Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Uneven tire wear=axle alignment problem?

I finally decided to stop relying on my eyesight to monitor tire tread wear and bought a tire tread depth gauge. Good thing because it showed a wear problem that I hadn't spotted. On one of my rear tires, the inside tread is significantly more worn than the middle and outside treads--my manual gauge gives readings like "4, 5, 6, 7, 8," etc--the tread on the unused spare reads 8, most of the tires on the rig read 6 or 7, but the inside tread on this rear tire reads only 4, which I assume means that half the tread is worn.

Am I correct in assuming that this uneven wear indicates an axle alignment problem with that axle? As I am still within my one-year warranty, is this something that I raise with the Keystone dealer that I am dropping the rig off with on Thursday, or do I have to go to someone else? If someone else, who do I take it too--the axle manufacturer? As for the worn tire, am I stuck with it or is someone (Keystone? Dexter? Mission?) obligated to replace it since it clearly won't last that much longer?

FYI, I have about 10,000 miles on my 2007 Big Sky, which I bought in April, and still have the OEM Mission tires on it. I was thinking about replacing them sometime in the upcoming year because of all the problems people have been reporting with the Mission tires. Now it looks like there is no question that I'll need to replace them because it looks like the tread is wearing fast.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
Yes, this is uneven wear. When we first purchased our Montana in 2000 I noticed the same thing. I thought it was normal. At that time I didn't have anyone to turn to when I was over 2500 miles from my dealer. I had a broken center bolt in one of the springs which caused the axle to slip back a little. I had the bolt replaced and it seemed to correct the problem. A friend of mine had a spring break on the highway and he had a bugger of a problem fixing it (he replaced the leaf himself, something I can't do). It was at that time that I decided to have MOR/ryde install their Individual Suspension axles on our rig. It has completely done away with that excessive wear AND they are able to be realigned just like the front wheels on my truck. I had the alignment rechecked this Fall because I'm going to put new tires on, but boy that was a shock: 3 hours labor at $200/hr. Won't be getting the alignment checked for at least another four years (that's how long it had been since they were first installed).

I know this doesn't help you, but there are several on the forum who have had axles realigned. bsmeaton comes to mind.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

Here is my thread http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25818

I was at my original Dealer for service. I do not know how much was covered by the Dealer and how much by Keystone, but I do know the Service Manager said it would be taken care of either way and it was.

I got the axle alignment, spare tire put on the LR wheel with balance, and $80 credit for the Mission tire (not available any more)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Take it to the dealer. If he is unable to diagnose the problem, he'll either call Keystone or send you to an axle place. Be prepared for absurd answers like "it's due to the sliding of the tire during turns."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
And don't let them tell you it's because you hit something with it because the problem is in the rear and the front is ok.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Is there any problem putting the spare onto the left rear to replace the worn tire in view of the fact that the spare is new/unused whereas the other tires have 10,000+ miles on them and the tread has worn down from the original "8" depth (as per my measurement with my little manual gauge on the spare) down to 6 or 7 (and in one place down to a 5)?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Swapping tires would be a good idea. You have a perfectly good one down there why not use it? That worn one will make a good spare.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Unless your Big Sky is four-wheel drive, I'm not understanding the concern? Each wheel rolls independantly on it's own axis.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
David, our Big Sky is at the dealers right now with the same problem. I am not sure which tire and axle but one was worn badly on the inside. Dealer called Keystone who advised it is usually an indication of a bent axle. My dealer is installing a new axle and I do not know who is paying for it but the dealer said if keystone does not then they (the dealer) will. They sent me pics and I couldn't see any sign of damage but I suppse that means nothing.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad spring. Replaced them all with heavier duty springs. Most OTR trailer repair places can check to see if it is an axle or spring problem.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's often either a bent axle or overloading. Orv, that price for realigning an axle sounds like a ripoff. A couple of years ago we had ours realigned by Bud's Body Shop in Elkhart, IN, for $75/axle. No more tire problems after that.

I noticed today I have that same inner tire wear on the rear axle on this 3400. Badly worn. I haven't yet checked the other tire but will do so tomorrow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve, I think you misread my post. I didn't have any axles realigned. I purchased MOR/ryde's Individual Suspension axles so that each wheel can be aligned independently. $200 for the alignment, to me, seemed fair when I observed all the work they had to do. Plus, the labor at MOR/ryde isn't cheap. Again, you know me, I always consider you get what you pay for.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
I had the wheels aligned in Port Angeles, Wa. by Evergreen Auto rebuild, they have the only set-up around, for $150. I went in with it fully loaded for a trip. They checked the axels, ETC and said it was fine. All four tires were slightly worn inside at the time. After 3 trips South and at least 1k of summer camping each year, I finally had to replace all of them. Mostly due to that first years wear.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We had the same problem on our 2004 Montana 3295. After our trip out west I noticed the inside of the tires on one side were really worn bad. Took it to a frame and axle place here in Ft Wayne. They realigned all axles. I think it was 150- 200. Then had to buy new tires.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, my mistake. I did misread or misunderstand your post. I probably read too quickly. Sorry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote