Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
timsea
Established Member

M.O.C. #18354
water filters

bought a water softener for all the hard water we encounter how many still use a water filter also. and if so I assume it would go before the softener.Thanks

timsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I also just bought a water softener and plan to but the filter in front of the softener. Makes sence as the filter is there to protect any down line equipment.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have a course sediment filter before the softener and then have a 5 micron solid carbon and then a 0.9 micron absolute after that, but we fulltime. Sw florida in winter with extremely crappy water and other six months elsewhere. Used to run the evo filter from camping world and softener prior which worked well, but filter life was on order of three months. Softener needs regeneration less than two weeks...usually every eight days or so.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a household filter prior to the water entering the water softener. I purchased a household filter system with a clear bowl so I can see just how much materials are being trapped in the filter. Some say the clear bowl will let bacteria grow in the filter but since mine is in the basement and the doors are all closed and it's dark in there and the light can't get to the filter to let any bacteria grow. It all depends where I am parked on which filter I am using. Sometimes it's the white filter and sometime a carbon filter. When using the carbon filter I always let the water run out on the ground to make sure there is no loose carbon going into the water softener.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have a double filter household system in front of our softener.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
We use one of the inline filters that has activated charcoal in it ahead of our water softener. These type of filters reduce/remove chlorine (and other stuff). The media/resin used in water softeners "wears out" more quickly when exposed to chlorine. By using a filter that removes chlorine before the water softener, it extends the time before you have to replace the media.

Also, having a filter that removes sediment reduces the frequency of backwashing your softener (does not affect recharge frequency, that's determined by water hardness).

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote