Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
kalberro
Established Member

M.O.C. #8177
Rear Bumper on Mountaineer

I recently purchased a 2008 Montana Mountaineer 324 RLQ and would like to install a shelf on the back. I saw on a recent post where a gentlemen mounted two Curt hitches to the rear bumper (slide up from the botton of the bumper), then used (2) 6" stingers upside down with an angle iron frame welded to both so an allumium shelve can be attached to that. I love the idea and have bought all the parts, but when I brought my trailer in for some warranty work, they told me the bumper metal itself is to thin. I would only be putting no more than 200 lbs total (hardware + Honda 3000w). I also had planned on beefing up where the bumper attaches to the frame.

Do anyone have any suggestions or have done this themselves?

kalberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Our son (mechanical engineer) designed a ramp that he put on our back bumper for DH's
Kawasaki scooter. He beefed up the way the bumper attaches to the frame. It works great.
It's not a shelf, but could have been but we HAVE to have the scooter with us. The scooter
weighs a bit more than 200 lbs. but I don't know how much more. DH won't reveal that info! We have
the 2006 Mountaineer with the pull out bumper.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kalberro

I recently purchased a 2008 Montana Mountaineer 324 RLQ and would like to install a shelf on the back. I saw on a recent post where a gentlemen mounted two Curt hitches to the rear bumper (slide up from the botton of the bumper), then used (2) 6" stingers upside down with an angle iron frame welded to both so an allumium shelve can be attached to that. I love the idea and have bought all the parts, but when I brought my trailer in for some warranty work, they told me the bumper metal itself is to thin. I would only be putting no more than 200 lbs total (hardware + Honda 3000w). I also had planned on beefing up where the bumper attaches to the frame.

Do anyone have any suggestions or have done this themselves?
Does the 08 have the slide out bicycle rack on the rear?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
kalberro
Established Member

M.O.C. #8177
Unfortunately it doesn't I believe Keystone stopped offering them starting with the 2008 model. Other than replacing the bumper with a heavier one, I suppose I could get one those hitches that can expand to the width of my frame.
kalberro is offline   Reply With Quote