Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
G614

Seen a heart warming scene this morning, I was in getting my new G614's mounted at a local tire store I deal with, and leaning up against one of there tire machines was a G614 still inflated on the rim with no tread on it. I can imagine what kind of damage that did. I asked one of the guys there what he thought happened , and he said they ran it underinflated. I am going back there this afternoon, and will look at the date on it to see how old it is. Does not give you a warm fuzzy feeling when the tires you are buying seeing one that has failed.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I just had my G614s put on today also. Wouldn't you know the first time I log back in to this site and I read this! GY Truck Tire dealer had to order special steel valve stems to fit the Tredit To4 wheels. The stems have a double lock nut on the underside.
Your news sure isn't heart warming to me! These tires have a good reputation or I wouldn't have bought them. Hopefully you can get the date off them and any other info. thanks
Chuck
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I don't want to start bad rumors here, but on the RV Forum, there have been some cases of the G614's failing.
It's possible that there are causes beyond our control. Acts of God or running over a sharp object in the road. Low air pressure too.
NO tire is infallible!

I'm still sold on them! I will be getting my G614's & metal stems put on in the next two Weeks.
Guess what?...... the Goodyear dealer here in central WI, is giving me $$$ back on my Missions!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Went back to the tire shop this afternoon, the date on it was 50/07 just over 2 1/2 years old. From the looks of the rim dirty and scratched up things were not very well taken care of, the rim looked like it had never been washed since new lot of plain old road grime, so to me other things could of been lacking, excessive load under inflation etc, of course the guy could be meticulous about load and air pressure ,and care nothing about appearance., but what I have seen from rvers is that a rig that looks well taken care of is a rig that is well taken care.

Sheepdog, I find that curious on the valve stems you mentioned, I just purchased some valve stems from Lonnie here on the forum called a TR416 high pressure valve stem that fit my 2008 3400RL alloy rims, they have a single nut that goes on the outside in the recess of the rim, it came with two different size rubber washers depending on the bore size of the rim mine takes the smaller of the two. Not knowing what a TR416 was until now after seeing it, it is the same stem in a set of rims that I have that also fit my Montana fifth wheel that are rated for 110 psi., so that seems to be the standard valve stem for these type of rims. They are a older set of alloy wheels, but same lug pattern.My point is I have not heard of this double nut system that you refer to. Maybe Lonnie can enlighten us, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

I don't want to start bad rumors here, but on the RV Forum, there have been some cases of the G614's failing.
It's possible that there are causes beyond our control. Acts of God or running over a sharp object in the road. Low air pressure too.
NO tire is infallible!

I'm still sold on them! I will be getting my G614's & metal stems put on in the next two Weeks.
Guess what?...... the Goodyear dealer here in central WI, is giving me $$$ back on my Missions!

Roy
And let's not forget loading up that 15000 lb fifth wheel to 18000 lbs or sailing down the highway at 80mph...those might also be a couple of reasons tires fail.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have had these tires for 4 years now. Any tire can fail from either user error or road hazard or what. We did a 6000 mile trip last year and the tires show hardly any wear. What surprises me is that over several years these tires have held the high pressure with little pressure adjustment. I will most definitely stay with this tire on the Monty.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I remember some discussion about the failures on G614.
Look at the attached post.
There were some problems but it was a few years back, look at page 2 of the post.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...s=g614,failure

IF anyone is changing tires, when they take off the old ones, look at the tire bead area for any cracking or splitting.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have met a couple of folks that have had G614 failures, one was a road hazard hit from a piece of sheet metal. The other was a low pressure situation and Goodyear repaired both rigs with just pictures and the return of the bad tires on their dime. Even with a failure they are made by Goodyear and Goodyear is very easy to work with. I plan on a set of G614s in the future but since the Marathons I have at present are only a year old I will keep them another year or so... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had my GY G614s since late 2007. My next set will also be GY G614s unless there is significant decline in the product.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Aircraft break up in flight too. There will always be some structural failures no matter how well built the tire is. The point is that G614s are designed to take a higher load than the E load rated tires that come stock. The risk of failure should be greatly reduced.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
G614's are a good tire perhaps among the best but I am not hung up on they the only tire for a Rv. we had no problem with our Missions in 10K miles. We now have generals that we had to purchase when our Coopers were destroyed in our axle shift issue. We had no problems with the coopers and we are having no problems with the generals. We have the TPMS. We monitor our tire pressure closely. We run at 62/63mphh and we are not overloaded. We did have our tires balanced and we now have the IS system which we will have checked for alignment in Goshen this September. IMO improper care and maint is the biggest killer of tires not to mention speed and overloading.
My local tire guy sells G614' and one can see them in various states of destruction in his "tire pile" at the rear of the shop along with other brands..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

G614's are a good tire perhaps among the best but I am not hung up on they the only tire for a Rv. we had no problem with our Missions in 10K miles. We now have generals that we had to purchase when our Coopers were destroyed in our axle shift issue. We had no problems with the coopers and we are having no problems with the generals. We have the TPMS. We monitor our tire pressure closely. We run at 62/63mphh and we are not overloaded. We did have our tires balanced and we now have the IS system which we will have checked for alignment in Goshen this September. IMO improper care and maint is the biggest killer of tires not to mention speed and overloading.
My local tire guy sells G614' and one can see them in various states of destruction in his "tire pile" at the rear of the shop along with other brands..
Rich, My thoughts are I have pushed my mission tires as far as I think I should, several thousand miles and 2*1/2 years. I am not to excited about putting out the money for the G614's, but from everything I have learned about tires they give me the best chance against failure. My OEM tires are E rated at 3520 per tire, no way with a 15500 GVWR fifth wheel will I drop to a 3042 E rated LT tire regardless of quality, many do, many don't. The choices are pretty limited if you want to stay with 3500 lb. rating or above. The G614 is one option ,and going 17.5 is another.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
PSFORD99,
I am a proponent, of say the concept of the GY, G614.
The concept,
A tire designed for trailers.
A G rating.
It has a truck tread design, not s M&S (mud/snow) design, the truck tread design will dissipate the heat better.
If I had the money I may of changed everything and gone to a 17.5 size and tire, again designed like the G614.
If there is another tire out there, 16", designed for trailers, has a G rating, and a truck tire tread, I would serious look at it.
Does anyone know if there is one, if so let us know.
Thanks
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
When I had my G614s put on yesterday by my local GY Truck tire dealer did not balance them, said they don't balance trailer tires and the rims don't have anyplace to put weights. Noticed no weights on the rims with the stock Marathons either. For those of you with them were they balanced?
Chuck
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours have weights on them. In prior balancings, some places used stick on weights on the inside of the rim. Ohters used the standard clip on weights. As far as I know I never threw one off but it wouldn't really be easily noticeable if it did. Not right away, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

When I had my G614s put on yesterday by my local GY Truck tire dealer did not balance them, said they don't balance trailer tires and the rims don't have anyplace to put weights. Noticed no weights on the rims with the stock Marathons either. For those of you with them were they balanced?
Chuck
Had mine balanced same as any other alloy rim, weights on the inside. You are correct the OEM tires are not balanced, but balancing sure can't hurt anything.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not hung up on the name "Goodyear" either. However, if it ain't broke don't fix it. With General tires I had tread separation in 3 out of four tires. I went to G-rated Chinese manufactured tires and experienced 2 out of four tread separations.

My tire experiences were not related to wrong inflation or road hazard. I drive 58 mph +/- 2, so speed was not a factor. My new rig came with the Mission tires during the time when the Missions were having so many failures. Although mine did not fail, I had had enough damage (over $5,000) done to my first Big Sky by failing tires. So I went to the GY G614s after 5,000 miles on the Missions.

I am sincerely happy for anyone who has had better experience with Missions, Generals, or any other brand of tire. I don't assume my solution is the best solution. It is a solution that I have found successful where other choices failed. Whatever others decide about tires is fine with me. I won't criticize your solution, just share my experience.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #18
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
A good friend of mine borrowed a 2007 Montana from another friend for a trip to Texas from NJ. He stopped overnight near us in Western PA the first night out. This was last Wednesday(6/23). We discussed the tire issues at length including torquing the lug nuts. Two days later he called with a broken front landing jack (he ran it up too far and broke the worm gear). I was on line in "Central Command" directing him by cell phone to the nearest Montana dealers. Most wouldn't even look at the traier until the following week! After helpful research on this forum, I was able to find the jack vendor (Venture @ 866 365 1957) and contact them. They shipped a new leg assembly to him at his SanAntonio, Tx destination this past Tuesday and this problem is solved. But, last Friday while I was contacting Venture my friend called again; he had a blowout in Kentucky. The tires on the 2007 montana were original OEM Missions. He was near Camping world and a Tire Dealer, where he had two Firestone Transforce H/Ts put on. He stayed there that night and had the other two Missions replaced as well with the firstones the next day after some discussion with me. All has been fine since and he is in TX and will begin return to Nj tomorrow.
I know this was long winded but thought I'd relay the experience. It prompted me to replace my new OEM Marathons this week with the GY G614s!
Chuck
Old 07-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Let me point out we replaced our OEM Missions on our 06 Montana 3400 at @10K miles. We had no problems and they were wearing normal. With all the reported failures we did not want to temp fate
We replaced them with Cooper tires. We are a fan of Cooper tires. The Coopers had about 30K on then when we had a shackle nut problem that caused the axle to go out of line ruining the Cooper tires. We could find no replacement Coopers so we purchased four Generals. They have maybe 5/6K on them as of now. What I am saying is we had no problem with any of the brand tires. My intent was to go with the G614's when the Coopers needed replaced but did not have that choice at the time. We will go with a good tire that has the proper load ratings when the time comes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #20
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
That's it...going to Goodyear dealer on Tues & order G614's!
I have dealt with this dealer for over 20 years & they are honest. They quoted me a $50 per tire credit on my Mission's.

Yes, they will balanced......

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote