Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Good deal on new '08 3605RL or not?

We are moving up from a 24" Komfort TT. The Montana 3605RL is looking like a good fit for us, so we started negotiating on a new '08 Tenth Anniversary Package unit that has been on the lot for around 5 months. It has a lot of the options, central vac, king bed, electric fireplace, aluminum wheels, rain sensored Fantastic vent, and gen-prep. The list is ~$67,600, I offered $40,500 cash to start with and they came back with $48,800. I then countered at $43,000, he ran off then came back with $48,300 (and a "that's about as good as we can do"). I then said $44,000 was our limit and it kind of looks like we were going to be too far apart to get a deal done.

So, we got up and were saying our good-byes and thanks, and he says he'll take our last offer to his boss to see if they could get some kind of help from the factory, and then give us a call tomorrow.

The wife and I then went to have some lunch, talk about the 5er, and a new Tow Vehicle. Well, before we got our food, the phone rings. It's the salesman, and he comes back with $44,500. We told him that we would talk about it some more and get back to him.

It wasn't all that bad of an experience, definitely not as grinding as it is at a car dealership, because the whole process only took 15 minutes.

Anyway, back to the original question, is $44,000-$44,500 a good deal or not?

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
That's about a 35% reduction. I would say go for it. With the tight market you might get them to give up the last $500,but why go that hard. You want the dealer to be there to provide service as you may need it. Before you do go for it,however, you may want to check out his service department and some referrals if possible. If that is poor, where is the closest Montana dealer?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
I would look on keystones web site. I believe they are giving $3000.00 dollar rebate on 2008. jim
P.S. You didn't say if it was a 2008 but thought I would let you know about the rebate if it was.
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As Jima nd Deb said don't forget to check out the Montana web-site as well. Keysone-montana.com There is a factory incentive coupon that you pull out at the end of your negotiations that should get you another 2-3,000 off the agreed price. The dealer cannot argue it, because they get the ful amount of the incentive from the factory.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Short of having all the emotion and excitement about a new Monty that you folks are probably experiencing right now - I would have to take a conservative seat and say you haven't tightened the screw tight enough.

In a prospering economy and easy loans, 25% was a good deal and 35% was a great deal. Today, at least to me, 35% would be a minimum deal if you don't have a trade.

As these things are luxury for the most part and financing is going to become nearly non-existant without substantial collateral, I think most of the inventory out there will be covered in dust by next spring and the a good portion of the companies with their names on the side of the rig will have vanished.

If I had discipline, I personally would start looking for repo units. Too bad I don't .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
I think it sounds high, I have a 2008 3400RL I ordered from a dealer in Indiana. I would not think the 3605 can be priced much different.The 3400 price was about 36,500 eguipted with the things you mentioned which most are standard. The options I added were the Onan 5500 LP generator ,slide awings on all four slides,high gloss exterior , which I doubt would be on the one you are looking at most are standard exteriors unless ordered. carpet color change, and the MorRyde pin box. They come standard with the MorRyde suspension, but the pin box is an option . With all that added I still payed less then what they are quoting you. I would check some other dealers, I could give you some places if needed.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Remember to consider transport charges, our new friend here is from Oregon.

That said, price sounds a bit high to me as well. We heard numbers tossed about this last week at the Rally, in Elkhart County, where there are almost NO transport fees, and a $65,000. unit, was offered to a MOC member for about $37,000. with NO trade in in the mix.

The banking mess is shutting down on loans on RV's. Be sure you have your financing in order.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Remember to consider transport charges, our new friend here is from Oregon.

That said, price sounds a bit high to me as well. We heard numbers tossed about this last week at the Rally, in Elkhart County, where there are almost NO transport fees, and a $65,000. unit, was offered to a MOC member for about $37,000. with NO trade in in the mix.

The banking mess is shutting down on loans on RV's. Be sure you have your financing in order.
I could have had the 5ver the OP is describing for less than 40k and either having it shipped to me or getting it myself. I chose to go back to Indiana to get it , I did the math it was about the same to ship it or pick it up myself. I wanted to take the trip to see a little of the country. It was right at 3400 miles round trip. (Utah)
Naturally Oregon will be farther. I think most people think it will cost too much to ship it ,but the money I saved plus my expenses to get it was far less than the price I would pay here locally. You have to remember they also have a shipping cost added to that price. Take away the shipping costs they are still alot cheaper in the east than here in the west. I think he can get it from the east for under 40K to his door or pick it up himself. Either way is going to be cheaper, besides if they chose to go get it they can see some of the beautiful midwest. A bit flat ,but nice
Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jim n deb

I would look on keystones web site. I believe they are giving $3000.00 dollar rebate on 2008. jim
P.S. You didn't say if it was a 2008 but thought I would let you know about the rebate if it was.
Yes it is an '08, I think the rebate is probably what he took off his last come-back of $48,300 (plus another $800) to get it down to the $44,500.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by up2nogood

I think it sounds high, I have a 2008 3400RL I ordered from a dealer in Indiana. I would not think the 3605 can be priced much different.The 3400 price was about 36,500 eguipted with the things you mentioned which most are standard. The options I added were the Onan 5500 LP generator ,slide awings on all four slides,high gloss exterior , which I doubt would be on the one you are looking at most are standard exteriors unless ordered. carpet color change, and the MorRyde pin box. They come standard with the MorRyde suspension, but the pin box is an option . With all that added I still payed less then what they are quoting you. I would check some other dealers, I could give you some places if needed.
Wow! That is a big difference in price! Which dealer was that, and how difficult was the haggling process with them?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jim n deb

Yes it is an '08, I think the rebate is probably what he took off his last come-back of $48,300 (plus another $800) to get it down to the $44,500.

Quote:

Wow! That is a big difference in price! Which dealer was that, and how difficult was the haggling process with them?
Sent you a PM
Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Could you send us a pm also of the dealer? We where at the Baltimore RV show about 1 month ago hopeful to see a 3075 ( must fit in the garage). The salesman there was terrible. He started running down our 2955 without ever laying his eyes on it, started with tires, to alum. rims are no good, right down the line. His price on the 08 3075 standard no real extra's was over$40,000. When he gave us the price I said that is way to much and his response to me was "Women you are nuts". At that point I was totally done. If it is an 08 without the added basement room, and new features of the Anniversary Edition it should be a lot more neg. than that. So..... we may consider the dealer you where talking to.... you never know. We just dropped it after that. In today's market I thought we could have found a better deal and a much better salesman!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:

Sent you a PM

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Could you send us a pm also of the dealer? We where at the Baltimore RV show about 1 month ago hopeful to see a 3075 ( must fit in the garage). The salesman there was terrible. He started running down our 2955 without ever laying his eyes on it
Ya - don't let him run down that 2955. Those were/are one of the top 2 most popular models they ever made.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks!

You could tell he was setting the ground to give us a low price on ours, and a high price on his. We would not have bought from him if it was the best deal around.

We actually love the 2955 but would like a 3rd slide which would give us more living room space. Not sure if it is worth trading up for the price difference. We actually need the 2008 model as we carry a fold up boat under the Montana and with the new basements we would not be able to do so. Hard decision.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Hi Cindy...I would have walked away when the "women your are nuts" comment was said. As you know we also have the 2955 and I have "slide envy" too. We want the 3400RL so bad that we are always thinking of ways to justify the purchase. The economy helps us put the brakes on though. We will live with the 2955 for the first 6 months of fulltiming after we retire. We really love it and don't have the need for more room yet. Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Joanie.... you are so right. That's exactly what it is, slide envy. You nailed it on the head. It must be exciting to know you are that close to your dream. We are so happy for you.

FYI... I called the dealership that was P.M. to me and it was a $9000.00 difference in price for the same model that was quoted to us prior from the dealer at the show. It pays to look/call around.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Cindy...When we went to LazyDays and looked at the 3400RL last month they wanted full price...in the $60,000s with a trade. Of course they didn't want to give us retail for our trade, but wanted retail for their unit. They kept calling us for a week after we left and said we had to think about it. I asked them how much it would be if we sold our 2955 on our own and purchased the 3400 without the trade. The answer was $48,000. I'm sure they will all deal at this point, but finding a buyer for our 2955 and getting a decent return is very very iffy right now. Sooooo, like I said, the 2955 is just fine for now. Joanie
Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Joanie, we have been fulltiming in our 2955 for over 7 years and have found it to be just right. There are places we would have difficulty getting in with a 3400. The only thing we don't have that would be nice is a washer/dryer. But, I, too, get slide envy from time to time and would pick a 3400 or a Big Sky if given a bag of money.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Pam..that's great to hear about fulltiming in the 2955. We do love "The Casa" so much and would definately get the same color scheme if and when we upgrade to the 3400. I wouldn't want to lose that same feel. We only go out in it every few months from 3 days up to a week at a time. We always feel sad when we have to button it back up and go back to work. It definately is my happy place and with the right planning I know it will be big enough for us. The problem is all the pets!! Any helpful hints about how to store all my "stuff" would be appreciated. Joanie
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:

Sorry ladies, I'm re-commandeering this post!

Thanks for the info, up2nogood!

Yes, the one we were dealing on has the high gloss option. I really would like to have the dual pane glass and delete the fireplace, so it looks like I might have to get one ordered the way I want it. I gave Shane a call and he is sending me a list pricing sheet for all the options so I can put one together how I think it should be. He sounds like a pretty nice fellow on the phone. So we'll see if we can get a deal done with him and take a little excursion out to Indiana. He said it was about a 4 week time frame for Keystone to put one together.

Now all I have to do is round up a new TV so I can drag it the 2,000 miles back to Oregon. Been looking high and low for a nice SRW F350 diesel, crew cab, long bed, with a manual 6-speed transmission. Tough time finding one locally, most of them are auto trans. I have a V10 auto gasser, and it only gets 8 mpg towing the 24' TT. I don't even want to think about what it would get by doubling the weight of the trailer! I would guess around 5 mpg , so, it's a diesel w/ a stick shift for me. Hope I can find one soon!