Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
HOT WATER HEATER PROBLEMS

Hot water tank has been leaking for awhile,dealer removed heater and this is what they found.Tank is leaking where it is welded,it has pin holes that sprays out when under pressure.I think tank has been leaking from day one and has gotten worse with time.We noticed at the end of camping season that the floor was squeaking, and the carpet around the island seemed to be moist,after removing panel we could see that it was comming from somewhere around tank,I checked all fitting and were all tight,we then assumed it was the hot water heater leaking.The dealer told us they will replace the bad flooring, not the whole floor, just piece in where needed.I called Keystone and they told me the flooring is a one piece floor.I dont like the plan of piece in where needed.The linoleum gets replaced and alot of trim, the dealer said the carpet would be fine and they would clean and shampoo.Then there is the problem of mold and mildew,which really worries me for health reasons.This appears to me to be a big job for a dealer to tackle,I would think it would be better to take unit to factory where they are better equiped to handle such a job.I will keep everyone posted on progress.Take a good look at your hot water heater,to check for leaks.

bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
it is amazing that tank is from a 2008 5th wheel!!! it looks 10 years old. What the heck are they making them out of??
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I think you are correct that the heater has leaked from day one, it looks like it is several years old. It would be very difficult to replace all the wood flooring. The flooring is installed on the frame, then the exterior walls are placed on top of it. If it was mine, I would be comfortable having the floor repaired. The only concern I would have is that the flooring be one piece under the vinyl so a joint would not show through the vinyl flooring. Good luck with the repairs and I hope it all works out for you.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Brad and Jenni,

I'm with Racerjoe on this one. Man that thing does look 10 years old! Must still be under warranty.

I would think that the dealer should be able to handle it if they are a big enough outfit. Most likely on the floor they will bring in a "floor" expert. When I had my hardwood kitchen floor replaced that's what they did. And even though it is a "one piece" subfloor I'm sure they can/will fix it so you'll never know the difference.

But if you're not too far from the factory or if you'll be going by the factory it might be worth it. Mostly because the factory folks will fix or bring up to date any and all aspects of your rig. That is a nice extra. Something you won't get from the local dealer.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
Up date on water heater damage to flooring, dealer started replacing bad flooring said it will be a couple of weeks until done.Hope to get monty back before spring and not have any more problems.Please check your water heaters for any leaks dont want anyone to have to go through what we are doing.Will give another update when available.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I like that new front cap stabilizer, but it looks one-sided.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
LATE UPDATE, WE HAVE BS AT HOME AND ALL REPAIRS ARE DONE,THE DEALER HAS GIVEN US A ONE YEAR WARRANTY ON THE FLOORING WORK IN WRITING,THAT IS MORE THAN KEYSTONE OFFERED WHICH WAS ZERO,FACTORY WARRANTY EXPIRED IN MARCH.WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS THIS SUMMER IF MORE PROBLEMS ARISE THERE WILL BE A SOB IN THE FUTURE.WE LIKE OUR BS BUT THE LIST OF REPAIRS SEEMS RATHER HIGH,THIS IS OUR SECOND KEYSTONE PRODUCT AND MIGHT BE ARE LAST.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Too bad Montana don't use Marine Plywood for their floors!

My other SOB's had this.
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote