Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Tire Pressure Monitors

Has anyone had tire pressure monitors installed on their rig?
Wonder what the Cost and how it is done?

dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See www.RVcams.com for information and pricing on the Doran system.....many of us have that system
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
thanks for the info ..... we were told (by a Neighbour)that to install tire monitors we had to bring rig in and they removed tires, balanced ,, and installed.. etc..... etc.... sounded pretty costly. Didnt think he was correct .....
This website confirmed what we thought that you installed on tire valve in little time... sounds great..
Again Thanks, and Happy Holidays.
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
There is another tire monitor system that is mounted inside the wheel. I think it is very expensive. Can't remember the name right now.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
The inside the rim tire pressure monitor system is called SmarTire and costs about $1100 for eight senders and the receiver (price is a little old - I spoke with rep from Bob Dickman at the start of last seasons towing).

I was looking at buying it but when I spoke to one of the folks out at Bob Dickman's he asked if I had 'steel side belted tires' (i.e. the Goodyear 614RST G rated tires) which I do. Seems that the sending unit at that time would not 'reliably' transmit from the trailer to the receiving unit in the cab. SmarTire had a new model coming out that was better but he did not have the price or actual availability date then.

The reason I was looking at the internal ones was due to problems I'd heard (read about) -- people stealing the ones from the valve stems, valve stems breaking (they need to be put on metal stems not the rubber ones), and valve stems leaking. Have not read anything but praises on the Doran (external) sensors lately so I'm now looking at a set for myself as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am also a Doran user. Sure is nice to just go out to the truck and do a quick check of all my tires and know if I need to tweek them a bit before charging off. To prevent stem leaks, I keep them short (no extentions). That makes airing the inside tire on the dual rear wheels a bit of a chore, but the Doran keeps me from having to go into contortions to check them.

Nothing will prevent flats from road hazards, but maybe this monitoring system will help me get stopped quick enough to prevent the kind of damage and losses I have had on two of my four flats. Those losses totalled around $6,000.00 in body repairs on the Monty. They were insured, but there is the deductibles and the inconvenience to complicate your life.

I have 10 monitors, so my cost was $690.00 from Doran. The cost goes down by $50.00 per wheel that you don't have, i.e., 8 would be $590.00. If you just wanted to monitor the Montana, then you would be looking at $390.00. Replacement monitors run $50.00 each.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote