Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
uptrapper
Established Member

M.O.C. #17903
Digital thermostat

I have a HC 340BH and absolutely hate the digital thermostats for the AC and heat. Has anyone replaced the digital ones with the good old analog ones with the switches for heat/cool, fan high/low, on/off, and temp? Tired of pressing buttons and watching for lights and waiting for something to happen or not. Should be the same wires for the same functions right easy install.

Mike

uptrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You probably have the Dometic CCC control. Yeah, it takes a bit of time to get a good handle on all it's functions, but it is really a good unit, in my opinion. To change it out to an analog unit would be difficult. We have two A/C's and the heater run by ours, and the two A/C units are connected by, what looks like a telephone extension cord, that goes to the two A/C's, connected to digital control boxes under each unit. The heater is connected to the main A/C at the digital box, and then to the thermostat via the 'phone' cord. What we don't use with our thermostat, is the clock and the setback feature. That was the stumbling block for us, and just was more of a hassle than we needed. Once we did that, it works great for us. Take a little time to get used to it, and I think you will ultimately be happy with it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
uptrapper
Established Member

M.O.C. #17903
We have different thermostats. Mine has no added functionality beyond the analog type except that it has a digital temp display that displays the set temp and if you turn it off and press the + or - button it will display the room temperature. No clock or set back. Its function took just a couple minutes to get used to but to turn it on you have to press a button a couple times waiting for a green light to appear in the cool or heat mode then press the temp up or down button several times to get to the temp you want. To top it all off you have to wait a few seconds between changes to make sure something happens. The temperature never seems to be stable at all I'm always having to adjust it up or down to feel comfortable. The analog one in my old travel trailer i just kept on 65. At night i turn the switch to heat in the morning i switch to cool, for most of the summer i just switched it to cool and turned it off when we left the campground. I can not understand why anyone would want to go through all that extra effort every time the want to change the temp or plug in the trailer to power.

Maybe the ones that came in mine are just not very good quality and i need to buy better thermostats like you have, but at this point the old analog one is sounding good. Does the operation of mine and yours sound similar or are yours easier to use?
uptrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Mike, pull the thermostat off the wall to see what connections are behind it. If it has the rj11 cable going into the thermostat this means it uses the CAN buss and you can't replace it with an analog unit. To do so would mean installing the necessary wires, finding some company that has interface electronics to work with the canbuss. I would not reccomend going down that road. What I would do is call keystone, give them the vin number, and ask if you can use a different digital thermostat than what is in the unit. Good luck. John
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by uptrapper

...The temperature never seems to be stable at all I'm always having to adjust it up or down to feel comfortable....

I had the same problem with mine in my HC 305RL. It seemed erratic at times, but other times worked OK. I discovered the problem with mine, and it had nothing to do with the thermostat itself - rather, it was just poor engineering or installation by Keystone.

When they were installing my thermostat, they knocked a half-dollar sized hole in the wall for the wire, then the thermostat was mounted over the hole. The wall is hollow. In the basement the fan exhaust for the converter is pointed directly into the void in the wall below the thermostat. So, when the converter fan turns on, the exhausted heat blows up into the hollow wall and then to the back of the thermostat, heating it and affecting the temperature it senses.

I stuffed insulation into the hole behind the thermostat and into the wall behind the converter. I also sealed the hole behind the thermostat with duct tape. Since then my thermostat acts normal and operates as it should.

I don't know where the converter is on your 340, but you may want to check for this possible interaction. It won't help with the ease of operation, but it may make it work properly once it has been set.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My thermostats in my 2016375fl do not read room temperature correctly is there a calibration function for calibrating the ambient temperature reading. I agree with the digital being crap. Most thermostats show set point and ambient simultaneously. Our current designers think we need to look only at set point or tell us to shut it off and hit a button to see the ambient temp. Of course this causes unnecessary compressor and fan cycling to get it back to running. Newer is not always better.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
After seeing how my two digital thermostats did not work correctly in my brand new High Country 375FL I went to the hardware store bought some insulating foam and some electrical outlet insulation. I filled the hollow wall wire hole with the foam and remounted the thermostat using a double piece of outlet insulation to insure the sensor in the outlet was isolated from the wall and wall air. It does now work much better and both units cycle properly which they did not before. Unfortunately the actual temperature readout on both of them is off about 4 degrees with no calibration I can find. The actual temperature on both is off high so the units actually try to cool the room way too low.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote