Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Three flat tires

Had new metal valve stems put on TV and Monte last week. Put my Pressure Pro transmitters on all my tires getting ready for trip tomorrow. Wife got home thus evening and called me to say that both front tires were flat. Checked the rest if the tires and found that one of my inside rear tires was flat also. I had the transmitters as tight as I could get them. Anybody ever had similar problem?

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's a new one on me. Not really sure what to advise, it's been a few years since we used Pressure Pro. I guess I would look inside the sensor where they connect and see if there is some sort of washer that's missing on the ones that leaked. Since they all didn't leak, something must be different with the three that did.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If I remember right my TST 507RV instructions said not to over tighten the sensors. Did not say why that I remember.
When I installed mine I first heard a little hiss as they screwed down. But that quickly stopped within another half turn or so and I just snugged them down. And no problems with any leakage later. But I still have the original stems as the TST 507RV instructions did not mention the need for metal stems.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
did the installer put sealing lube on the rims beads? A lot of these guys don't clean the rim edge and you get leaks, and some use bead sealer to help. Especially with aluminum rims that are prone to leak around the bead
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You will have to figure out where the leak is first, bead or sensor. The TST's have a small rubber washer that must be inserted prior to the sensors being installed BB_TX is correct, they do not have to be over-tightened and his description of tightening until the hissing stops is likewise correct. I think I would take the sensor off a tire, air it up and check pressure to see if the tire itself is leaking, if the pressure holds, then I would think the sensors are not sealing properly. The real question is whether you damaged the tires if they went flat enough to sit on the rims??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You might air the tires back up without the sensors and spray some soapy water on the stems to see if they leak without the sensors. If no leak, install the sensors and try the soapy water spray again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My old 510 units needed a little Teflon tape to help make the seal. I suggest you put them back on and spray a diluted dish-washing spray on them to see if they are still leaking.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been using the pressure pro for over 7 years without a problem. I never heard of the problem you had??? Maybe call pressure pro...
I know that when you are installing the sensors if you listen real close you can hear a puff of air as you tighten them down. Maybe you did not tighten then down enough///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
In today's world of unparalleled craftsmanship, I'd take a close look at all the tires that got dismounted to install metal valve stems. I'd also check the lug nuts as well. This reply assumes all was done the same day.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Check the valve stems. They may need a small turn. I had one to leak and have helped others with the same problem.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
mmgeol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10293
I had pressure loss with my Pressure Pros and Jaybird suggested I check the valve stems. Stem was not screwed in enough and have not had a pressure loss since.
mmgeol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have the pressure pro and mine leaked with my new metal valve stems on two tires. Turns out the valve stems needed more torque. No leaks now.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I had that problem because I tighten them too tight and damaged the rubber seal in the sensor. I would do like was suggested before a spray stuff on them and see where the leak is.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Are we talking truck or camper? Inside rear sounds like truck. Bet the stems loosened.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
It was the truck. Thanks for all of the comments. We went camping and had no cell service so I am just now getting to read them. Took the sensors off of the wheels that were flat, left them on the Monte. Took truck over to my mechanic to check tires. On one of them the valves stem core was loose. The other two we couldn't find anything wrong. Pumped up all tires and they did fine on the trip and back. Noticed when we put sensors on the first time that they were hard to make sure that they were on tight because of the small space that they go in and my big hands. Oh well, they worked fine on the rv and that is my main concern right now. Took them all off and just washed the Monte, turned off all power and backed her in the garage until Jan. when we will visit with Jim and the crowd in Charleston. Then we will check out the Pressure Pro again. Thanks again.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote