Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
mk3ga
Established Member

M.O.C. #17869
Shower Drain Venting

Hello, has anyone figured out if there is a way to put a vent pipe on the shower drain? I thought about putting a P-Trap, but not certain how to get to the plumbing on the 2010 Montana Model 2955RL Hickory. Does anyone have a diagram of how the plumbing is routed?
I wonder if I can tie into the bathroom sink vent pipe.
Thanks,

mk3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our bathroom sink and the tub both use the same substitute P trap in the ceiling of the basement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You won't find a plumbing diagram for any of the Montana's. They don't exist. The people that put them together are given somewhat of a diagram but they each do them just a little differently each time. Let us know what you come up with and if you add a P-Trap.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Remove the back wall in the pass-thru compartment (6 screws max) and you will see all the bathroom plumbing. I don't remember if they had moved away from a P trap by 2010. I don't think so.

But I am curious why you want to add another vent pipe to the shower system?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
mk3ga
Established Member

M.O.C. #17869
Thanks for the advice everyone. The reason I am asking these questions is that we keep getting sewer odor when we shower. This is when all the tank valves are closed. I am assuming that as the shower tank fills it is pushing gas up the shower drain. I have not recently looked on the roof, but thought there was no proper venting for the shower. I accidentally remove the rubber sleeve in the shower drain when I was trying to remove hair that was trapped. (I guess it was my fishing mentality getting my coat hanger caught and trying to pull it out.) That sleeve I assume is a method of trying to keep the gas from coming up through the drain. I wanted to use a P-trap in its place to try and provide a better method of keeping the gas from the shower. I may try and remove the garage wall this next weekend and see what it looks like. One thing that is strange is that when we use the bathroom sink we hear water trickling in the shower drain. Is this because they are both using the same vent pipe? I believe the galley sink and bathroom sink are on the same tank. We have three tanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
My older 2955RL has a Shower P Trap directly under the shower in yhe basement and the P trap for the sink under the sink!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:28 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
That rubber flap is the 'better idea' thing for a p trap. They work but are problematic when it comes to hair and such and aren't that hard to replace. You shouldn't be getting any 'sewer' smell from it though while taking a shower. Your shower should be draining into a grey tank, not a black one (although I've seen an occasional post about units that had been built that way). Your bathroom grey tank may not smell all that great, but it shouldn't smell like a sewer. The vent for your black tank is only a few inches from the ceiling vent though, and you could be getting odors down into the bathroom area from it if it's open.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's what you broke: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A2YFG4...I1K80KZJO3JBIH
If it's like mine it's located in the roof of the basement. Easy to replace. To keep hair from clogging it up again we use one of these in the shower and our sinks: https://www.amazon.com/Maxware-Stain...s=drain+screen
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:30 AM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you want a replacement valve for the one you dissected, pm me with an address and I will send you mine. If you want to do a p trap, go to lowes and look in the heavy schedule 40 pipe fittings and you will find all the pieces to adapt to one...trap included. The light duty traps can't be adapted to the monte. John
Old 08-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mk3ga

...I believe the galley sink and bathroom sink are on the same tank. We have three tanks....
The galley sink drains into the galley tank and the bathroom sink drains into the bathroom (aka grey) tank. They are separate systems.

The removal of the HEPVO trap is the cause of your odor issue. Replace it or fit a P trap and that will solve the problem.

P.S. The 2955 (and others) models with a front closet washer/dryer ready feature are known to be odor generators if you don't have a washer/dryer. The water in the supply lines doesn't get circulated and eventually stinks. The solution is to open the water lines and flush them out.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
mk3ga
Established Member

M.O.C. #17869
Thanks for all the good information. I had previously contacted Keystone about the odor in the shower and today got the following response. Doesn't make sense to me.

"Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. At this time I would like to advise you that there is going to be a one-way check valve located either under the bathroom sink, or behind a false panel that you can unscrew behind the shower faucet handles. This one-way valve could be the cause of the foul smell coming from the black tank. This valve allows the gasses to vent up through the roof vent on the unit and occasionally needs to be changed out. This check valve is a black box, this can be purchased from any RV repair/dealer facility. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance to you."