Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Roof bubble

I was up top putting my cover on and noticed this bubble in the roof material along the side edge.

http://youtu.be/QHOi1VIZPbI

Is this something to worry about?

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Not sure if problem or not. But I have the same thing on mine (maybe not quite so big). I took pictures and sent them to Keystone near the end of the trailer warranty so there would be proof if things got worse.
But things have stayed the same so far - now almost 6 years.
Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Not sure if problem or not. But I have the same thing on mine (maybe not quite so big). I took pictures and sent them to Keystone near the end of the trailer warranty so there would be proof if things got worse.
But things have stayed the same so far - now almost 6 years.
Good luck.
I sent the link to Keystone's service/parts/support via their website contact form.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Mine is the same way...

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Your video taking too long for me to download. However, Small roof bubbles generally are not of concern, unless they get bigger.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I have bubbles all over the roof and they don't really concern me. The part about this particular spot is that it is at the edge where the fiberglass side wraps under it. I'm able to push the fiberglass skin down in the bubble about 1/2 inch or so. I guess I'm wondering also if the fiberglass should be stuck to the roof under the rubber roof. The bubble runs about the length of my hand long, and about 2 or 3 fingers wide.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Looks fairly common to me. I'd keep an eye on it incase it starts to grow. I have a couple slightly smaller ones but they have not grown since nearly new.

Okay, just read your last post. I would get that fixed.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

Looks fairly common to me. I'd keep an eye on it incase it starts to grow. I have a couple slightly smaller ones but they have not grown since nearly new.

Okay, just read your last post. I would get that fixed.
In the video the part I am pressing on is the fiberglass under the roof material.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Yea, that might have a sharp edge that could wear a hole in the rubber. Should be looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
bighornram, I don't think that is fiberglass under the rubber. Unless Keystone has changed, that is radiused aluminum that goes up around the corner from the gelcoat to the roof decking. Then, the rubber is glued over it.

Our old Challenger has had roof bubbles ever since it was new 7 years ago. They generally run cross wise from side-to-side about every 4 feet where the 4X8' sheets butt together. In all these years, they have never changed or gotten any bigger. The first couple years, I was concerned about it but, have gained experience in the RV industry enough to know that it generally is not a problem.

What is a problem is when the glue is not applied to the decking in the correct amount before the rubber is layed on it and rolled. There is also the possiblity of too much glue being applied in which case, it does not set-up properly.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
This is what the owner's guide has to say about the rubber roof:

Roof
In most cases, the roof assembly consists of the interior paneling, a truss system, insulation, roof decking (plywood, OSB) and a rubber roof which is glued to the roof decking. Because of the manufacturing process, air pockets and/or visible spots may be seen in the rubber roof. These visible spots can be caused by debris (wood, staples, screws, etc.) that are between the rubber roof and decking or by imperfections occurring during the rubber roof manufacturer. In most cases, these are considered cosmetic in nature and seldom require any corrective action.
Rubber Roof
The rubber roof is a polymer membrane that will not rust or corrode and is very strong and durable. Other than periodic washing, the rubber roof material itself does not require maintenance or coatings. However, be advised that any attachment, seams or joints in the rubber roof requires maintenance often!
The roof material can, however, be punctured, snagged or cut by contact from other objects. Know the height of your unit and avoid contact with overpasses, trees, etc. If the rubber roof is damaged, it is designed to be patched. “Rubber roof
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I think the radius aluminum mentioned by MIMF2 is held in place with screws. If the aluminum is flexing, it is due to not enough screws or a screw has come loose. The rubber roof is not glued to the aluminum or it was not on mine when the roof was replaced. I would watch for the head of a screw protruding up from under the roof.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
tsenior
Established Member

M.O.C. #12378
There is a difference between bubbles and lifting decking. I have 2 sections of decking that have lifted from the trusses. It looks like a bubble until you push down on it like you do on the video. Yours appears to be the same as mine...a decking problem. I noticed mine the first day that I took possession. I took it back to the dealership, Keystone authorized a replacement roof. I'm still waiting for the repair...it's been over a month.
tsenior is offline   Reply With Quote