Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..No they are panels of various size.. The one I have down is @ 6X5 feet.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hi, Rich! I have been off the forum for a few days... Just got to this.

Remember, we are DOWNHILL from you guys...

We should be back to the CG by Sun nite (24th). Good luck with the tank problems.

Snow, wind and cold are something I got used to being AWAY from. Car problems abound in this weather - another 8 inches of snow tonight with gusts to 35 mph. Almost would rather be working on a black tank in 70 degree weather than working on my car in -20 and -25 wind chill - which I have had to do a couple times now (seems nothing you buy for your vehicle in FL works here in MI in the winter).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..you guys got out of here just in time..we are having a cold spell..May not hit 70 today..don't forget to bundle up....
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Spoke to Travel star today ..the vendors for the Montana holding tank regarding the leak and why it leaked.. First the tank is not designed to be a free "standing tank" they recommend they have support at the bottom to relieve stress..The crack ws as we suspected..stress related..another "cost effective measure" by Keystone..To fix the leak take the black ABS plumbers glue.. submerge the appropriate amount in cold water till it thickens into a ball..then apply ,Before applying clean the affected spot with acetone and rough with sand paper. This fixs as suggested by the vendor and how they repair them at the factory...Soooo I will do that..
Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #45
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I guess I need to take the belly off of mine and see how the tanks are put up in there.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My SOB camper had supports under the tanks..the Montana does not. I guess if you used the camper as a Rv you may never have a problem..but if you run it all over the country 10 or 12 K miles a year...the stress may tell... When i have it replaced we will have additional supports under it..
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #47
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Good info on the tanks. If I remember they are supported between two rails that go between the frame rails. There is NO support under the tanks. Just the plastic and foil belly covering. What holds them in is the lip around the tank. Not a good design at all. Also the belly of the tank will dip below the outlet so there will always be water in them. If you talk to Keystone on this,it will be interesting what they have to say about this. Keep us informed. I have said this before is WHEN FLUSHING THE BLACK TANK YOU NEVER LEAVE THE WATER RUNNING AND LEAVE THE AREA. YOU MUST STAY THERE AND PAY ATTENTION. Good luck Rich.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #48
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Because of the poor support, (I saw that when I had my belly cover down) It is best to travel with the tanks empty. I know most of us do so anyway.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #49
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We saw the problem last fall when we did a plant tour of a SOB RV. They use metal straps (2 per tank, I believe) to support all the water/liquid holding tanks on their units.

Immmediately, Al and I looked at each other and knew, after reading the forum for so long, just what the problem was. We have discussed this several times since with sales reps and people high up at Keystone. One acted as if this was a eye opening piece of information.

For quite some time we have been reluctant to travel with liquids, fresh water or other wise. Long ago, on this forum, FlaNative had trouble, and found that the tank was unsupported, she fixed herself, and supported the tank with wood. Then the Denners had their fresh water tank fall out in Alaska. There are a number of other examples. Being basically lazy and not wanting to deal with such messes, Al and I have been very careful about not filling the tanks and not traveling with much in them.

These are our opinions and our actions, just reporting how we do it. Not attempting to offend, JOHO.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 AM   #50
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Thanks for all the information on this topic, I would be interested in knowing how you finally reslove this, how you brace and support the tanks. We are coming out of our wintering location in about another month and I would like to do this fix before this years travels.

Sorry about all your problems with this Rich, but I am learning from your trials. My last unit (a SOB) did have metal support bands, I did wonder about the tank mount when we made the factory tour and just assumed that Keystone knew what they were doing, so much for that thought.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is what the forum is all about... We learn from one another and hopfully the experience will save another from problems or at least know what to do when there is a problem.. My simple solution is to ask the vendor of the tanks what they recommend for support then do that when I have it replaced. We never travel with more tha a couple of gallons of fluid in the tanks. Even with the fresh water tank maybe 10 gallons.Of course we pay close attention to flushing with the valve closed.....except this one time....
Old 02-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #52
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Black tank full today all the way up to the bottom of the toilet, no leaks. Too much beer drinking.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Black tank leak fixed. Used the method recommended by the vendor described a few post above.Just for good measure put a strip of etern a bond over it. Now this was not a gaping hole but a hairline crack right at the top. Will have this tank replaced when we are at the Goshen rally in Sept. The tank vendor is right there just south of Keystone Drive. While under there cleaned up some sloppy wireing put some insulation on the wires running through frame holes and fixed my black and grey tank guages by adding 3.3 cents worth of lock washers. I am so excited that my guages work. Everytime I go up the steps I push the switch just to see them lite up..also ran my Rv cam cable into the underbelly. I will drop the belly near the galley tank and insert anothet 1.65 cents worth of lock washers to get those tanks working. The hardest part of this whole mess is putting the underbelly back on. It just never ends..