Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Slide out has no power

Hello everyone,

Our slide out quit working, which I didn't even notice the last time I used them. Dick told me the living room slide is not all the way in at the bottom. When we go to use the switch there is no power at all. Where should we look for the circuit breaker? I know they added one a couple of years ago up front. Will there be a reset there? I hope we're not dead in the water. Is there a fuse in the panel. We have an early 2003 3295RK.

In advance thank you for any help you can give us.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
OK, know they added a breaker but we can't even find one breaker up in the front locker. Anyone know where they are located?

Patty
Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Patty,
The breaker in the front is an auto reset, but there is also an in-line fuse, I believe. Follow the wire and you'll see it. Good luck!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Hi Chris and thanx for replying. We changed the in line fuse and it did nothing. We checked the panel in the coach, there were no fuses blown in the twelve (?) volt area. We don't see the breakers up front but there is a box that has a button on it and it's not blown and will not do anything. We can't see breakers any where up there. Gosh do we feel stupid.

Patty
Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Patty, Is your batteries fully charged? We had this happen and found if we hooked up to TV with it running we could get the slides in, it turned out the converter was bad…
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Patty, Is your batteries fully charged? We had this happen and found if we hooked up to TV with it running we could get the slides in, it turned out the converter was bad…
William, hi and thank you. We just went out and tried it and that was not the problem. I think that's a thank God as it sounds like an expensive fix.

We still can't find the breakers in the front. Dick informs me the box in the front is the generator prep.

I can see light at the bottom of the slide on the inside of the camper.

Patty
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Patty, hooking up to the tow vehicle and trying to operate the slides is a good idea. We had trouble with our front electric motor that operates the legs to raise or lower the coach. We finally found the "in-line" fuse that that required and changed it. That worked for us. But in the meantime I discovered that there are two fuse panels, one for ac and one for dc current in the 3000RK. Did you check both panels? If worse comes to worse, get back to me and I'll find the 1-800# to Webb's RV in Bangor Maine. They sell a lot of Montanas and their mechanics are very knowledgeable about such stuff. I'll call them and inquire and get back to you with what i find out.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ignorance is curable with knowledge. Knowledge can be obtained. Stupidity is incurable. You ain't stupid. When you find a solution, you won't be ignorant about that problem any more.

I have determined that my knowledge will fill a teacup, but my ignorance will fill a library. It seems like I knew the answer at on time, but now I can't remember. Someone full of wisdom and knowledge will come along and help us both.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Patty, There is a way to manually operate the pump. It should be either a post with a pin through exactly like the one on the spare tire holder off the end of the motor facing the drivers side or their is pump handle socket similar to a bottle jack. On edit - this is for the landing gear. As stated the driver side of the pump motor has an access port. One of those devises are for "MANUAL" operation of the pump. It is not a fast process but will move hydraulic fluid. I suggest closing the valves for the slide you are not trying to move so you are pumping fluid into the open slide only. I can not remember if our 02 Big Sky had a spindle or pump handle. I know this one has a spindle that is accessed from the propane tank area on the drivers side. The auto resetting breakers look like connection posts for two wires. One should come directly from the battery's positive side. They have two studs with nuts on them about an inch apart. There is a polished aluminum box below the wires. That is where the circuit breaker is located. I do not remember if the Hydraulic pump has another fuse or not. I do not think so, I think it is only the landing jacks motor that has the 30 amp blade fuse.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Patty,

On our rig the breakers are mounted on the firewall directly behind the batteries. Mine are black.

If your pump is one made by De Walt or something similar..... then it will have a little place to put a handle.... like John indicated. That should allow you to manually operate the slides.

Do you have power in the slide(s)? 110 and 12 volt?

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Patty,
Keep us posted. Auto reset breaker is below the hydraulic pump, but it usually acts up (stops and starts slides) rather than just quitting altogether. Replacement is less than $5 and available from RV parts stores. Worth a try? If you folks have a volt-ohm meter you could check to see if you have power there? Agree w/levietta re. both panels, especially dc blade fuses. Manual fix is hex wrench on a cordless drill inserted into the back end of the hydraulic pump.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Patty does your pump run or try to run when you push the close button? If not, on the end of the pump electric motor there maybe a round disc in the center about the size of a 50¢ piece. Pull the disc off. There should be a hole in the center. An extension from a 1/4" socket set should fit the hole. Attach the extension to a cordless drill. One direction will open the slide and the other will close it. Hope this helps to get you closed up.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Dennis, John, Chris, Don and Everyone, thank you.

Dick managed to get it going again. He spoke with Darrell from Keystone's customer service and with the information you all supplied us, he was able to reset the breaker which was located near the battery box. The slides are working again! YEAH!

Dick wants me to take a photo and post it here so if anyone has this problem in the future they can find a quick answer to where that elusive little part is. I'll have to get to that in the next few days when he can point it out to me.

We both would like to thank you all for the speedy MOC-ly replies that gave us the quick solution to our problem. Dick says without this information he'd have never found it. This is the greatest forum, club and family on the whole wide net.

Patty
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I love it when a plan comes together. GREAT NEWS. Yes pictures would be great. Thinking out of the box. A lot of these items should be documented and placed on the WEB page for just this reason.
Safe towing.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dick and Patty,

As I recall, that day when you brought your unit to Lippert, we completely replaced your pump. I don't recall what type of breaker is there to protect the pump motor. But, generally, it is a 50 amp 12 volt auto reset breaker. Those will, if they are popped often enough, fail. If Dick did indeed have to reset the breaker manually and now the pump works, it would be interesting to know what size it is. In otherwords, how many amps is it rated for? They are generally marked on the sides, somewhere.

There are several things I would do.

First, make sure ALL connections are snug. Especially chassis grounds. There are 2 of them. At the battery and at the solenoid switch on top of the pump motor. The large lug sticking out the side of the switch where the green and yellow wires are connected to the spades on each side of it is what you are looking for. Use an open end wrench at both ends of that ground wire and loosen it a quarter or half a turn and then snug them back down. But, be carefull. You don't need to use 2 men and a gorilla to tighten them.

Next, if that circuit breaker is a 50 or 60 amp manual reset, I would install a 70 or even an 80 amp 12 volt.

Tightening the connections and making sure the fresh ground connections or, changing the breaker will most likely fix the problem.

While you are right there, don't forget to check the fluid level in the reservoir of the pump. With the rooms in, the fluid level should be up there about 1/2" from from the bottom of that yellow cap.

Any questions, you know where I am.

You all have a good evening!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Patty,

Glad you got it fixed. Was it just a matter of pushing a button? Whatever it was I'm glad you found the problem.

Travel safely.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
There is nothing like the type of information that is shared on this forum. The quality of info found here is priceless.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #18
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Sounds like maybe the auto reset was already replaced w/a manual one (push button)? Nice to see MIMF/Dale stop by to help out us amateurs, again!!! Very nice! Glad the slides are back working, Patty.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #19
Cobrachuck

M.O.C. #29862
Dead slide

Thanks for everyone's post regarding a slide with lost power. we replaced every fuse and breaker. I saw the post about the battery being fully charged. That was the problem. You folks saved my butt with Donna. Chuck
Cobrachuck is offline   Reply With Quote