Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
dig dog

M.O.C. #8187
hydrolic blead off

I have another problem. I have a 2000 Montana 3670 with 3 slides. While pulling or even setting still the bedroom slide will slide out on its own. I figure it must have a check vavle or something to keep the back pressure on the system that is allowing the pressure to blead off. Can anybody give me any advice on this problem?

dig dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I had you problem, I would be getting in contact with Lippert which I believe makes the pump. Hang in there. There is an MOCer named Dale that once worked for them an knows much about slides and pumps, etc. He has answered many questions on this forum.

His MOC name is MIMF2. you might click on his name in the membership list, then click on the listing of his posts to see how he has addressed other similar questions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Sounds like air in the system. Is the fluid reservoir on the hydraulic pump full?
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
dig dog,

Since your unit is a 2000 Montana, the hydraulic pump is most likely a Dewald. I don't know or remember alot about those pumps but, were not part of the Lippert systems currently used.

The first thing I would look at is the fluid level in the reservoir. I do know that those reservoirs are black steel tanks and you can not see the fluid level in them. Somehow, you will need to determine how much fluid is in that tank. If it was me, I'd grab a flashlight and a mirror. Put the mirror over the fill hole at a 45 degree angle and shine the flashlight into the mirror and yuo should be able to see inside the tank.

With the rooms closed, I'd add automatic transmission fluid to the tank. It is possible, the fluid level is low enough that when the rooms are extended, the fluid level drops enough that the pump sucks air and looses prime. With air in the system, that could be why the room creeps back out. The same thing will occure with the new systems. Air is an enemy of a hydraulic system. It is the nature of the beast.

Get a quart of Dexron/DexronIII ATF. Go to Wally-World and get the cheapest crap you can find! It won't hurt a thing and at this point, you don't want to put a lot of money in this thing if you don't have to. Because, your pump may need to be replaced or repaired because of a bad check valve and that won't be cheap! So, to start with, let's make sure there is enough fluid in the system before you start spending money.

Report back after you do this to see if the problem is resolved. I'll be following this thread.

Dale
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote