Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
NEW BABY Montana on the Way

Received a phone call from Lazydays today and the informed me our new baby (2950RL) is going to be shipped tomorrow!!!!They said 4~5 days for shiping and two days for PDI and Robin and I will take delivery.

Now the rush is on to finish the TV and start packing the goodies to fill'er up and see if the DODGE can pull it.
Ya Hoo!! Oh wait that means I have to pay for it. YUCK!

Please give me all the questions that you would ask on the PDI so I am as fully checked out as I can be..

Oh Yes I do have to pay for it don't I. (still Yuck)

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Woo Hoo!!!!! So much fun! Did you decide to get the leveling system like we have and, if so, did Lazy Days install it for you?
Make sure you know where your dump valves are. That seems to be a popular question.
Where are y'all going first????
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
We have the PDI checklists in hand (I downloaded those weeks ago), but what we're looking for is anything else that might not be on the lists.

Tammy, I added the dump valves to my mental checklist (which isn't the best place to put it so I guess I will have to write it down). I will also ask about removing the window screens; suggestions for mold/mildew removal on the plastic trim; "out of sequence" slide outs (though we'll only have two slide outs); etc., etc., etc.!

Truthfully, anything you all can think of to supplement the PDI checklists will be GREATLY appreciated. (Winning Lotto Numbers for Florida Lotto will also be greatlyfully accepted to pay for the new "baby"!!)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh yes, do ask about window screens. If you figure out how to remove them, please let me know. We had to get our dealer to order a new one for us. Saw that one of ours was torn. We can't figure out how to get the darn thing out. But then, I'm still waiting for the replacement, so I'm not trying to remove the old one just yet!!

Post pics when you get "baby"!
Tammy

Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulations on your new pull toy!!! Enjoy, happy RViing...........
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Doug and Robin,
I can feel your excitement. Congratulations! Having experienced our PDI only 4 months ago, all I can say is it is worth all the time and effort. Make sure you warn the dealer you have a complete PDI check list. It took us about 4 hours for our PDI but it was worth it. No major problems upon inspection and nothing since then other than some minor adjustments after the first trip. At our PDI we found the galley tank valve had pulled loose which they fixed right away but at least we knew where it was! Also, we found since we had become fairly familiar with Montanas from reading the forum posts and also looking for 3-4 years, that we knew more specifically about Montanas than the guy doing the inspection. He owned a motorhome and did PDIs for all the RVs the dealer sold. Anyway, have fun and enjoy!!
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Tammy,

Funnily enough when we received the phone call about the upcoming delivery we were at lunch (we work at the same place) and one of the questions that I asked Doug about was a stabilizer "like the ones they talk about on the MOC Forum." Doug is REALLY bothered by the swaying/bouncing especially after having Class As in the past so I imagine it will be a priority.

Plan is to spend a week at Lazy Days' campground after the PDI/acceptance to do a "shake down" of the unit so we can address add ons, fixes, things that until you use them a couple of time (or more) aren't obvious even with an extensive PDI. Between the on-site Camping World and Lazy Day's service department we are certain we will be parting with some additional "buckage" to get the unit up to initial "snuff."

I am presuming window screen replacement isn't a real pressing issue for you right not considering the photos I saw of the s*#% (sorry that white stuff is a REAL four letter word for me outside of "pretty pictures")! I'll let you know what I learn. (Maybe I can do a "how to" photo montage of the process and post it.)

Sharon,

Yeah, I feel like I'm getting to have Christmas in April! As far as the PDI is concerned we'll let them know, but our experience with Lazy Days is that do a very thorough PDI and give you as much time necessary to go over the unit and ensure you are familiar with all aspects of it before they'll consider turning it over to you. As I recall, the PDI for our Class A was about three hours. This is the first year that Lazy Days has Montanas on their lot, so it may be a learning experience for all of us, but with the amount of money we are sinking into this (our first new (to us), new (to the world) RV) NO ONE is going anywhere and no money will be changing hands until we are happy.

All,

I can not, for the life of me remember what type of cabinet handles are in the kitchen. If anyone can share that information with me I would appreciate it. I want to know so I can decide what I will need to secure the cabinet doors for travel/protection from slide outs when they are slid in. My parents use wooden dowels slid through the double door cabinet handles as they are "U" shaped and placed on the vertical. Another option would be velcro through the handles. If the handles are knobs I'll have to come up with some kind of "S" hook "thingy" to secure them.

Will keep you all posted!

Robin
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
As a great man once said "IT AIN'T over till its Over" I called Lazy Days to find out what the location of our Monty was.. They said they would call and see... I turns out that the fine folks forgot to pay the Factory for it and they were sitting on the unit until the payment was made.

NOW its gonna be another week for it to arrive.. BOOO!

I hope that this is not the start of a bad relationship with our new baby.

I already left a bad taste about Lazydays.

Doug
Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
We get our 2955RL this Saturday. Very excited also, What is the PDI checklist and where can I get a copy? Looks like something I may need during delivery meeting with dealer.
Newbie in Georgia.
Thanks
jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Tammy i don't think you need screens for a bit longer if the white stuff stays around john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robin,
Your methods of security the cabinet doors will work. I use a very small bungee cord with a plastic ball on the end. The bungee is looped on itself and terminated in the plastic ball. You slip the end through the handles and back on to the ball. They can be purchased at Academy

Now if you want the "redneck" cheap version, go buy a bicycle inner tube. Cut 1/2 inch strips (as many as you want and different lengths that you want). Make a loop, placing the two ends together and tie a knot to join the two together. You just made a bungee loop with a knot on the end. These are good for electrical cords, hoses, and other items that tend to unwind by themselves. Pull the loop through and hook it on the knot(ball)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #12
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
James,
Go to MOC home page and click on the RV Related LInks at the bottom of the page, then find the PDI heading. There are 3 or 4 PDI checklists there, we copied all of them and used the one we liked best to check off and ideas from all of them to get us started. Have fun and congratulations on your new baby! OH, don't sign the final papers or give the dealer his money until you are finished with your PDI, they deal with things much faster when they still own it.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne,

Cool! Gotta love the "redneck" options!

Robin
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
CONGRATS, TAKE YOUR TIME DOING PDI, AND MOST OF ALL ENJOY..
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Brad
I just got a good look at the picture of the Big Sky.. What a beautiful looking rig.... Might have to rethink the Monty... Robin Only Kidding

Doug
Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Okay, just went through the downloaded PDI and modified/personalized it a bit using my weeks of purusing this forum, prior experience, and those "little lightbulbs" that went off as I was reading through the PDI list.

Below I've listed what I added. This might help you all in future PDI's and/or have one of the "little lightbulbs" light and cause you to share some additions that still need to be made BEFORE we do the PDI on the "new baby."

1. Condition and operation of window screens to include how to remove and replace them. (For ease of cleaning screens and windows.)

2. Central Vac System - Ensure all accessory parts are included, understand how to work unit, location of and how to change filter(s)/bag(s).

3. Outlets - location of exterior outlet(s) and proper function.

4. Location of Galley, Gray and Black Water valves.

5. How to operate (if possible) slide outs independently of one another.

6. How fill propane tanks to include removal from and installation in the unit.

7. Check wheels and lug nuts for rust.

8. Stairs - Deploy and stow exterior stairs. Understand proper retraction, stowing, and securing of stairs for towing.

9. Cabinets — Ensure that all the hinges and latches work well and are properly fixed (screwed in). Pull out all sliding racks to ensure they are properly aligned and work properly.

10. Furniture - Note (or photograph) proper furniture placement and how to secure it for stowing the slides and actual towing.

11. Blinds — Operate each blind (up/down, open/closed, day/night shades). Check blind drawstring hooks (if applicable) for proper/secure installation

12. Washer/Dryer – Test operation of unit(s). Verify there are no leaks and unit is properly venting.

ANYWAY, this is what I was able to think of in addition to what was already on the PDI. (Some things I just modified/added to some were brand new.) If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know and I'll add to my modified/personalized list and resend to the originator of the original list.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Robin
Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Doug and Robin,
Congrads, Nancy and I are new owners as well and can fell the excitement right along with you. I will say that we discovered real quick, with a spring delevery, all the great camping spots have been reserved for months.So start reserving those trips early and often. O yeah, make sure you ask...where's the gally dump and the water heater bypass valve. Good luck Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Steve and Nancy,

Thanks for the input, they have been added to the list!

Doug spoke to the salesman at Lazy Days mid-day today. They plan on us being in the "New Owners Lot" for at least three days so we can do the PDI, "test drive" the unit, have any/all issues dealt with in a timely manner, and so we can take the 5th wheel driving school they offer. We'll then move to the campground from there to ensure there are no other issues/concerns that manifest themselves in that period of time before we take the "baby" home to the "country estate" (five acres planted with pecan trees and a section enveloped by large oak trees, driveway, a level site for the 5th wheel, water, electric, and septic).

NOW all that is missing is the rig! Its "in route" and SHOULD be here tomorrow (I'm am NOT holding my breath as I am a "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" kinda of girl!) and if it is we'll likely be heading to Sefner, FL and Lazy Days to get started on the acceptance and "shake down."

Robin
Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Our new "baby" has been delivered...to the dealership! Arrived today and we will be starting the acceptance process on Tuesday.

I've finished modifying/personalizing the PDI from Mr. Tom Boles's website for our use...incorporated everything I could think of, what I gleaned from you all, and also added space for notes by each of the check off items. I also added a list of supplies/tools that I thought we would need to make the PDI process easier.

Now I have to email it to Mr. Boles in case he wants to incorporate the additions/changes.

We're in the process of doing the final "gathering" of things to take with us and I am preparing a shopping list of the things we still need to purchase (to include groceries). Tuesday will likely get here faster than I now want it to! LOL

Will keep you all posted!

Robin (and Doug)
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Congratulations!!! I know you are so excited! I can't wait to see pictures of the new baby! Y'all have a safe trip to Lazy Days Tuesday and take your time going over the rig. Then when you get in for the evening, fill us all in!
Tammy