Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

I guess with slide toppers it wouldn't do any good to go on the roof, as you wouldn't be able to reach the seals anyway.

If your seals don't come out on the roof, you run the same risk as those without slide toppers, unless the rain is coming straight down. Any water that can collect on that roof has the potential to run under that seal. Affecting factors would include the actual bow or pitch on your slide roof, and how level you are.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I learned from an earlier post of Brad's about using the awning tool to pull the seals out, good idea....just thought it was standard procedure to check them during setup!...you mean some people have seals that work every time???

Sorry for your mishap, Ozz.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie and Alice,

What's with all the seal problems? One of the few areas where we've never had an issue. Interesting. Now you've all got me worried.

Dennis and Mary Kay

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dennis,

I'm with you. I had never ever thought about it until Brad mentioned it in a thread over a year ago. I went outside and looked, and sure enough, not all of the seals were flopped out........Now, Brad's tool, oops, I mean the awning tool is part of our setup procedure.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahhahaha - my other tool
Old 11-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I also have the slide toppers and have not thought to check those seals. I do check the side seals and have found them on every check to not be out when extended. I carry a carpenters yard stick (Just happened to have one) which is narrow enough and light enough to stick in the bottom of the seal and slide it up between the seal and the slide. They flip right out. The wood of the carpenters yard stick does not mar or tear the seals. (so far) As far as I'm concerned, the awning rod is a two handed operation, whereas the yardstick is light and easily maneuvered.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have seen - but have never seen again, some friction strips that come in white that you adhere in a line just beyond the outer edge of the seal on the sides as well as the roof. They are designed to cause the seal to flip as the strip passes.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I have a water leak somewhere in a late 2006 3400RL that seesm to mimic the original problem mentioned in this thread but I don't find any rubber strips on the slides that aren't folded out properly. This is the second time I've experienced this problem. Both times during or after heavy rains. The water seems to come from under the wall cabinet (pantry) between the furnace air intake and the kitchen slide. The water doesn't appear to be coming from the slide side but more toward the center of the RV near the furnace intake. The current guess would be from behind the wall cabinet back toward where the convenience center is. It is still raining here so haven't tried to get up on the roof to see if there is something wrong up there. It just seems too far from the kitchen slide or the bedroom slide to have the slide rubber seals causing the leak. I'm really stuck at the moment as to where the water is coming from. Sure could use some suggestions. Is there some kind of plenum or channel that would cause the water to run forward from the leading edge of the kitchen slide and then enter further forward towards the center of the RV? Vely stlange! Can't be a water pipe leak or tank leak since it only shows up when it rains. Help???
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That sounds like the vacuum breaker leaking, does it run under the steps onto the floor?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #30
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thanks, Not sure what you are referring to relative to "Vacuum Breaker". A new term to me relative to RV's. The water comes out to the left of the stairs from under the pantry wall cabinets onto the linoleum kitchen floor.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #31
nandav
Established Member

M.O.C. #7936
We had a similiar problem to the original post here. We called the dealership & they came out to the campground to check it for us. The tech. suggested that during the heavy rain/winds water followed the hoses from/to the refrigerator, he caulked around all hoses on the outside that are in that area. We have been in another heavy rain/wind since then & so far everything has stayed dry.
nandav is offline   Reply With Quote