to the underbelly and over to the curb side end of the black water tank. The dump being on the road side is at the far end of the tank from the flush so theoretically the flush will push everything to the dump gate. The flush is mounted midline on the end of the tank. So you will not hear much if you try flushing with a tank over half full. Good luck finding the leak... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Mine also sprung a leak, this device is very cheaply made and mine also was behind the shower had to cut a hole to get to it also. I piped mine straight thru and put a back flow preventer with a on/off valve "parts from my old sewer flush system from old TT" on the outside. With the hose being up that high it will still gravity drain into black tank when the water is off.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I will tear into this tomorrow so I can call Keystone on Mon.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The vacuum breaker in our 3465SA is located in the bathroom vanity just below the counter top. Too bad Keystone didn't change the location sooner, it would have saved you guys a lot of headaches.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dave,

Hope you get this sorted out soon. I added a Tornado tank flush to mine since it didn't come with one from the factory. When I installed it I put the backflow preventer right at the tank. Last time I flushed I had water leaking from the under belly. Well I opened it up on Friday and found the back flow preventer had developed a leak. This time I am putting it by the connector on the side of the coach so I don't have to open the belly again anytime soon. Lying on your back with water dripping in your face is no fun!!

Just tell Cheryl that the next time this happens you'll be able to find it much easier with the back of the cabinet all cut up.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Lamar. You're right. Anything that goes wrong now, I am ready - holes all over the inside of the wife's pantry. Cheryl was even more excited when she discovered that I used one of her good steak knives (needed the serrated edge) to cut the holes.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Remeber you can order those nice pretty covers to cover the holes up with, I used one from the washer closet to cover my hole just waiting for the replacement.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, pull off that panel in the pantry again and reach your hand down a ways. Ours is below the panel opening. Why on earth they didn't align the opening with the water line I have no idea. They may have changed this between our build dates but it's worth a check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
The 08 2955RL has the back flow preventer valve behind the shower control valves. You access it from the pantry access cover and you have to slide the bedroom door closed to access the valve. The valve is lower than the access opening but can still be accessed. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. My first hole was right at floor (bedroom) level. A little low. I was going to continue my cutting this afternoon, but the wife made me go to the pool...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
A flashlight and a mirrow to look around thru the holes in the wall could be good, might even spot the culprit.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dave,

Now you have me feeling sorry for you having to go to the pool and all. Winter is making its last swat at us here in north Georgia. A pool would be a little on the cold side. LOL We're taking a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN at the end of the week for spring break. Its supposed to be in the 70s by then. I'm ready to hit the road.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Went down to Dave's camper and he did find and was repairing the problem.. I was wondering why Keystone would put a access panel with access to nothing?? At least I now know where to cut a hole for a real access panel. The RV industry never ceases to amaze me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282

This the breaker that I took out of the wall. As Rich mentioned and thanks to Ole Dude's directions, I located the breaker about 12 in over and about 12 in down from the "access panel" that goes to nowhere in the pantry.

As you can see, the threads sheared right at their base. The spring is supposed to be inside the mechanism.

I talked to Rick Diesler, Keystone Customer service about another matter and he said he would UPS another vacuum breaker to me immediately. Our unit is almost two years old and out of factory warranty. This is extraordinary service.

My "Montana" graphics on my front nose cap is also peeling and he is sending me one of those also. Just have to find someone to take the old one off and put the new one on...