Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Short Term Storage

When storing the trailer for a few months, is there any truth to the age old tale that the wheels must be on wood rather than on the concrete floor?

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I don't know why. We lived in our 2007 3400RL for 16 months and it was parked in one spot for all that time. We did cover the wheels and tires (we are in South Texas), but the rig's tires were none the worse after 16 months.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've actually heard that too. Seems like anything on concrete has a conflict after a while - wood, batteries, my knees, etc.

I don't know how true it is. I believe it has more to do with chemical reaction than it does with weight or hardness.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
The only thing that could affect tires is long term exposure to uv rays which can cause cracking and dry tires. they say if exposed to hot sun for extended periods to put on tire covers,other then that i don't see any short term problems. I believe the new tires of today have cured any long term problems with storage other than aging. You know, just like all of us, we get a little more wrinkled and cracked every day.!!!!!!
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You can do a search for "parking with tires on wood," without the quotes. You will get a couple of RV forums that address this, right or wrong. I personally park my 3400Rl on wood planks. I have always parked on wood planks for long periods of time. Two weeks or longer is considered a long period of time.

Why? Because I have always heard that it is what is supposed to be done.

Here is a quote from one RV Forum: (I don't know the truth of this)

"Concrete can leach the oils out of tires...that's why putting a vapor barrier between the concrete and your tires is a good idea...it can be wood or plastic (like some cheap place mats). I probably wouldn't worry about it if I were going to park on concrete for a day or two, but for long-term parking, you definitely want to have some kind of vapor barrier between your tires and the surface on which you're parking."

Since I am in a storage facility with the concrete open to all the other trailers, RV's Boats, etc. and with the ever present humidity that drips off of all the vehicles, and the occasional blowing rain, I consider that there will be oil, fluids, etc., that will get washed around on the concrete and come into contact with the tires. Not that we don't get some of this action when we drive, but then it is only momentarily and not puddled up under my tires. Anyhow, that's why I use wooden planks (treated)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I store two classic cars in a garage every winter for the past eight years. They sit on concrete from november to march or april, they are still on the same tires I installed back then. As I said earlier, except for the sun attacking the tires and long term dry rot, the compound of todays tires should last for several years without any special treatment.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
The only reason I park on treated wood is to allow water / moisture to have a place to drain. Just have never like the idea of anything sitting long term in water or soil.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

The only reason I park on treated wood is to allow water / moisture to have a place to drain. Just have never like the idea of anything sitting long term in water or soil.
In Bernie and Tammy's case those wood planks are called skis!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Since I am in a storage facility with the concrete open to all the other trailers, RV's Boats, etc. and with the ever present humidity that drips off of all the vehicles, and the occasional blowing rain, I consider that there will be oil, fluids, etc., that will get washed around on the concrete and come into contact with the tires. Not that we don't get some of this action when we drive, but then it is only momentarily and not puddled up under my tires. Anyhow, that's why I use wooden planks (treated)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I read on another forum that concrete is okay, asphalt is not.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I believe Glenn and LonnieB can be of help here. I have been of the opinion that there is a chemical reaction between the rubber and cement but not between rubber and asphalt. When I park for a long time on cement, I usually run the tires up on some old plastic place mats.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wood Planks / Skis just depends on the surrounding ground. The challange comes in waxing them with the Monty on top
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote