Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Propane Smell

We took the Monty out for a few days than one night I started to smell propane,but no alarms were set off.I open all windows and turned on all fans than went out to check the tanks. I check the fittings and no leaks than realized I had the main tank on the drivers side turned off and the passenger side tank turned on. I turn the main tank back on and the smell has seem to disappeared. Would this have caused the propane smell? The smell was mostly in the bedroom.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
When I disconnect the tanks and then reconnect them, I use a soap solution on the fittings to check for leaks. I take a small paint brush and place enough of the liquid on the area to test it and if there are leaks then it should show some bubbles indicating where the leak is. I use a dishwashing liquid mixed with water for my testing.

I would try and check some of the fittings and joints for leaks if it were me.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I,ve check all fittings with soapy water and no leaks.
Jack
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Not to dispute that you have checked all of the joints but something must be leaking somewhere. Is there anything that you may have missed such as around the regulator, part of the pipe going across from the other side, the tank valve itself, etc...?

Another possibility, are you caring a smaller propane bottle in the basement? Could something like that have or had a small leak on it causing the propane smell?

Hope you find the gremlin and get rid of him!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You might also consider having you propane detector checked. I don't know at what concentration a human can smell it vs what concentration the detector would alarm it. But since propane is heavier than air, it should settle near the floor (and therefore near the detector) in a higher concentration than where you would normally smell it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
Check the regulator on the passenger side. Recently mine failed and propane leaked out the weep hole on the top of of the regulator.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
With a soapy solution (I have a commercial bottle that I use), brush it on all fittings from the bottles to the regulator. Then, brush it all over the regulator. We had a leak two years ago that we couldn't find. Finally, when I brushed the soapy solution on the regulator we found that there was just a tiny leak around the lever that switches from one tank to the other. A new regulator solved the problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll spend the day checking every fitting.
Jack
Old 08-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I had a small leak also that was hard to find. Mine was on the cross over line from the street tank to the curb tank. There is a threaded fitting right where the pipe passes from the front compartment into the curb side propane compartment. Hard to find let alone get any solution on to check, but that is where mine is. The support bracket installed by the factory did not do a good job of lining up with the hole through the bulkhead which added to the problem.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rwellesley

Check the regulator on the passenger side. Recently mine failed and propane leaked out the weep hole on the top of of the regulator.
We had the same experience except it was the driver side regulator that failed at the weep hole on the side of the regulator.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I had an issue, similar to this just this past weekend. Earlier this year, I had to replace the red regulator and all the hoses as they had shut down to prevent the leak in the red regulator. had no issues on the first 3 camping trips of the spring/summer.
This weekend, I had the smell, not throughout the camper, but could smell a little bit of it while sitting outside under the awning. And had low flow symptoms, which would clear at about 10 am each morning. Checked everything for leaks, start to finish, could not find anything. And I had just ahd the tanks filled a week ago.
On a whim, I took one of the bottles off and connected it to my new Camp Chef stove and barbecue box. Symptoms repeated. Closer inspection showed that the bleed valve on the side of the tank OPD fitting, was not fully tightened, about 2 turns loose. It was causing a slow bleed of propane, and was freezing up with the higher humidity in the morning. Also, when hooked up to the camper and running the stove, the OPD valve sensed a higher than normal flow and would shut off, or would freeze up.
Tightened the bleed screw, no more smell and no repeat of the problem.
I just hate chasing these small ankle biting problems
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Let us know when you get it fixed. Curious as to what is causing the leak.