Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Yellowing of Shower Stall?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the cause might be...

When a bottle of shampoo or conditioner is left in the shower enclosure on the shelf or on the edge of the garden tub, a dark yellow ring forms around the bottom of the bottle. It doesn't wash or wipe away. The only thing that makes it disappear is time(about 2 weeks) and I assume the UV light from the shower skylight helps bleach it out.

Anyone else notice this problem? Is this happening with newer models? Mine is a 2003 garden style tub.

Input appreciated.
Tara

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tara,

Have a early 2004, same thing.

Also have it in the house, where I put little rugs down in front of the doorwall, sunny spot in the house, the floor below is now quite yellow.

Someone told me (don't remember, who???) that there is some "chemical" reaction between the rubber backing stuff on these rugs and the flooring material.

However, that would not explain the situation in our showers.

Hey, we need a chemist??? to explain this to us!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carol,

We had the same yellow marks on our house lino from rugs by the door and we too heard it was a chemical reaction. Time never faded the spots, but we did get the yellow off by rubbing thousands of dollars on it until they turned into new wood floors . We replaced carpet as well and the carpet guy made us some new rugs from the carpet using a backing that would not scratch or yellow the floors.

Tara,

I have not noticed the problem on our 2007 garden tub or stall walls. I wonder if something changed or if it is going to take some more sun time through the skylight and then ours will start doing it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Tara,

We have a 2003 and it does the same thing. I also, have the same effect on the outside of the base of the shower. It extends up 3" or so from the floor. It looks like something underneath the shower pan is causing the discoloration. I have never been underneath to see what supports the shower pan, but whatever it is appears to be causing this.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had the problem, but I scrubed it with brush and awesome, for stubern stains an old terry wash cloth adds enugh rough serface but wont scratch the plastic. it is white now