Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Weather Stations for RV's

Is there a good weather station that can be mounted to our Monty's that can give current wind direction and speed while driving, as well as when you are parked and want to know if you should put out the awning out or not???

Old 04-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have seen several fifth wheels with them attached to the rear ladder, but didn't look close enough to see the brand. Searching for home weather stations pops up quite a few on the browser.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Most of them you see are from AcuRite.com. We take ours down when traveling. Trying to get an accurate guess while going down the road is more math than I want to do. Besides it's easy to know when the wind is too strong. If the rig lays down to take a nap it's too windy
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Most of them you see are from AcuRite.com. We take ours down when traveling. Trying to get an accurate guess while going down the road is more math than I want to do. Besides it's easy to know when the wind is too strong. If the rig lays down to take a nap it's too windy
Same here, the Acu-rite $79 mode. Gives me all the info I want. Now if I wanted direction and rain fall, then I would go with the $99 model. Both are available at Lowe's. No way would I keep it up and running down the road, as they just arent that strong for the wind force plus you would get inaccurate wind speeds. Now when I was in Skywarn, with the Weather Bureau, I did run mobile station, with anemometer mounted on headache rack on back of truck. Use to get alot of strange looks though..

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I like the zip tie setup, except what if the wind is coming from the direction of the front of your 5th wheel? :-)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I like the zip tie setup, except what if the wind is coming from the direction of the front of your 5th wheel? :-)
LOL..... well, that picture was taken sometime ago in answer to a query from someone here on the forum on how to mount the weather station using PVC materials. Here I cut a 3/4" 'T' in half, which would mount to a vertical pipe, so no, not using this as my setup in real life. I do mount it on my flag pole, which is attached at the ladder, and mount it, using hose clamps to about 10 ft below flag(s), which would give me about 10 ft above roof line of RV. Seems to work very well, and fairly accurate in its speed, temp and humidity readings.... at least good enough for me. Like I mentioned before, when I was in the Skywarn program, I was using a commercial type weather station and anemometer setup, so was very rugged. That setup cost me about $1k, but I was very into it as a volunteer for the Weather Bureau in Las Vegas at that time. Here in Visalia, we dont have any weather, .... BTW, I use to live in Truckee and I know about that weather up in your neck of the woods.
2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OK, got it. Is the flag pole a good ground for lightening? :-) So I guess i will get the nicest Accurite, and then someone was telling me there is an app for your i-phone that will beep at you, if the wind is getting rough near where you are driving??? Yes, we had about 18 feet of snow in the past two or so months that I had to shovel quite a bit, even though I have a snow service and a snow blower. Now I am blinding people in Texas with wearing shorts and my white legs, since they have not seen sun since last summer!!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
I use an Acurite 5-in-1 mounted on a fiberglass flag pole that I set up when we are parked for more than on day and take it down for travel. I choose the 5in1 so I could monitor rainfall as well as the other readings.

These are in the $100-$150 range depending on which sale is going on and what display you select. Get on the Acurite email list, they are ALWAYS running some kind of sale on stuff.

None of the " consumer grade" (i.e. inexpensive) systems will stand up to being used while in motion, too much vibration and sustained high speed wind. The wind speed and direction would almost never be right because the sensor is always changing orientation relative to north and the wind speed (and to a large extent) direction readings are also affected by vehicle speed.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've got a weather center, took it with us once when travelling...too much trouble to set up so now it's in the back yard. My weather center, on the road, is my cell phone.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
I've got a weather center, took it with us once when travelling...too much trouble to set up so now it's in the back yard. My weather center, on the road, is my cell phone.
Mine is the window..😃

Mark