Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
new compressor refrigerator

Just finished installing my new Equator Spotless Steel 12CuFt Top Mount Refrigerator. My Dometic failed so after a lot of searching for the best way to proceed I came upon this Equator at Costco for $700. I also purchased an AIM 1200/2400 Pure Sine Wave inverter with switch. I just finished the install today. The freg run with 1.5 amps as per my KillaWatt meter. The Going-to-the-Sun road is open so we will be heading North soon and will give the new refrigerator some good testing.
Dennis

Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would love to see the going to the sun road this year but I won't get to, enjoy. The Glacier park is beautiful.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
I am lucky, Lynwood, I live in Montana.
Dennis
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
NEXT YEAR we're going to Glacier and maybe Wash./Oregon. This year it's up to Montreal, New Brunswick, and New England. Last year was the middle US trip to SF and the Pacific. Year before was to NM and AZ on the southern trip. Only thing left after next year is going down to the southeast & FL. (Oh, and this is just with the Montana. Neither of us are counting anything we've done beforehand.)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
Wow, Walt, sounds like you know how to have fun. ... just keep it up.
Dennis
Old 06-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You will love Glacier Park and the Going To The Sun Road.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The Red Coach tours make the ride on the Going to the Sun Road--just wonderful. They do the driving and you get all the free sightseeing. We did it a few years ago in the fall--even had to use the blankets provided by the tour company. Have a great trip!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
What were the deciding factors in choosing the equator 12cf for your install? Was it cost, dimensions, weight, all of the above? Just curious. John
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
Hi John .. I had a hole from the Dometic of 24" wide, so dimensions were the absolute must. If I could not find a solution that was less costly than the Dometic, I would have gone with a new Dometic, but did not want to go there. I found several 'apartment' sized refrigerators from $400 to $1200. At that point I started looking at the power requirements. The lower cost units just used too much energy. The highest cost unit was using very very little power, but the cost was just a bit too high for me. I found the Equator at Costco, Walmart and other place at the same price,$700 including delivery. Knowing Costco I can return the unit with no questions what so ever. Not knowing anything about the brand, even after a lot of internet searching I just wanted a bit of insurance, just in case an inferior product. I did find the distributor for Equator in Houston, so I called them and after a bit of time she was able to give me (from engineering) the amp usage of 1.5 amps to run and less than 5 to start. She had no confidence in the start number. (I have verified the amp usage of 1.5amps from my Kill-a-Watt meter where the start was less than 3amps). They all weighed about the same at around 100 lbs, so weight was not a real consideration. For the inverter, I went with the AIMS 12v 1200/2400 pure sine wave with a switch. I really would have liked to have one of the American made units, but I just don't have the money. I use a Bipep (a bit different from the CPEP)at night so it would be nice to have some power at night from the inverter when not plugged in or not using the generator. As it turns out, my 2000 3280RL has an ac outlet next to the bed and it just so happens to be on the same circuit as the refer. With the inverter running the refer is able to run with no problems and when ac is detected the inverter will shut down and do a pass through to the refer circuit. The install of the inverter went very well and easy, I put it high up in the storage area and ran the battery cables, 4awg, through the wall (I have 4 6v wet batteries). At this time, I am very happy with the whole system. I would do it again.
Now for my problem on the install of the refer. When you measure the refer from the top, it is exactly 24", but .... the sides bulge a bit to bring the measurement out to about 24.75". Wow ... that was a problem. To top it off ( I am a retired computer consultant and am no way a Carpenter ... actually I measure three times and cut wrong . Well .... that was not my only problem. As it turns out the 'hole' was not plumb. It measured 24" all the way down but with a square it was out of plumb by about 1/2 inch (how a 24" Dometic fit, I am still scratching my head). Soooo I had to do some wood work. I was able to push the unit into the 'hole' by myself as the refer is not very heavy. The instructions for the refer state "do not build in and do not use with an inverter". I think that is lawyer talk as the paint on the sides is two tone to make it look better when built-in. We think it looks very very nice. I think it is brushed Al on the front. It has a door for the freezer above the one for the cold storage area.
Hope that gives you some insight. Dennis