Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Someone you see regularly and may even know you as a neighbor or friend has observed your pattern of parking and lifestyle and has past this information on or even participated in the deed. The tail lights being taken indicates they came with tools not just cutters and with (short but adequate) time along with probably knowing your schedule and that no security system would be activated. We have the same tailgate and taillights. Even with ample insurance it is still a loss, seems like our deductable is $500 plus the time and trouble. I wonder how one could forewarn tailgate/taillight theives that protective measures have been taken to hopefully keep them a bay. thanks for passing this along.

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not only does mine lock, I installed an aftermarket solenoid that operates off the key fob or unlock pad on the door. It consists of a solenoid that screws into the existing tailgate holes and the solenoid operates a bar that extends/retracts the path of the tailgate release. Now I think I finally found the reason that my tailgate got keyed one day. I thought it might have been some mischievous neighbor kids, but maybe it was frustration since they couldn't get my tail gate open.

This does not protect me from the over-the-air-signal-stealers when using a remote, or some thief (with binocs) noticing the keypad pattern on the driver's door when I use that method.

As usual, it always amazes me that thieves prefer to work a job that steals from others who've tried to earn things the right way. And now with the internet and media outlets if you are a negative-type person, they will teach you how to do all this crap as they REPORT the news happenings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Installed the tail light keepers this evening. Tomorrow the tail gate. Also cannot get the F250 in the garage--it is outside but my Nissan Max is behind it! Always make things look difficult for the "smart" thief. Best protection is the Glock across the street--and he knows how to use it--a San Antonio Policeman--GREAT NEIGHBOR if you can find one. Since he moved in, all the little stuff that happens at night has STOPPED! Gee Wiz--I guess the good news does spread.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Get your own Glock ! That word travels quickly as well.... About 1230 fps on a model 17

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

Installed the tail light keepers this evening. Tomorrow the tail gate. Also cannot get the F250 in the garage--it is outside but my Nissan Max is behind it! Always make things look difficult for the "smart" thief. Best protection is the Glock across the street--and he knows how to use it--a San Antonio Policeman--GREAT NEIGHBOR if you can find one. Since he moved in, all the little stuff that happens at night has STOPPED! Gee Wiz--I guess the good news does spread.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ouch! I was sorry to read about the theft. Tailgate stealing has become a recreational activity in south Texas. My brother had his new Ford F-350 parked in the very busy parking lot of a large shopping center (lots of people coming and going all the time) in Houston not long ago. He said he wasn't gone from the truck more than 15 minutes, and when he returned to it, the tailgate was gone. Someone surely had to see the thieves take it, but no one reported the criminal activity.

Well, it will take more than a common thief to steal a tailgate from you again. Hope you can protect the lights, too, from the thieves.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Well, I finished with the Gate Keeper. The instructions said the bolt attaching the pivot point to the truck might be tight. Might be tight! My word--IT WAS REALLY TIGHT! But I worked it loose, cleaned off the Locktite, reapplied fresh Locktite and installed my Gate Keeper. I even showed it to my neighbor--the POLICEMAN! He thought it was neat--he has a new pickup also! Also showed him the Light Keepers. Ready to hit the road!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Got the Gatekeeper, now the challenge is getting the bolt out so I can install. Banged on it for about 20 minutes this afternoon and it did not budge, but got a bigger breaker bar and had the right leverage and then it was only about a 15 minute job.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Google "tail gate protection gate keeper" and you should find several internet sites. I used Truck n Vans in Southern California http://www.trucknvans.com/ and had them a few days later.
Thanks Butch for all the great info. including the link. I'm ordering mine today!
Give Susan a hug for us,hope to see you guys sometime this year.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My Ford dealer showed me the trick to getting the bolt out of (and back in to) the body. The bolt goes into a "cage nut" and Ford uses Locktite to keep it there. I basically ruined the T50 bolt head getting it out and had to ask the dealer the secret. He gave me a new bolt and the following information. The trick is to remove the right tail light, and heat the cage nut with a propane torch for a few seconds. This expands the nut and allows the T50 bolt to turn easily. As it cools the bolt becomes tight again. Simply hit it with the torch again to loosen it up once again.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #30
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
The gate keeper is only for Dodge 2009 and under. Called mfg. hopeful to have newer Dodge years available soon.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote