Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Noisy water pipes 3400rl

Does anyone know how to stop the water pipes from banging in the walls, I have gotten in where the pump was and put 1/2" pipe insulation around everything I could find and on the corners. No matter where the water is on, kitchen shower bathroomn they bang or nock in different places and it is quite loud. other than that I love the 3400rl, this is my second montana.
thanks and have a good day
Allen in MT

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Allen,

Where possible, you need to find ALL other places you can that have pipes and that you can wrap. Like, in a washer/dryer hookup area (if you are plumbed for that). Those pipes banged around like crazy in ours. Al put that pipe insulation around that area too, and it helped. Look under sinks, in cupboards, ALL around.

He also put some carpet padding UNDER the pump.

And, put in some flexible hose (think it is a kit from CW) that replaced the OEM stuff, this is the hose that comes right out of the pump. He only did one side, think the other one would have required the body of a pretzel and he said he just wasn't going there.

Might check with OntMont, he installed another kit around the pump and I believe he is very happy with the results.

After fixing all that, we figure whatever sound is left, is a "camping" type of thing, adds to the atmosphere.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I noticed mine only does it when I run water off of the fresh water pump. On city water, my waterlines are silent. I will probably change out the water pump next year to something much quieter and more efficient. Might want to look at switching out the pump.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I noticed mine only does it when I run water off of the fresh water pump. On city water, my waterlines are silent. I will probably change out the water pump next year to something much quieter and more efficient. Might want to look at switching out the pump.
Same here, which makes me wonder if it's the pipes or the pump.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Shurflo makes an accumulator that you can add to your water lines to help solve the problem. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Check the water pipes in the garage area to "loo" and the sink in the bedroom. I not only added the pipe insulation, I added pipe strap and screwed the pipe to the wall. This stopped my pipe noise. Also, I added some insulation around the vent pipe.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
I had the same problem on my 07-3650RK. The noise was so bad inside and out, that a fellow camper was laughing at me saying I was keeping the whole campground awake. I was so embarrassed that I did took it back to the dealer the following Monday to get it fixed. They rapped a few water lines and said that’s all they could do. And that the noise was normal. It was not much improved. I wrote to the factory about my issue and got no response at all. So I took matters into my own hands and reworked the fresh water system myself. After securing and insulating every visible pipe the noise was still present. It was better but not acceptable. So I replaced the pump with a Shurflo 5.7gpm smart pump and installed a Shurflo water accumulator. That fixed the noise problem completely. Now I have plenty of water pressure and a very slight hum when the pump is running. NO MORE BANGING PIPES. I have to listen closely to hear if it’s on.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I was told by a dealer that most of the hammering was caused by the elbow ot Tee that comes out of the water pump. He told me to go to the hardware store and get a reguler 1/2" water line like under your kitchen sink about 16 to 18 inches in length and put this directly onto the outlet of the water pump. The water comes out of the pump and hits an obstruction or corner and this causes the hammering effect. If you have a long line on it this takes care of the problem. now off the the hardware store.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
05WAF350
Established Member

M.O.C. #6351
We found the system to do the same for about 3 minutes until our pump gets the air out of the pipes. WE usually turn on a couple valves to bleed the system of air and then the system is quiet.
05WAF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The water pump on our trailer makes more noise than any pump I have ever heard in a camper. Everything is tight and looks good but you can sure tell when someone is using water.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Same here. It sounds like a B-29 is taking off whenever we turn on the pump. If you look where the pump is located, it looks like a plumber's nightmare under there. I've padded and isolated everything I could reach, and still have the problem. My next step is to replace the pump. Hope that does it.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
ScottandBrenda
Established Member

M.O.C. #7752
I put foam insulation around all of the water pipes that I could reach - be VERY careful that you don't stress any of the elbows when you do this. Also, I replaced the pump with a "smart pump" by Shurflo and then mounted it on two rubber hose pieces. Cut each end of the rubber hose at an angle that runs away from the pump. Screw the pump onto the hose pieces, and then screw the hose pieces to the floor - it creates kind of an isolation mount - it's not perfect, but it cut down the noise considerably. It's like mounting the pump on rubber "runners", like on a sled. If you'd like to email us at Gideon630@AOL.com, I can email you a jpg of it. The noise comes from the hard plastic pipes slapping together, and the pump vibration. I don't think cavitation - the formation of air bubbles inside elbows and the like - could cause that kind of noise.
ScottandBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Replaced pump on 3400RL, did NOT help, pipes in wall behind shower are the problem.
See no way into this area without removing wall.
Will try air tank next.
Robb

4300RL 2007 Montana
Volvo 610 Pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote