Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
slide adjustments

When I last brought the slides in I noticed it was pushing down on the rug enough to cause a bubble in the rug,is there a adjustment I can make to take some of the weight off the bottom of the slide or is this a dealer job.I'm in N.Y. and my monty (3495)in in S.C. till I pick it up in DEC to head to FL.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You can wait and hope that MIMF(Dale Brubaker) sees this or go to the members section, find MIMF, click on this to go to his profile and send him an email. Dale used to work for Lippert and is very knowledgeable.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Have not adjusted my slide, but there is a book that came with my Montana called "Lippert Components Hydraulic Slide and Hydraulic Landing Gear (HLG) System Operation and Service Manual" This manual explains how to adjust the slide. The Keystone Manual only identifies that Slide adjustments are the responsibility of the owner, does not provide how to adjust or where to find the information.

Keystone if you are reading, please add where to find the information in your manual!

Edit, its a small 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch 32 page manual
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Interesting reading, The manual I referenced above (HLG) states on page 12 " NOTE All slideout room adjustments must be performed by certified service technicians. Adjustments made by non-certified persons may void any and all warranty claims." So it looks like if the unit is still under warranty, you need to take it in and have the adjustments done at your cost.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
garyka,

I am assuming that this is occurring on one of your main floor slide rooms. If so, it is an easy fix provided you have a set of combination wrenches.

The first thing I would do is extend the room to about mid way open or just slightly past that point. Go under the room and with your wrenches, make sure everything is tight. Especially on the adjustment plates that are located at the ends of the inner tubes just behind the skirting. What I am referring to is that the plates that have the head of that long bolt that points straight to the ground. You will notice that each adjustment head has two carriage bolts going thru the slots on those 2 flat plates, one located near each end of the room. These heads are where you are going to avert your attention, even if everything is tight.

The next thing I would do for grins and giggles, would be to go back inside the coach and use a tape to measure the gap between the bottom of the slide room floor and the floor or the carpet of the main room. Just note it, we are going to see if you can increase the size of that gap by about a half inch.

Go back under the slide room and at one of the adjustment heads, loosen the nuts on both carriage bolts that hold the 2 flat plates together. Next, loosen the jam nut on the long bolt that points to the ground. Don't worry, nothing is going to happen as long as you have the coach setting fairly level from front to rear before you start all of this. The next thing to do is to rotate the head of that long bolt counter clock-wise 3 to 5 complete revolutions. As you do this, you may notice that the outside edge of the room is lowering. That is a good thing. Now go to the adjustment head at the other end of the room and do the exact same thing and rotate that bolt the exact same number of revolutions in the counter clock-wse direction. While you are down there, if you have your tape measure handy, pick a point and measure the distance between the head of the bolt and the plate that the bolt threads thru. Both of them should be in the exact same position or distance. In other words, if you measure the gap between the head of the bolt and the bottom of the "L" shaped portion of the plate and get a measurement of say, 2", you should have the same measurement at the other adjustment head. That means the room is still fairly level from end to end in relation to the main floor of the coach. At this point, the "L" shape of the plate should still be setting on the tip of the bolt.

Remember the gap you measured earlier between the floor of the slide room and the carpet. Now would be a good time to go in and check it again. You should see that it is about 1/2" more than it was before. If it is, you are now ready to go back out under the room and tighten all 4 of the carriage bolts, FIRST. Then snug down the jam nuts for the long verticle bolts.

Now, go back inside and fully extend the room and seal it. Next, retract the room all of the way in and observe it closely. You should see an improvement in that it is not rubbing the carpet.

When you get this done, please let us know how it turns out.

Take care.

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
MIMF2,
Thanks for the process. I need to adjust my kitchen slide.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Dale,
It sure is nice having you on the forum
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
No problem, Charlie. I'm usually in here several times a week snooping around. If there are issues someone is having with something, especially with slide systems, I'll usually throw my two cents in.

The thing I worry about the most is whether or not everyone understands what I am writting. I want it as simple as possible so they can take it step by step the way I lay it out.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You once spent @1/2 hour at a fall rally under my slides explaining that to me and your post, which I did a hard copy of, makes perfect sense to me....and it works.... thank for the written procedure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I might comment that, for me, adjusting the slides was a daunting task I was unwilling to tackle. I knew I'd mess things up. But, thanks to MIMF's tutelage at one of the rallies, I found it's really not a big deal. Just follow his instructions, count turns of flats of the bolts, and take measurements and all will work out fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote