Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
3400RL LCD TV Mounting & Picture

Our TV seems to flop around more than I would like. At least an inch of front to back movement. Doesn’t seem to be securely mounted. We were told there all like that. Are they? I can’t see it living long that way. Also the picture quality is poor on both satellite and off air (non HD). Seems for what we pay they could put a better TV in there. View Sonic is pretty bottom line for computer monitors but haven’t read any reviews on the TV's. Our old TT had a much better picture on the tube TV. This TV also locks up if you go thru the remote buttons too fast or do not turn it on with the remote. Remote stops working and you have to unplug the TV to turn it off. Anyone else experience that?

And while we are on the subject the surround sound receiver pops loud thru the speakers when you turn it off and when you turn it on it's loud. Loud enough you couldn’t sleep thru it. Even if you turn the volume all the way down it still blasts when you turn it on. Again dealer says its normal.

It's upsetting if all this is normal because it will have to be replaced at my expense. For what they charge I would expect better quality components. Can’t live with either of these problems. Wife thinks I am crazy.

So is all this normal or am I just being too picky?

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Picture quality is reasonable on our Viewsonic but not Sony. It does occassionally lock up, but only with marginal reception from the standard roof antenna. Never locks up on satellite.

As for the sound system, ours works fine, but there are some that have had problems. I believe most of the problems were in the speaker wiring.

That said, I guess I've always looked at it as a camper and knew going in that I would be getting the lower end of quality. There are certainly areas that a guy could sink money into if it was a priority.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Exactly why I ripped our out and put them in the dumpster, see my post under improvements. I went with a Samsung 32" LCD 8000:1 contrast 1080I TV and Bose surround system. I want quality not junk. Of course I knew that going in and tried to order our trailer with no TV or Surround sound. I figure it's just one of those deals.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Thanks. At least I am not crazy. JimF your mod looks very nice. May try a different surround sound reciever because I can live with the way the speakers sound but that TV has to go!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
mtpocket2,
We have many of the same problems you are experiencing. We are looking at a 32" LCD TV like JimF installed, and will at some point replace the low budget sound sound system next year. But like Brad said we were not expecting much when we ordered the rig. Let us know what you do, and please post pictures. Love what JimF did.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
mtpockets2,
I have also had problems with the Viewsonic locking up and the only way I found to fix it was to unplug it. The DVD Player likewise turns on with a default volume setting of like 23!

Picture on the viewsonic has been good. no complaints there.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Keystone has agreed to replace both units. Will post the results.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
As you may have seen in another thread the TV they tried to replace it with is the lowest model made. The new DVD player will not open. Will be writing to Keystone and purchasing my own TV and DVD. Just wanted to add this to this thread as I was doing a search to see what others had replaced theirs with and came upon an old post. This is helpful for newbies and as usual its great to have other MOC people who have suffered the agony of defeat as well as see their successes. Even if it costs me money .
Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
lorraine001

M.O.C. #7538
Our 08 3400RL doesn't have a Viewsonic LCD. It came with Olevia LCD (never heard of it)that works great. We can hook up our IPod and playstation with no problems. The picture quality is great. It may not be like the Sony we have in our house, but it is our camper after all. The surround sound system works great too, just wish there was a user guide instead of trial and error. I wonder if they made a switch with the LCD and DVD player. Our 3400RL was made in September of this year.
lorraine001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
They must have. The Viewsonic Quest combo is junk. Glad to hear you got the new and improved. I have never heard of Olevia either. From what I understand there are really only a few manufacturers who make these for all the brands. The difference is the quality of internals and features. Hopefully you have a good one just branded with Olevia to offset advertising costs.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Viewsonic ?????? I have my 3rd N3251W Viewsonic on the way. The first one , the one that came with my Big Sky, had a defective digital tuner. The second one I now have will not turn off, with the remote, or at the TV, , unless I unplug it. Number 3 is on the way. If it is bad I plan on asking Keystone if I can get an up grade and I'll pay the difference. So far this is the only thing lacking on the Big Sky and I don't want to have an inferior TV defeat the Big Skys' quality. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

Our TV seems to flop around more than I would like. At least an inch of front to back movement. Doesn’t seem to be securely mounted. We were told there all like that. Are they? I can’t see it living long that way. Also the picture quality is poor on both satellite and off air (non HD). Seems for what we pay they could put a better TV in there. View Sonic is pretty bottom line for computer monitors but haven’t read any reviews on the TV's. Our old TT had a much better picture on the tube TV. This TV also locks up if you go thru the remote buttons too fast or do not turn it on with the remote. Remote stops working and you have to unplug the TV to turn it off. Anyone else experience that?

And while we are on the subject the surround sound receiver pops loud thru the speakers when you turn it off and when you turn it on it's loud. Loud enough you couldn’t sleep thru it. Even if you turn the volume all the way down it still blasts when you turn it on. Again dealer says its normal.

It's upsetting if all this is normal because it will have to be replaced at my expense. For what they charge I would expect better quality components. Can’t live with either of these problems. Wife thinks I am crazy.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

Go to your dealer and tell him you want to hear another surround system and see if it pops like yours. I don't think it's normal. Kerry