Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Allison failure update

Truck is back from dealer and working normally. Transmission control module failure was covered under warranty, but dealer said an extremely rare failure and they could not guess as to what caused failure. So, just to be safe, I'll wash my truck by hand from now on!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great! These new auto transmissions just don't give any internal trouble. I met a guy one time who was trying to get has Dodge truck back home to have his transmission changed for the forth time with less than 100,000 miles on his truck. This just doesn't happen now.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It is pretty rare for an Allison to fail that is one of the reasons I went with the Duramax/Allison combo it is hard to beat ,I was a hard core Ford guy but dang that was the best thing GM ever did was to pair up with Allison
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Great! These new auto transmissions just don't give any internal trouble. I met a guy one time who was trying to get has Dodge truck back home to have his transmission changed for the forth time with less than 100,000 miles on his truck. This just doesn't happen now.
Lynwood
Hmmm, interesting. I guess that happens in all of them. My 2007.5 Ram is a couple hundred miles short of 102,000 miles and nothing has ever been done to the 68RFE transmission other than changing both filters and the fluid at 66,000. The whole truck has been that way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I,m sorry Steve that was 12 or more years ago. A lot has changed since then.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lynwood, no need to be sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you were bashing current Rams. I just wanted to make sure nobody who read that interpreted it as relating to the current models.

I know the automatics in the Ram diesels built prior to 1/1/07, those with the 48RFE or 48RE, not sure the correct model number, sometimes self-destructed because they were not strong enough for the amount of torque the diesel put out.

But the 68RFE six-speed automatic that came out with the 6.7L Cummins, starting 1/1/07, has been bulletproof. I've driven other brands and put the Ram automatic on a par with the others and in some cases possibly better, others cases worse.

One thing I see a lot of in some of these threads is someone touting a particular brand and pointing out that that brand is also used in the big rigs. Well, those transmissions in our 1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks are NOT used in the big rigs. Can't compare them to the big rigs at all. We can only base our opinions on tests and personal experience of those that we actually use. Having driven all three majors' automatics and having towed substantial miles with two of them, I have to believe all three are good, solid transmissions. There will be isolated failures in all of them, but, by and large, they're solid. All of them.

Sorry, Lynwood, if I came across as blasting you. Just wanted to clarify the issue.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote