Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Slide room cross bar

Not sure what you call it but we had the bolt that goes through the square bar that moves both sides of the room out at the same time. The bolt broke off on Sunday evening as we were setting up camp. I had to put a small bolt part way in. On Monday morning when I went to put the room in that bolt broke. Had to go to a trailer dealer about 5 miles down the road to get a hardened bolt. Then to line the holes up was something else. I am going to get a couple of more bolts to carry with me.

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
ronstan, that is a good idea to carry extra bolts. The usual problem that causes the bolts to shear is that the original bolt was to short and the threads were still inside the hole. The new bolts should have the shank protrude completely through the hole, even though it looks like it is to long, it is the proper bolt. We were told about this bolt problem at a rally in Minden, NV. by MIMF.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't think you want a hardened bolt as these are shear pins and are meant to shear so as to prevent damage to the slide mechanism. So says Lippert..We carry several spares..can be purchased at most any hardware store and are very inexpensive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Rich, you must have been a Boy Scout, because you always seem prepared for everything! What size and type of bolts do you carry? While we are on this subject, as a neophyte Montana owner, does anyone have a list of what they carry as far as spare parts, etc.? The Woodall's email newsletter had a good list recently for tools, etc. The only item I was missing was a rubber mallet. Thanks for any advice!
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Here is a link about the grade of the bolt!!!

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=22840
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bolts are 1/4 X 2", Grade 8 (hardness), steel with zinc plating. The hex nuts are Grade 8, 1/4". The aero-type locking nuts are desired, but not absolutely necessary. Got the bolts/nuts at a local Ace hardware store...no big deal to find them.

From the above link.....

As for spare parts .I watch the forum and when some little thing breaks I go out a buy a couple for spares
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote